Tips for lowering sodium intake

ze_hombre
ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
So I have been watching my macros pretty closely lately and notice that my sodium is usually pretty blasted high (read: 1.5-3x MFP recommendation). I suspect that my high blood pressure that my doctor has been on my *kitten* about is likely due to this, so I am looking for ideas/thoughts on lowering sodium intake.

I know the obvious ones like lowering salt intake, but I don't consider myself as a salt fiend. I don't add a lot of salt to food, and apart from salted almonds I really don't eat any food that I would consider to be REALLY salty (although I have caught some surprising things like Olive Garden salad dressing last night). Anyone have any tips for foods that low in sodium?

Replies

• shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    I hhe same issue. I eat a pretty darn clean diet, and still find my sodium often in the 4000 range. That's with no chips, pre packaged meals or restaurant foods. No table salt. It just adds up. 200 here, 200 there. By the end of the day I'm at 4000. I have no advice becasue all of the advice obe would typically give would be the advice I'm already following.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    If you open up your diary we can help you figure it out better.
  • DRJ311
    DRJ311 Posts: 58 Member
    Sodium is a problem for alot of people. I personally HATE table salt and don't add it to anything. My sodium now is usually in the 1500-2000/day range. (This is after I obsessed about it, because I noticed I tend to hold a lot of water weight) Other than literally calculating all the sodium you take in, I would say just try to drink ALOT of water. Coincidenlty water will flush out the sodium. And sweat while exercising, that also helps get rid of sodium stored in the body.
  • asaw00
    asaw00 Posts: 1,904 Member
    Maybe try to read food labels better, somethings have lots of sodium and you wouldn't know it.
  • RatherBeFishing
    RatherBeFishing Posts: 61 Member
    I had the same issue as you did, I found the certain foods I was buying at the store was high in sodium like chicken. Some of the chicken/meat you get has water and sodium added to preserve the meat and add flavor. I started buying only my meat from a local butcher that doesn't add crap to the meat. After doing that my sodium dropped from 4-5000mg a day to 1-2000mg a day. I guess the real trick it reading labels.
  • MadMacMom0309
    MadMacMom0309 Posts: 21 Member
    I had to go on a low sodium diet a couple of years ago because I was prehypertensive and didn't want to go on medication. My doctor recommended the DASH diet (you can Google it) and I loosely follow that. Pretty much need to eat fresh foods seasoned with herbs and spices, stay away from frozen and canned foods, and limit the amount of times you eat out per week. Also read labels and never buy anything that has a per serving sodium content above 10 percent of daily value. I have been able to stay around 1500/day by doing this and my blood pressure has dropped.
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    I make my food from scratch (don't eat processed foods) and my sodium is always super low. I don't add any salt when I cook but I add a little after. It's actually easy to make your own food and quick!
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Cook your own food most of the time, eat more whole foods (fruits, veggies, unsalted nuts, etc...), season your foods with other seasonings besides salt (garlic, pepper...), watch your labels when you do eat packaged foods and drink your water.

I'm also having this problem but I'm trying to do better too. I rarely season with salt either, but I find that the less I eat out at restaurants (although I won't stop eating at restaurants completely :smile: ) and the more I cook for myself, it's gotten a bit easier.
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Along with the advice that people are already giving you, also pay attention to your potassium intake - it helps to balance out the sodium. Eating a lot of fruits and veggies will help (bananas, greens, sweet potatoes, etc.)
  • amarkle86
    amarkle86 Posts: 27 Member
    Sodium is a problem for me, mainly because I'm a lazy cook and several nights a week a prepare pre-made meals. I'm shocked to find out how much sodium is in things since I've started tracking with MFP. Like my herbalife protein shake I have for breakfast, close to 700 mg of sodium! That's outrageous!
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Sodium will only be an issue if you are eating processed foods. Sandwich meat is a killer. Cottage cheese (unless you get no salt). Sauces and dressings.

Mrs Dash is a great seasoning replacement.
    Cook your own meats.
    Don't eat anything out of a can.
  • Watch the Bread. I had the same issue. I was always up around 3,000 and quickly realized that things like bagels and the bread on my subway sandwich were the big hitters.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    i don't understand how this is possible myself mine is usually well under, infact sometimes i add salt to chips just to get a bit extra every now and then, and that's at 4000 calories a day, stay away from foods with salt in lol it's not difficult in the slightest :S
  • The only way I keep it in check is making all my own food. I hardly ever eat out, and keep packaged foods to the bare minimum (like a protein bar or my protein powder when I can't have a real meal). Doesn't work for everyone but it's the best way for me.
  • jh12262002
    jh12262002 Posts: 2 Member
    I have had the same issue, I am 36 years old and was told I was going to have to be put on blood pressure medication if I didn't get the sodium intake down. So I started looking on the backs of labels for sodium. I have learned what to not eat, examples packaged broccoli & rice, or any packaged flavored rice, soy sauce, alot of sauces in general, seasonings like taco seasoning are the worst. So I looked for substitute products with low sodium or limit my intake. Two weeks after doing this my blood pressure dropped to normal level.. Woohoo!!

Try to eat healthier and pay attention to those labels ;)
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    i don't understand how this is possible myself mine is usually well under, infact sometimes i add salt to chips just to get a bit extra every now and then, and that's at 4000 calories a day, stay away from foods with salt in lol it's not difficult in the slightest :S

Same!! I don't even track my salt because its rarely over 100-200 never in the 1000s
  • jackiesaurus
    jackiesaurus Posts: 42 Member
    I'm a pescetarian and eat pretty clean most meals. The only time I get near or exceed my sodium is when I have prepackaged foods (like canned clam chowder, or a frozen meal from trader joe's,) and when I eat out and eat italian or mexican food.
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    My problem is the use of canned tomato products. I cook but I do use canned tomatoes and canned beans. My solution is to start my beans from dry (I do a bunch and freeze them) and to use salt-free diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. It has helped.