Question for the ladies - seriously guys you don't want to k

Options
So my question to all the ladies out there is this - has increased exercise and better eating had an effect of your hormones? I just got over TOM and all the issues that go along with it and surprise surprise 12 days later I start again. Could this be a result of increased exercise - has this happened to anyone else? I mean how is a woman supposed to lose weight when I have to deal with this issue twice in the same month! I know my hormones are probably still a little out of whack - I had a baby last april and just stopped breastfeeding in February, but come on - surely I would have been a little more regulated by now!

Anyone else have this issue or am I the only one who is blessed with this gift (high sarcasm intended!):grumble:

Replies

• Helly86
    Helly86 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    soz to b dumb but whats TOM?

xxx
  • bbblue92
    bbblue92 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Time of month . . . period . . . mother nature's little gift to us women . . .:wink:
  • SammyLynn010
    SammyLynn010 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Your body is going through alot of changes from coming off breastfeeding... I am guessing that is where most of your issues are coming from. Was it just as heavy as normal? I know that sounds weird, but I am about to be an OB nurse, so it's really not weird for me. haha
  • majikmeg
    majikmeg Posts: 9
    Options
    TOM= Time of The Month
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    TOM = time of month...

I Havn't long started this MFP so I'm not sure, although I have read a thread about this over the past few days, so I wouldn't worry! =) x
  • Fawkes
    Fawkes Posts: 50
    Options
    I was wondering what TOM was too lol, I call it AF and so do other women on TTC/pregnancy boards I'm on :D

If you just stopped breastfeeding in Feb, I would chalk it up to that and not necessarily the exercising. I would think that exercising would help regulate your hormones not throw them out of wack.

I had a baby in January 2010 (I can't breastfeed :() but mine got on track pretty quickly.
  • becky123456
    becky123456 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    No, I haven't noticed that happenning, although I am 45 and my last baby was born in 1997. Maybe the pregnancy does have something to do with it.. If it keeps up, maybe you need to call your OB/GYN just to ask..

TOM = time of the month, but I like to call it "the curse"..
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Your body is going through alot of changes from coming off breastfeeding... I am guessing that is where most of your issues are coming from. Was it just as heavy as normal? I know that sounds weird, but I am about to be an OB nurse, so it's really not weird for me. haha

Not to gross anyone out, but yeah - just like normal cramps and everything, hoping its shorter this time, but we'll see!
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    My last one was supposed to start last Thursday and didnt start spotting until sunday. It's been just spotting since then...kind of annoying cause it's never normal but it's usually atleast come and gone by now. Several people on herre have told me that happened to them too when they first started dieting and exercising but idk if it's "normal" or what causes it :S
  • Helly86
    Helly86 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i recognise AF more, but what does the actual A and F stand for

Hormones can do weird things to our bodies, us lucky women!

xXx
  • Elokyn
    Options
    i recognise AF more, but what does the actual A and F stand for

Hormones can do weird things to our bodies, us lucky women!

xXx

Aunt Flow
  • SammyLynn010
    SammyLynn010 Posts: 293 Member
    Options

Not to gross anyone out, but yeah - just like normal cramps and everything, hoping its shorter this time, but we'll see!

If you are really worried about it call your doctor... but usually it takes time for your body to cool down after the horomones. Breastfeeding is the best birthcontrol after pregnancy it seems. So, if you are coming off of that...it would make sense that it would take more than 2 months to get back on track. You've thrown it for a loop breastfeeding!

KUDOS for the breastfeeding btw! =D
  • Elokyn
    Options
    I think you're doing great, and it's something I've asked on here as well. You want to know if it's "normal" before you start worrying about it. Keep up the awesome work! :)
  • Jb27
    Jb27 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I had that happen to me for the first few months after i quit breastfeeding all three of my children , i think maybe the first 3 months and after that things went back to normal. It pretty much sucked i feel for you! But i did find that if i stayed active it was a little better .
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I am way past a TOM :happy: but my daughter had the same happen when she weaned her children. I think it is probably just your hormones adjusting. If this keeps happening you might want to see your doctor.:flowerforyou:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I too had this happen after I finished breast feeding, our bodies are slowly going back to the way there were prior to pregnancy and feeding another human being. 9 months plus anywhere between a few months to a few years is a long time for a body to be under stress by having to support another person. Give it time...if it's still happening in a few months then go to you ob/gyn.
  • bsparks81
    bsparks81 Posts: 29
    Options
    I have a friend who is a runner and stopped bfing a while ago and her body recently decided to have her tom every three weeks. She doesn't know if it is because of the running or what but if it gets out of hand then I'm sure she'll go to the dr. Just annoying right now.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    It's taken me two and a half years to get my flo back to normal, and even so, my estrogen levels are elevated but "normal". I didn't BF, so I can imagine what that does. Just be patient.
    FWIW - sounds ridiculous, but I've found that if I lay off exercising 2-3 days leading into my TOM, I don't swell up as bad, nor am I as tired as I usually am.