Which macronutrients do you pay most attention to?

Options
Yesterday I found myself scouring through my diary trying to see where I can improve my iron intake which I fall short daily. I have previously done the same thing with potassium. Because of my goal of lowering my high blood pressure I pay as much attention to sodium as I do to overall calories. It is the one thing I look at the label of everything I purchase for. What are you paying attention to? And specifically set for diet for?

Replies

• Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Carbs - to make sure I eat as few of them as possible. I am T2 diabetic.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I found myself scouring through my diary trying to see where I can improve my iron intake which I fall short daily. I have previously done the same thing with potassium. Because of my goal of lowering my high blood pressure I pay as much attention to sodium as I do to overall calories. It is the one thing I look at the label of everything I purchase for. What are you paying attention to? And specifically set for diet for?

I pay close attention to:

Calories
    Protein
    Fat
    Carbohydrate
    Fiber

And the above list is "somewhat" in order of importance for me.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    alcohol
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Calories and protein
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    Protein. As long as I am in my calorie goal don't worry about the other ones at all.
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    Calories and protein

:flowerforyou:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Macros:

Fats and protein

Micros:

Iron because I am prone to being anemic. Paying attention to this one keeps me off a prescription med that makes me feel sick.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I try to solely go by calorie content but I try to have a good balance, which I do. I come in pretty damn close to hitting my percentages at the end of the week.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Protein and to a lesser extent fat
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Macros:

All three...Carbs/Protein/Fat...I try to maintain a 40/30/30 ratio respectively. I've found this ratio to have a very positive impact on my blood work, as well as my energy levels and the way I just feel day to day. It is also a good ratio for my particular fitness goals.

Micros:

Sodium primarily...due to being hypertensive. I also try to keep my saturated fats at or below the recommended...especially saturated animal fats. I have successfully lowered my LDL cholesterol in doing so.
  • Tenzuya
    Tenzuya Posts: 64
    Options
    Calorie's come first of course, but too much sodium is bad for you, it will make you retain water, if your retaining water then chances are your not losing weight, also getting your daily dietary fibre is really important.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I look at sodium (I also have high bp so I want to keep sodium down from causing spikes).
    Calcium since I have a dairy allergy so I get it from other sources.
    Fiber, I get plenty since I'm vegetarian so I do watch it to make sure I don't eat too much (trust me you can eat too much! I will leave it at that).

Those are pretty much it. I don't pay attention to sugars because I eat fruit as snacks and I think it's bull to cut down on fruit because it's healthy. I also don't drink sugary drinks often. I don't pay attention to carbs because I work better on a high carb diet but my carbs are from good sources like fruit/veg and whole grains. I don't look much at protein, I just am mindful that I have some protein at each meal.
  • Jenny775
    Jenny775 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to Calories, Carbs, Protein, Fat, Fiber & Sodium
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Calories, Protein, Carbs, Fat, Sugar, Sodium
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Calories
    Protein
    Fat
    Sat fat
    Fibre
    Potassium
    Sodium

Had high BP and high cholesterol.
    I wish the diary had one more field as one of those doesn't fit...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Not sure the topic line has a typo, but iron and potassium are micro (not macro) nutrients. I pay most attention to calcium for micronutrients and protein for macronutrients.

Though since I added whey powder to help with my protein, I now worry about getting too much calcium, where I used to worry about too little. :ohwell:
  • ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've been watching iron, protein, and fiber lately because I apparently don't get enough of each of these.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I always hit my minimum fats without trying. I try to hit my minimum protein. I let carbs fall where they will. I look at my micro-nutrients every couple of weeks or so, but i don't fret too much because a lot of food in the database is entered without the micro-nutrient info,
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Protein is my priority, but I have to watch carbs because I'm insulin resistant.