Food to Take Camping

Options
GuitarJerry
GuitarJerry Posts: 6,102 Member
I'm going camping next week. This is my first time since I was a kid. I have everything I need, hopefully. But, now I'm trying to figure out the food situation. I don't care about healthy. I will have a couple of coolers with lots of ice. I'll take the usual, but. I need more ideas. I plan on hotdogs, but that's where I get stumped. I guess chicken? I was thinking about Pre cooking chicken. Breakfast is easy. I'll have eggs, bacon, pancakes, and cereal. It's lunch and dinner I don't have a clue.

Please help. Think easy. I don't mind cooking there. I have a Coleman stove, and there will also be a fire that I can cook on. But I don't want it to be a huge ordeal. I want simplicity.

Thanks.

Replies

• gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Booze, more booze, meat and more booze...
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    For me, camping is not complete without pudgie pies.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    S'mores! Duh :)
  • SquidandWhale
    Options
    Ramen + whiskey = camping.
  • Dawnomite
    Dawnomite Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    burgers
  • GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I get MREs for camping. So easy and you don't even have to cook them. They aren't all that great, but when camping it is more about proper nutrition than having a wonderful dining experience.
  • gerard54
    Options
    We always BBQ chicken, pork chops, steaks, bring chips, soda or juice, hot dogs, burgers, cookies, and some canned meat like corned beef if something goes wrong...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If you want easy, you can't beat freeze-dried backpacking food ;)

Camping out of a car? Eggs, chicken, pasta (cheese-filled tortellini is great), hot dogs, cheese (grilled cheese, don't forget the butter), oatmeal, bagels, and.... spam.

I'm not kidding about the spam. Fried spam with cheese on a bagel is the greatest camping food in the world, I swear to god.
  • SquidandWhale
    Options
    From the sounds of all the crap, AKA gear, you're bringing it sounds like you're doing some car camping. Bring sandwich stuff, chips, string cheese (if y'all like it) for lunches. Dinners can really bring anything you'd grill out: kabobs, chicken, hamburgers, hot dogs, etc. Lots of H20.

My type of camping requires hiking in, thus I keep it lightweight.
  • XLMuffnTop
    XLMuffnTop Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Ramen + whiskey = camping.

Oh the thought of that make me vomit a little.
  • cyndyeadams
    Options
    Make sure the meat is frozen when you put it in the cooler and block ice tends to last longer than cubed ice camping so use both. Canned chili with crackers makes a quick lunch. Have fun that's the important part.
  • Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    We always BBQ chicken, pork chops, steaks, bring chips, soda or juice, hot dogs, burgers, cookies, and some canned meat like corned beef if something goes wrong...

So the meat keeps ok in a cooler? I guess that was my question.
    If there is plenty of ice, it will keep for the day or two that it's in there. You could always make up burgers and freeze them, cook them the second day. Lunch is usually sandwiches and chips with fruit. I usually buy stuff that I don't normally have at home to make it a little more festive.
  • gerard54
    Options

I suggest freeze some of the stuff and keep the stuff ur gonna eat that day and night on ice..how long will you be out there for and most of the time there is always somewhere close to get supplies if needed...
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

Yes.

Just keep it packaged/sealed well, if there will be a lot of time before it is used. You don't want the ice to melt and get water into the packages.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Chili? I think that's a pretty popular camping food. You obviously need to make it beforehand though.
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    I love camping and have been doing it since I was a kid! Hobo meals are so easy, can be made ahead of time, healthy and can be made so everyone likes them, here are some suggestions:

Hamburger, potatoes, onions, broccoli, cheese and butter. Lay out foil, put the meat and potato on the bottom and everything else piled on top, fold the foil up to form a pouch and throw on the grill. I'm a vegetarian so I don't actually put the meat in mine, but this is the beauty of it! Everyone gets to put in what they like and how much they like. Potatoes and Hamburger take the longest time to cook so on a grill on med I say about 30 mins, you can open one, stab the taters and see if they are done, if not, refold and leave on longer. TIP: if you made them ahead of time, you can tell whose is whose by toothpicks or the way you fold them. Kids love to help make these. We also have made these with Chicken, sweet potatoes, califlower, butter and some brown sugar, yum. Fish and veggies are always good. There are so many combinations to be tried! Have fun.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I want to make these when we camp this year:
    http://eatinginneverland.blogspot.com/2012/09/onion-bombs-camping-food.html

We love foil packet food. Chicken breasts (I bring a frozen bag in the cooler and eat them the first night) with veggies (canned or whatever you want) is good, too. English muffin pizzas on a grill grate (or wrapped in foil on the fire) are fun for kids, too.
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    theoneandonlybrookie Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Will you have a grill grate to put over the fire? If so, make this. We do every time we go camping (which is often in the warm months) and it's delicious!

Beer Butt Chicken

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Beer-Butt-Chicken/Detail.aspx

Potatoes are easy to make, baked near the fire. We do pancakes and bacon in the morning. You can buy the add water and shake pancake mix to avoid a lot of cleanup.