EATING TO MUCH ?

hiya i think im eating to much but met cal are under, yesterday my goal is 1200 ate 2284 but did 1263 in excercise so my net 1021 and have 179 remaning is tht right cofussed lol

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    A net goal is what you want to hit, yes.

A net goal of roughly 1000 calories is awfully low. Bump up your goal a hundred or two - at least - and see how you feel.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    How long did you exercise for?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    First make sure your exercise burn is accurate. What kind of exercise are you doing to burn that many calories?

Assuming your burns are correct you want to NET your goal.
  • How long did you exercise for?
    i walked to school which is about hour 4 trips and i went on treadmill and walked on it for an hour lol i do always do tht much on treadmill.
  • A net goal is what you want to hit, yes.

A net goal of roughly 1000 calories is awfully low. Bump up your goal a hundred or two - at least - and see how you feel.
    so if my goal calories is 1200 -1300 should my net calories be the same x
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    If you've always walked to school and it isn't a new thing, I wouldn't count it towards your exercise goal unless you've entered yourself as "sedentary".

If you have, and you always walk to & from school, I'd bump your activity level to "lightly active" and only count your treadmill work & other workouts
  • flex500
    flex500 Posts: 63
    hiya i think im eating to much but met cal are under, yesterday my goal is 1200 ate 2284 but did 1263 in excercise so my net 1021 and have 179 remaning is tht right cofussed lol

Honestly this whole "eat your calories" and "net calories" business messes so many people up. I can't understand for the life of my why MFP uses this formula.

you are so much better off having a set calories limit and hitting it. Use katch mccardle. You can search "katch mccardle calculator" in google and try it. The key is be honest about your bodyfat percent and exercise multiplier. Don't exaggerate either.

eat a set amount of calories everyday. Find the amount if takes you to get to "neurtral". Meaning let's say it says 1600 calories. eat that everyday and monitor yoru weight. If you stay the same go down 10-20% in calories. If you lose weight stay there until you stop losing.

I thoroughly believe this way of eating "net calories" messes up many people in their weight loss journey.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Do you walk for an hour, four times a day to school? Or is your total walking to school time only an hour.

The MFP calorie expenditures are off which is why I mentioned this. If I walk (3.5 mph) on the maximum incline setting on the treadmill I only burn about 650 an hour. Jogging for an hour at half the maximum incline will burn about 550 for me.

Just make sure that's correct first, then just subtract about 20% from your bmr+exercise burn.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    I'd change the activity setting to reflect walking to school, then just add in the treadmill. Keep in mind that MFP overestimates burns for many people. I usually eat back half to three quarters of my exercise calories.

You can do as the above poster suggests and eat a flat number of calories, but I personally prefer to add them in so I can see what I burned. It's a personal preference thing.
  • First make sure your exercise burn is accurate. What kind of exercise are you doing to burn that many calories?

when i walk to school i use my endomondo app and when i go on treadmill i just put down as treadmill thts on the exercise bit
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    First make sure your exercise burn is accurate. What kind of exercise are you doing to burn that many calories?

when i walk to school i use my endomondo app and when i go on treadmill i just put down as treadmill thts on the exercise bit

I don't know about the accuracy of endomondo, a lot of people here use it so maybe they'll chime in. I do know that the treadmill overestimates burns for me. I generally eat back about half.

I'd still go with changing your activity level to include walking. Then add the treadmill exercise separately and eat back 1/2 to 3/4 of the calories.

Alternately you could follow the advice above to calculate your activity level including all exercise, then take off 20% and eat that flat amount.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    It's hard to day without knowing more about you. I'm 5'4" and 200 pounds and I don't walk nearly as much as you, never on a treadmill, and yet I am still at a deficit at 2284 calories. (Though I actually aim for 2000.) My TDEE is 2500. But that calorie level might be maintenance for you, or it might be a bigger deficit than me. How tall are you? How old are you? How much do you weigh?

If you aren't feeling sick to your stomach going from 1200 to 2284, then likely your calorie goal ought to be somewhere between the two.