Struggling with logging

Options
Im having real difficulty keeping a log of everything that I eat. I have started writing everything down in a notebook to enter after dinner at the end of the day. As a full time working mum of a toddler I struggle to find the time. Can anyone give me some ideas on how to make it easier - or will it just get easier over time as I persist? How do others cope - do you eat the same thing every day to make it easier?

Replies

• wanabefitter
    Options
    I find it easier to try to log most of what i plan to eat the day before, that gets it pretty much done, and planned in advance. It also stops me eating stuff I have not checked out. At theend of the day I catch up, complete correct any differences and then plan the next day. And yes some repetition, breakfast is usually the same.
  • bluebear_74
    bluebear_74 Posts: 179
    Options
    As above, I log everything I plan to eat during the day or the night before. I also have the app on my iPhone and iPad so if I eat a snack I didn't plan on I can add it right away.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    eat with one hand, log with the other.
  • vkw1
    vkw1 Posts: 88
    Options
    I do it in the morning as I eat my brekky, plan the food for the entire day and adjust accordingly.I eat plenty of"normal" foods just log it all
  • ChrisC_77
    ChrisC_77 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I personally stopped logging all together about a month ago. I find it to be less stressful. One less thing I have to do. If you must log though, plan it out and do it when you have a spare 15 minutes or so and log everything you plan on eating and then fill in as needed.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    At the weekend I log on my i-pod if the PC is being used by others. I also try to log the day's meals first thing in the morning (including cups of tea!) so if I get peckish I know if I have anything spare - or if I need to do some exercise (or use willpower.)
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    * Log in advance. I know I will drink a pint of milk in my tea and coffee during the day so I log it first thing. Likewise with the majority of my food. It also helps you stay on track and not eat extra.
    * Log while cooking - pot simmering on the stove? Take two minutes to log
    * Use your phone - if you have a smart phone download the app. Much easier to log on the go and you can also scan in the barcodes of food to find things quickly in the database
    * Keep doing it - as you log foods they will appear at the top next time you come to log, making it faster. So, if you always have oatmeal with honey, when you click on Breakfast, they will appear the top. The more you log, the easier the logging gets.
    * Put half an hour to the side to input recipes with your favourite meals so you can log quickly next time (I have ones such as grilled chicken with baked potato, salad and dressing. Not technically a recipe but it means I can log the whole meal with one click when I am in a hurry).

I also have a set of electric scales permanently on my worktop. I put a plate on it when I'm getting meals ready and weigh everything as I go (sometimes I scribble down the numbers on a piece of paper and log after dinner)
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'd struggle to do it if it wasn't for the app on my phone - it's great and I love the barcode scanner which makes logging a lot quicker.

Once you have been using it for a while you'll find it easier as you have a bit of history built up. For example, I'm not great with breakfast so I have the same thing pretty much each day just so I don't have to think about it. Therefore, my cereal, milk and black tea is top of the list when I go to add breakfast, one click and it's added for the day.
  • theycallyoumister
    theycallyoumister Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I do prefer logging in advance. Regardless, I find logging takes a few seconds to a max of 2 minutes. I'm not eating all the time so it's not that difficult to remember to log whatever I missed later in the day.
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I try to log right after I eat but sometimes that's not easy when the kiddos are pulling for you to come do this or that. On those days I log after the kids are in bed when they can't bother me. If you have a pad of paper and can write it down right away then go back and log it later that should work. If you find yourself consistenly going over then try logging in advance like others have suggested.
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky where i spend most of my day sat ehind a desk with a computer (never thought i'd say that!) because it means i can log as i go. Because i can see the calories there in front of me as i log, it does give me more motivation and makes it easier to stick to my goal. I've tried pen and paper, but i could never stick to it. I think as most people have suggested, logging in advance may be your best bet. Good luck!
  • jillcwhite
    jillcwhite Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Scanning bar codes helps.............

Log in when you have time. After time of seeing what calories are in the foods you eat, you can guess about how many calories you are eating in a day. Then if your too busy to log you still have an idea what you are eating.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I work full time too and have a 4 year old. I find that the app on my phone is the most useful thing for logging. And I log pretty much as I am eating (!) so I can keep a track on how many calories I have left for the day and what those calories should be "made of" (it's always protein *sigh*)

I also log in advance sometimes if I've planned what I'm going to have for tea for example. That helps me to stay on track.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i log the night before what i know i'll take to work the next day, and while i'm doing that i get the next days meat out of the freezer to defrost, and decide what i'm doing with it. that way i know if i can fit in a drink or icecream, or if the dinner i've planned is higher fat so necessitating excercise to fit it in :)
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    At work I sit at a computer all day so I can log as I go, although I tend to log it all in the mornings as I can only eat what I have brought with me so its easy to do.

On weekends I rely solely on the phone app as I am usually out and about. I do it as I sit down to eat usually, or just after I have ordered, or whilst I am cooking, and sometimes, as soon as I wake up if I know what I am going to have.

With the phone app it really does take seconds to do.
  • MadamUnique
    MadamUnique Posts: 173
    Options
    eat with one hand, log with the other.

:laugh: Haha..

--

Anyway's, I suggest logging in advance or doing it AS you're eating. I have the application on my phone and find it a lot easier to log, takes me about 2 seconds to log a meal! :)
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I log on the app on my phone and/or log in advance.
  • wannatangle
    wannatangle Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I almost log in advance of my eating but sometimes while I am eating. If I know what I am going to have for dinner in the morning I go ahead and log it and this lets me know how many calories I can use to snack. I use the app on my phone for the most part. I only actually get online maybe once a day.