HIIT - Anyone with Experience?

Options
I've been reading a lot about High Intensity Interval Training, where you blast out your intensity for a short duration at approximately 90-95% of your maximum heart rate and then spend a short duration recovering at about 70-80% of your maximum heart rate...and then repeat this cycle several times. I understand that this type of cardio workout is supposed to really burn fat at an elevated level without compromising muscle that has been built from strength training.

Does anyone have experience with this type of workout? If so, does this type of workout live up to its hype?

I experimented yesterday with this type of workout on the elliptical machine for 45 minutes, and it kicked my butt. I slept like a baby, and I have to admit that my clothes feel significantly looser this morning (although that could be from many different things).

I'm interested in finding out if anyone has achieved any successes with this type of high intensity workout.

Replies

• holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    HIIT won't make you lose weight overnight, but in my opinion it is the best workout there is. Experiment, but try the HIIT for a month, then assess your results.
  • Jtorres326
    Jtorres326 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I love HIITs. Not only have I noticed a change in my body since I started incorporating them, but my cardio endurance is better. Be sure not to do HIIT everyday. 2-3xs a week max, with some strength training will really help tone. But be aware of nutrition. I am noticeably more hungry on HIIT days and have to incorporate one more snack those days.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I liked the HIIT program that I was doing over the summer. It helped me speed up my running time, but I also felt like I was working out harder, which I liked as well.

As far as living up to the hype? I saw an improvement in my endurance and helped me decrease my mile time. I think any type of aerobic exercise has its benefits. Do I think its going to help you lose weight any faster- probably not. But it is a great work out!
  • JeceCanDoIt
    JeceCanDoIt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I ONLY do HIIT cardio - 30 sec sprint, 30 sec rest for 8-10 intervals usually .... LOVE IT! Love my results =)
  • dlainez
    dlainez Posts: 1
    Options
    It is absolutely amazing! I love love love it. the great thing is you do not have to go to a gym in order to accomplish this workout. the thought behind the technique is you work hard for a shorter period of time. I recommend looking at the website Bodyrock tv which has been recently rebranded as dailyhilt (high intensity interval training). They have daily workouts you can do at home with our without their equipment. The workouts are so encouraging for all levels and they have picture and video tutorials. I swear by them no matter what fitness level you are. enjoy! http://www.dailyhiit.com/
    and on facebook- http://www.facebook.com/BodyRock.Tv?fref=ts
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT 5 days a week. Treadmill I "walk" at a 4.0 mph speed for 30 seconds then crank it up to 7.2 for 1 minute, then repeat for 30-35 minutes total. Eliptical I do "normal" speed 30 seconds then balls to the wall with crossramp at 10 and incline at 7 for 1 minute and repeat for 30-40 minutes.
  • nacha325
    nacha325 Posts: 1
    Options
    Just started TurboFire (http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/turbofire.do) and I LOVE the HIIT workouts. They're so quick and I feel AWESOME afterwards. Of course, the whole program is super fun. :) Enjoy your HIITs!
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I am planning to start HITT 3x a week on my off days from my lifting program. Hoping for good results !
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Give me any questions you have I'd be glad to answer any and all inquiries. I've been running HIIT training for about 3 years now. I've experience with different focuses. Agility focus, straight cardio burn HIIT, Power HIIT training, Speed training, Top End endurance HIIT...etc.

I'm a certified trainer and also have certifications in Olympic power lifting and Agility training.
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I ONLY do HIIT cardio - 30 sec sprint, 30 sec rest for 8-10 intervals usually .... LOVE IT! Love my results =)

