Eating too little net calories!

Options
I've just discovered i've been eating way too little net calories because I had my goal set to 1200 and I wasn't eating back exercise calories. I only changed my goal to 1200 last week, before it was 1490 but I was eating around the same net calories, maybe a bit more..

I've been hovering around 900-1000 net calories.

The thing is, i'm not hungry.. I just have 3 main meals a day and I add accurately. Because of classes, I don't snack at all, i have breakfast at 8 am, Lunch at 1pm then I get home and do Insanity and have dinner around 5 - 6pm. I don't eat in the evenings and I have good meals I think, except my breakfasts are small.

I live a "Sedentary" lifestyle as i'm a student in University so i'm mainly sitting apart from walking between classes and normal activity. I do Insanity, i'm on the 3rd week,.

What should I do? I don't know whether to change it up and eat more or just continue or what?

I'm currently 174.6 lbs, female at 5"6

In Inches:
Waist 32.0
Waist belowBelly button 38.7
Bum 43.6
Bust 42.0

My goal is: 145 pounds

And i'm currently set to 1 pound and a half to loose/week

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Insanity is not sedentary. :smile: I think too many people think they are sedentary when they are not. Sedentary is moving from the bed to the sofa and watching tv all day long. Food is fuel - eat too little and push your body too hard and you're giving it a reason to store fat rather than burn it.

To get more calories in without having to eat a lot more food, add more calorie dense foods to your day - nuts and nut butters, avocados, full fat dairy, olive and coconut oils in dressings and for cooking - small amounts pack a good caloric punch and get you fueled without stuffing your face. :smile:
  • JGainingHealth
    JGainingHealth Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Eat more than just fruit for breakfast... add it to some yogurt or eat a handful of nuts with it. Or both. :)
  • kellyw036
    kellyw036 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Insanity is not sedentary. :smile: I think too many people think they are sedentary when they are not. Sedentary is moving from the bed to the sofa and watching tv all day long. Food is fuel - eat too little and push your body too hard and you're giving it a reason to store fat rather than burn it.

To get more calories in without having to eat a lot more food, add more calorie dense foods to your day - nuts and nut butters, avocados, full fat dairy, olive and coconut oils in dressings and for cooking - small amounts pack a good caloric punch and get you fueled without stuffing your face. :smile:

This :) Always full of good info!
  • justlittlem
    Options

I thought it was sedentary because I just added the amount of time I workout a week and that looked more like what you actually do during the day :S.

Thank you for all the food tips, i'm never really sure what to eat. Should I eat even if i'm not hungry but I need more calories?
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'd be starving on that amount of calories. I think you should do the TDEE calculator and up your calories. It will be harder to maintain you weight loss if you slow your metabolism by eating such a low amount to lose. You might see a slight gain at first, but you will lose.

Also, I wouldn't count you as sedentary. Working out 6 days per week and walking to class is active. I remember walking to class in college - 10-15 minute walks to/from class. It adds up! I miss having those walks in my day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    using the sedentary setting is fine, as long as the OP eats back all her exercise calories.
  • justlittlem
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the advice so far. It's really helped me

So should I eat back calories even if i'm not hungry?
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    More protein - less carbs may give you more energy. Also, in order to increase calories, you don't necesarily have to eat more - just eat more calorie dense foods. Instead of fruit only in the morning, have a hard boiled egg or cheese. Use salad dressing with olive oil. Also, I'd cut out the sweets in favor or more nourishing food.

If I were eating what you eat, I'd be starving to death!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The base level caloric needs for insanity is 1800. I have see so many people fail because they don't follow their nutritional guidelines. I would highly recommend you use the below link and do a custom set up on MFP. If you want the success of the program, you need to follow their calorie goals too. Also, adjust your macro's to 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats. That is th BB default.

http://www.teambeachbody.com/eat-smart/nutrition-tools/caloric-needs