Couch to 5K????

Options
Has anyone done this challenge? It sounds like a great way to get started. Just looking for some feedback! :smile:

Replies

• kathrynG0705
    kathrynG0705 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    YES!!!! I have two days left (including today) and am completely amazed at what I've accomplished. When I started I could barely run 30 seconds and as of tomorrow I'll be running 30 minutes!!! So a great feeling and I'm so glad I did it.
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I've done it and wasn't a runner before. It's a great program and simple to follow. It starts out deceptively easy but soon gets harder. It's a great introduction to running. I like active.com's program. The interface is simple and they also have a 5k 2 10K for when you finish C25K.
  • tinajean141
    Options
    I'm just about to start week 6 and I find it to be absolutely amazing! You can feel yourself getting stronger with every week and you can push yourself more and more each time you work out. It doesn't even feel as difficult as you progress through the weeks, and you can run faster and longer as you work your way through it.

I went from never having ran in my life at all, besides the occasional sport season here or there, to now running a mile in under 10 minutes and almost ready for my first 5k race in a month! :) I would definitely recommend it.
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    It is amazing! I used to struggle to run more than a minute or two at a time. Now I can run for upwards of 10 minutes straight before I even start struggling! And I'm only on week 5! My advice would be to take it at your own pace. Don't feel pressured to run each "week" in a span of seven days if you don't think you're ready for that. And if you want to re-run a day, go ahead! I'm nervous about Week 5, Day 3 (20 minutes of running straight), so I may re-run the previous day (8 run, 5 walk, 8 run) one or two more times until I'm ready for it!
  • mommybambi
    mommybambi Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is awesome. There is also a group on here for C25K. I started last summer and I'm about to run my 4th 5K this Saturday. I spent the winter trying to increase my speed so I'm anxious to see how I do.
  • Aquabird
    Aquabird Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I did it in the past to prepare for surgery and had great results. I agree that it started out easy, but I did have to repeat a couple of weeks (especially Week 5, although I think that was more psychological that anything else). I actually just started it again last night (as I had to take off of running when I was pregnant). I am super excited to be running again!
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first c25k workout. I decided to do it at the gym because of rain today, and ended up having to use the elliptical for most of it-shin splints suck!!! I finished it, which was mildly amazing to me, but I wonder if I'm just kidding myself that using the elliptical, even at a running stride/pace is not going to make me into the runner I hope to be some day. But it is better than just doing the "c" part of c25k!

Good luck to you OP!
  • Wrenbot87
    Wrenbot87 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm starting this on April 1st! I have signed up for a Color Run for my birthday in June! It's a bucket list item of mine to run a 5k! Feel free to add me! I've never been a runner, and I'm still a bigger gal, but I know I can do it!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    It's a grea way to get started. The first mile nearly killed me, but I'm signed up to do my third 10k this summer, and I am shooting for a half marathon later this year. Definitely worth doing.
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    There is an April C 25K group of you'd like to join.

I am on week 3 and plan to run my first 5K this year.

Best wishes.
  • taylorckt1
    taylorckt1 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Just starting and I can already tell th difference...I am preparing for my first 5K in May and am so excited...find the group 5K Summer Challenge here on MFP and join us!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I did it about 3 years ago. When I started I could barely run week 1 day 1. I was hurting!

Now I'm doing 1/2 marathon this year.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I am using active.com Couch to 5K program and am on Week 4. Before this I could hardly run 30 seconds. This week I'm doing intervals of 3 minutes and 5 minutes of running and I feel fantastic. It is a challenge but its worth it.
  • Lauramh31
    Lauramh31 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm doing something similar but it is from Runners World. It has you run/walk 4 days a week instead of 3 and keeps you moving for 30 minutes at a time rather than 20 or so that the C25K does. I just did day one yesterday (run 1, walk 2, 10 times) and it was great. I chose my program over the C25K becuase I thought it would be easier/better to build my cardiovascular strength and endurance by doing 4 days/wk at 30 min rather than 3 days/wk at 20min, plus then it's like having built in that extra repeat day that one of the posters mentioned. Two other differences are that my program finishes in 8 weeks rather than 9 and you keep having walking breaks right up until you run 30 min - granted its only a 1 minue walk break, but it helps me mentally to know I have a 1 minute break. (for me, even when I'm strong enough it becomes a mental game of thinking I can't run anymore). For example, it is mentally easier for me to run for 20 minutes by doing: run 10, walk 1, run 10 than it is to run 20 straight, even though it's nearly the same bc 1 minute is almost nothing.

In case anyone is interested, here is the link: http://www.runnersworld.com/beginners/8-week-beginners-program?page=single
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Yes its a great program! Just make sure you are wearing proper shoes and start at Week 1, Day 1- dont try to jump ahead just because you already do other exercise
  • mdobies78
    mdobies78 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did it last year along with my sister and a girlfriend. I was 33 and never ran a day in my life and at the completion of the program I was able to run a 5k. It was a great accomplishment and I feel like the program is a great way for a non runner to become a runner with the gradual pace. I used the free app on my IPhone!
  • VeeBethTris
    VeeBethTris Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I started the Active.com C25K on New Years, ran in my first 5k 3/9/13, did a 34:50, not speedy but I ran the entire thing, and I am 50. I think I will get faster as time goes on and just started the C10K. I absolutely never thought of myself as a runner. I was doing a Y Tri indoor challenge at my YMCA over the weekend, and one of trainers came over to ask me how long I'd been running. I told her and she was shocked. Said I had a great gait, light on my feet, and looked like I'd been running for years. I will rather run longer and safer, then faster, and risk injuries *For me being older LOL* this isn't for anyone just me.

Good luck. You will love it!
  • BeckyJo19
    BeckyJo19 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on Day 2 Week 4...it's great! I was never a runner before and this program is the best way to get started.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I did it last year and my wife is doing it now. We both ran a Color Me Rad (well, she kinda walked some of it) last Saturday. Its an awesome program and I highly recommend it. Last night I ran 4 miles non-stop and loved it.

I also strongly recommend:

*Read up on Chi Running
    *Minimalist running shoes
    *Find a running store in your area and get a gait analysis done.

Also, there is a great support forum at http://reddit.com/r/c25k
  • lisa799
    lisa799 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've done it a few times. I'm currently in week 7 - it's a great way to get moving and to train yourself to run longer times & distances. I really like the set schedule and having the accountability to do it each week. Good luck!