Eating disorders and losing weight?

Options
I suffered from an eating disorder back when I was 14. I find myself as I'm losing weight this time eating less and less and being glad that I'm doing so. I don't want to fall back into that pattern. I was wondering if there are any other people who have suffered from eating disorders here that are losing weight safely without falling into old habits? I am looking for any tips and tricks to get my mind going in the right direction and not the wrong one.

Replies

• 1995melissa
    Options
    I suffered from ED at about that age too, I'm really trying to get in the right track for losing weight now like you :) I would say that my best tip is just telling yourself that you can't lose weight and keep it off for a long period if you do it the wrong way... And also, that doing it the healthy way is gonna make you stronger both mentally and physically. It's not always easy, at least for me, but doing it healthy is a lifestyle, we just have to get slowly used to it I guess.
  • kk1084
    kk1084 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I struggled with eating issues since the age of 12, however I didn't really develop what could be considered disordered eating patterns until I was around 20. I then dropped 30+ pounds from my average-size frame and while I have gained back half of the weight and am currently at an acceptable (though still on the thin side) weight, the struggles are still there. I fight the voice daily and it is sometimes a struggle to eat "normally" and not restrict when I feel like I've had a binge-night or something. I am also struggling a lot with overexercising right now. When I feel that I've eaten too much, I hit the gym and work out, sometimes for multiple hours, and then I do more at home. I'm trying very hard to ignore "the demons" in my head that tell me I'm fat, worthless, that I don't "deserve" to eat, and so on and it is HARD. I'm in a better place than I was 6 months ago, but it's still an uphill climb for me... I think it will be, for a while. I'm currently trying to lose a little weight the healthy way also. I'm down almost ten pounds from when I started here and I'm trying to work off that last 4-5. I'd like to say I'm SURE I will stop then, but I'm scared that I will want more.. and more and more... and more. No one said it would be easy, right? We just have to keep fighting <3 You can do this the healthy way!
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I guess I will just have to start telling myself it is okay to eat my calorie goal. I cannot afford to get back into that lifestyle! I have too many things to take care of now. Good luck to both of you on your journey and let's all try to stay as healthy as possible!
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I was severely anorexic when I was about 13. I'm 22 now and see food differently. I eat around 2000 calories a day on average and for me I want to eat every single number of my allowed calories. I see food as fuel now and not as the enemy. Try to view food as something that will make your body stronger.

(edited because apparently I cannot type -_-)