What results have you had??
  • xoyasminxo
    xoyasminxo Posts: 132
    Options
    I love HIIT. Zuzkalight.com has a lot of really great intense workouts for free!! I did HIIT for a year and had amazing results just after 2 weeks. Now I mix HIIT with strength training. And I rest at least once a week. At the beginning I rested 2-3 days, just because it was so intense and my body needed it. And you will maintain and build some muscle as well. For strength training I love www.lovingfit.com (also free workouts).
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it on the TM for the past week or so. Yes, it kicks your butt! I think depending on the times you use will determine how many calories you burn (and the equipment you are using). I like it because I'm not just on the TM "putting in my time" - by doing the HIIT you really have to give it 100%. And of course depending on the times you use the calories you burn will be different. Right now I'm doing 2 minutes walk 3.5 mph & 2 minutes run 5 mph over and over again for 30 minutes. The first week I did 3.5 & 4.5 - last week I upped my speed to 5. I think I'm going to follow this pattern (3x wk) for the rest of this week and maybe next week and then I'll keep the same speed but change it so I'm maybe doing 1 min @ 3.5 & 1 1/2 or 2 min @ 5. I wanted to get up to a decent speed (for me at least, LOL) before I started switching up the times. And when I get bored with that I'll switch it up again or move it over to the elliptical. It's the same thing we did in spin class during the high caydence parts. Unfortunately, we don't have spin at the gym anymore and the regular stationary bikes just don't cut it for that type of punishment.

I would say play around with it (time & speed) and give it a try for a month or 6 weeks and see what benefits you've gotten. It certainly can't hurt and hey, you are at the gym anyways - why not do this so you don't get into the rut of "just putting your time in"? If you are going to work for the burn & weight loss then you might as well "work for it". Good luck. And if you decide to stick with it for a while I'd be interested to hear back from you about it.
  • DRJ311
    DRJ311 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    HIIT cardio is AMAZING at burning fat. And you don't have to go to the gym,it can be done at home. Best thing is the treadmill. Incline for about 2 minutes, then decline and sprint for as long as you can, then decrease speed and walk it off for a minute or so and repeat for 25-30 minutes (speed & time will vary upon your agility, but it sure will get easier). I like to play with it alittle and switch up my routine every day. I do it 5X a week, and incorporate calisthenics. I sweat like a mother and it is the one workout I know has helped with my weight loss!
  • xoyasminxo
    xoyasminxo Posts: 132
    Options
    It is absolutely amazing! I love love love it. the great thing is you do not have to go to a gym in order to accomplish this workout. the thought behind the technique is you work hard for a shorter period of time. I recommend looking at the website Bodyrock tv which has been recently rebranded as dailyhilt (high intensity interval training). The have daily workouts you can do at home with our without their equipment. The workouts are so encouraging for all levels and they have picture and video tutorials. I swear by them no matter what fitness level you are. enjoy! http://www.dailyhiit.com/

Do the bodyrock archives with Zuzana (or zuzkalight.com) Hers are even better. I really loved the 50 sec intense,10 sec rest circuits.
  • finallydetermined
    finallydetermined Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Love HIIT - has improved my overall health and the burn is great.

My favorite I do on the treadmill but you could do any cardio
    2 minute warm up

30 seconds 90-95% exertion
    90 seconds 70% exertion
    (repeat 8 times)

2 minute cool down
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Turbo Fire, which includes several HIIT workouts using plyometrics. I have become a huge fan of both (HIIT and plyometrics) because of the changes it's made in my body.
  • SocialRopes
    SocialRopes Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i had great results with hiit on the treadmill, 2-3x week. after a 2-3 months it ended up being too much for my knees to handle. they were always hurting and i thought they were shot for good, but once i eliminated hiit i was able to start running again. it's been about a year since i've eliminated hiit and since then i can run long distances without my knees being in constant pain. great exercise and i miss sprinting and the results, however it just didn't work out for me.
  • KimPratt222
    KimPratt222 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    HIT is the only cardio I do! Whether it is sprinting, or mixing up different exercises. I love it. Look up some Tabata workouts....love those! HIIT is best for losing fat and keeping muscle on. Long durations of cardio is just not good if you want to be muscular as well!
  • KimPratt222
    KimPratt222 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely amazing! I love love love it. the great thing is you do not have to go to a gym in order to accomplish this workout. the thought behind the technique is you work hard for a shorter period of time. I recommend looking at the website Bodyrock tv which has been recently rebranded as dailyhilt (high intensity interval training). The have daily workouts you can do at home with our without their equipment. The workouts are so encouraging for all levels and they have picture and video tutorials. I swear by them no matter what fitness level you are. enjoy! http://www.dailyhiit.com/

Do the bodyrock archives with Zuzana (or zuzkalight.com) Hers are even better. I really loved the 50 sec intense,10 sec rest circuits.

Totally agree!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    FYI if you want a decent 35 to 45 minute indoor HIIT routine, I put one here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/795306-my-35-minute-hiit-training-hell-routine