Low impact aerobic exercise

Options
I just recently got diagnosed with degenerative disc disease after trying to train for a half marathon. I've been having a flare up for the last month so I have not worked out. Was told to do low impact aerobic exercise: swimming, pilates, etc. So no more spin, running, lifting weights, etc for awhile until my back strenghtens back up and that's going to take awhile. So I did a schedule of physical therapy, back stretching class at the gym, walking, pilates and swimming and maybe the recumbent bike at the gym.

So my question is even with low impact aerobic exercise has anyone seen some good weight loss? I have never done pilates, swimming for exercise, and only walked sometimes on days I wasn't running. What benefits have you seen with pilates? Swimming?

Replies

• paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have rheumatoid arthritis so high impact exercises are a no go for me. Over the past 15 months I've lost weight mainly through watching my diet. Initially I just walked my dogs each day and as I gained confidence I started swimming a couple of times a week. In December I joined a gym and now go spinning once a week and use the exercise bike and elliptical trainer.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    You really don't even need to exercise at all to lose weight if your diet is right.

Diet creates the calorie deficit needed to lose weight. Cardio can increase that deficit or allow you to eat more, but should never really be the sole reason you create the deficit.

That being said, my mom weighed close to 400 pounds after her last pregnancy. She lost the weight by counting calories and the only exercise she ever did was go for walks. Not jogging, running, or anything else. Just walking. She has been around 150 pounds for years now.
  • bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    You really don't even need to exercise at all to lose weight if your diet is right.

Diet creates the calorie deficit needed to lose weight. Cardio can increase that deficit or allow you to eat more, but should never really be the sole reason you create the deficit.

That being said, my mom weighed close to 400 pounds after her last pregnancy. She lost the weight by counting calories and the only exercise she ever did was go for walks. Not jogging, running, or anything else. Just walking. She has been around 150 pounds for years now.

I love to exercise so once I lose the weight I gained back I will contintue to exercise. Low impact aerobic exercise is all new to me so I was seeing if anybody did that and still saw a loss and benefits of pilates besides weight loss. But I get what you are saying. Even without exercise, I can still lose if I eat a calroie deficit.

Wow and your mom lost all that weight without exercise. Exercise makes me want to eat healthy. I noticed a pattern with me: whenever I stop exercising I eat unhealthy.
  • denisek80
    denisek80 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a great form of exercise and is really good for toning your body, or aqua aerobics is very good too - it gets the heart rate up without putting any pressure on your joints/muscles
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I've got crunchy knees and occasionally clicky hips. Most of my weight loss has come from walking (just around the neighbourhood) and doing fitness DVDs at home - I use Rosemany Conley, as she always has a person doing the "easy" option and reminds you which to do if you have a weak back/are unfit. The "7 Day Slim-Down" even has a routine you can do in the chair.

After three months I've introduced Zumba - that is very energetic, but I don't do full jumping or anything which would shock the joints too much. But I keep my DVDs for a short morning workout (20 mins) and do a mix of toning and aerobics if I've not got the energy for Zumba. But chekc with your doc - as others have said you mgiht be best with water-based exercise.
  • succubaeangel
    Options
    Walking got me results. Try
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cE1jxDS3HY

I love doing it when I'm feeling ill. Or when I just can't go out cos it's too cold or too hot. :)
  • katimama
    katimama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    bump!

Due to a foot injury I can't do any high impact exercises (which is mostly what I do!), so I am looking for some success stories with low impact cardio exercises too. Even though it's only going to be about 6 weeks of low-impact work, I don't want to gain back any of the weight I recently lost and I'm scared that will happen if I can't keep up my regular routine.
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I am asthmatic and have dodgy knees (cartilage and ligament problems). I tried C25k but running proved to be far too high impact for me. Instead I walk, swim and do yoga. I have lost 56 lbs.