Question for the ladies (guys cover your eyes)

Options

Replies

• tracilynnie
    tracilynnie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I had terrible period pains and very heavy bleeding and at that time I was very fit and was on all the school sports teams. The pain and heavy blood loss continued all my life, even when I grew fatter and unfit. The only thing that sorted me out was having a baby. I also have a super-fit friend who, sadly, suffers in exactly the same way even though she has had a child. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful and, hopefully, you'll get sorted out and won't have to suffer much longer.

That sounds a lot like endometriosis. Apparently having a child can resolve the issues. However that doesn't work for everyone.

My doc said being pregnant is the natural cure for it but after having a baby it can come back especially if you have a c-section or like me have had 3..
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    For me exercise made a big difference: the flow itself hasn't changed, but the cramps went from "need a painkiller" to "don't feel a thing" when I changed my activity level from no exercise at all to exercise 6 times per werk.
  • welo1823
    welo1823 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I find the more I'm working out the less cramps I get. My cousin however, runs on a treadmill 6 days a week and is very fit and still suffers from horrible periods, migraines and cramps. Basically, everyone is different.

But good luck to you, I hope you're one of the ones who has an easier period because of exercise.
  • SariC3
    SariC3 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Mine are definitely not as bad when I'm exercising regularly vs not.
  • tracilynnie
    tracilynnie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I want to thank everyone for all the comments and suggestions (and yes orgasm LOL my hubby will be all about that :P) I have a big workout ahead of me today and since the first day of my period is always the worst (and of course today is day one) this will be the ultimate test for me.

I'll come back later this evening with an update on how I feel.. So far the pain is minimal but I haven't really been up and moving much yet today.

Wish me luck! :D
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I used to have awful periods, but went on birthcontrol that stopped them from being so awful.

Now, if I exercise a lot before I go off my pill, I know I'll get a withdrawal bleed. If I don't exercise that much, then I don't get one and can go along as normal.
  • slobkitten
    Options
    Why do people on here always tell men to not read or avoid reading anything related to periods?

Honestly if men are still grossed out about periods then they need to grow up. It is completely normal and not gross at all!! It's not a bloody horror movie, IT'S COMPLETELY NATURAL, PEOPLE.
  • brandipoo
    brandipoo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Well, in my situation my cramps actually got worse :( I'm currently just skipping them using birth control. I'm a huge advocate of those mini heating pads you put in your undies when I was having periods. Love those things. Good luck, madame!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Once I started exercising and eating better, my periods became lighter, less painful and shorter lasting.
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The more active I am, the lighter and shorter my period is. Typically I experience less cramping, too! That being said, if you ever find yourself skipping a period, you should contact your doctor. It could be a sign of excessive exercise and undereating. Better to be safe than sorry. :smile:
  • stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My cycle has actually stopped completely which I don't think is good either! I have other issues going on so looking forward to my docs appt in 3 weeks time to get this all figured out!! I certainly don't miss heavy periods though :)

You may want to look into amenorrhea... I experienced it when I was young. It's due to over-exercising/under-eating. And ohhhh boy it is painful when your period finally comes back.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the facts everyone, I just heard that from websites and I guess unreliable sources lol. Its great to get a females p.o.v
  • 2moonNback
    2moonNback Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have also had three c sections, HEAVY bleeding and cramping (Endometriosis) I also refused to be on the pill after having my tubes tied and right before Christmas I had Ablasion (sp?) done. BEST thing I have ever done! I also switched to a diva cup and it helped with cramping and gave me a jumping off point to tell the dr how much I was bleeding. Good Luck!
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've always had bad cramps, I haven't noticed a difference since I started working out or when I've worked out and lost weight in the past. My flow may have been a little lighter last month, but my tom has been much heavier since being pregnant(I have an 8 month old) so it may just still be going back to my pre-pregnancy cycle. I haven't been regular in a long time either.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I had the worst periods when I was overweight. Horrible cramps and very heavy flow and my period lasted the whole 5 days. Now that I've lost my weight, I don't even notice when I have my period(meaning no more cramps!) I have a lighter flow and it only lasts 3 days.
  • RigDiver678
    Options
    From what I'm reading, it varies girl to girl.
    Personally, I've always had horrible cramps and very heavy flow and haven't noticed any change since I started working out.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    potassium is good for cramps eat avocados, apricots and bananas
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    My periods are still painful and heavy. The only change has been I don't ruin as many panties anymore.
  • FitWithTiff
    Options
    My cycles are a lot different since getting healthier. I have less bleeding and they last way less compared to when I was a overweight and out of shape.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    The fitter you are the lighter the bleeding, the cramps will also decrease and sometimes you might not even see your period depending on how fit you are. So its a great plus to be healthier.

Interesting coming from a 22 year old male lol! Having a low body fat % can result in amenorrhea, but I wouldn't go so far as to say amenorrhea is a result of being "fit" and if your periods stop you should probably talk to a professional.

Also I wouldn't consider missing periods a "plus" but I can see that some would. Especially 22 year old males. :laugh:

I haven't personally noticed a difference in my periods since I became active 2 years ago. But I'm lucky and my periods aren't so bad except for the first day.