Migraine Sufferers (this certainly isn't fun and games)

Options
VictorianJade
VictorianJade Posts: 705 Member
Hey folks,

I'm a chronic Migrainier (yes, there's actually a term for it). I have migraines probably 2/3 of the time lately. My first one was 10 years ago, and lasted 13 days. Recently I have migraines that can last a month at a time, with only a few days respite in between. I'm aware that this is hormonal, as I have the most manic TOM ever... sometimes I go five days between TOMs, sometimes 8 weeks, and anything in between. My body doesn't have a chance to ovulate. I feel almost premenopausal, and I'm 28 years old. My family has a history of hormone imbalances in the women, and I have one, diagnosed. Estrogen Dominance. Anyway, I've missed like, 10 days of work this month, and this is becoming debilitating.

My question for all of you is, for those who suffer migraines, what HELPS you? What helps to get rid of the pain?

I'm currently on amitryptaline as a daily medication, for migraine prevention... sometimes I feel like it's working, sometimes I feel like it isn't. But it's only been just under 2 weeks, and the doc at the clinic advised me to give it a month for my body to get used to it. I have an appointment with my GP for next week.

I've tried nerve blockers, migraine meds, etc, and most of them have zero effectiveness. One works, but not every time. Tylenol 3 seems to be the most consistent pain reliever for my head, or mixing ibuprofens with acetaminophin (sp?) type drugs, but I know that my liver must hate me by now. Caffeine works sometimes, so I sometimes slam down a Monster drink or a pot of coffee, but the calories in Monster are astronomical.

Please. Anything that works. Eastern medicine, prescriptions, over the counters, herbal treatment, ANYTHING. I'm begging.

Please.

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    So sorry you are experiencing this. Unfortunately there are no real cures that I have found. I got my first one at 14 and was sent to walk home from school because they thought I was hallucinating on drugs when I said I was seeing flashing lights and colors.:angry:

Thank God I have an understanding boss because I will be fine one minute and the next down for the count.

Mine got better when i went thru early menepause at 40 yrs old, but I still get them 1-2x month.

I take a cocktail of script meds. all lower dose when I see the lights a flashin'
    xanax, percocet and excedrin. Of course I am down for a different kind of count when the headache is relieved.

I did find some triggers, and avoiding them helped a lot.

For me: perfume, chemical sprays,crab meat,chocolate

I used MFP to see what my food was like in the 24 hrs before the headaches come on

:heart: Jeannie
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you are going through such a terrible thing.

I have migraine but nothing nearly as bad as what you are going through.

Excedrin Migraine works for me and I have to sleep after I take it, or it will never go away

Did the doctor say if the migraine has anything to do with your weight...that possible if you loose the weight, it will help

Because that would be soemthing awesome to look forward to

I wish you all the best

Goodluck
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I had different brain scans done and tests done. Nothing was found for my migraines. They put me on so many different drugs. The only thing that works well and fast for me is Advil Migraine liquid gels. On the start of a migraine I take 2 with a big glass of water. Sometimes I need to lie down in a dark room until it fades away.
  • kajaknowers
    kajaknowers Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I get migraine maybe once a fortnight but I would hate to feel how you are when you get them fo such long periods of time....I personally find that if I feel the pain in my head I take 2 -3 strong ibuprofen-esque tablets drink a glass of water and lie down immediately for 30 to 60 minutes and that helps but only if I feel the pain coming straight away otherwise I am practically de-habilitated for the rest of the day x
  • AndreeT
    AndreeT Posts: 191
    Options
    I had this problem up until 1 1/2 years ago....I had the biggest migraine I had ever had and lost vision. I was so scared! About a month later I got a physical and I asked the doctor about it. She asked what meds I was on....in the list of meds were birth control. She immediately took me off of birth control and told me never to take them again cause the loss of vision was either a pre-stroke or a minor stroke!!! I have been off of birth control now for 1 1/2 years and I have been migraine free!!!

Are you on any type of birth control? Anything with estrogen?

Might be worth looking into....Good Luck!

Feel better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I have a minimum of 4 migraine a month. First day of my cycle, then three days later. Two weeks later, then three days after that. So when I ovulate, and menstrate. I also get them in addition to the 4 times, from any chemical smell, perfume, cologne, smoke, etc... Bright lights like camera flashes, fluorescent lights, bright sunlight. I tried Imitrix in my 20s until it required too much for each headache. I have taken 800 ml. ibuprofen every 4 - 6 hours for years. I now have Maxalt for really bad ones, but try not to take it since a possible side effect is death. I have never been a coffee drinker, and only drink water for the most part. I stopped drinking alchohol five years ago. Anyway, I have noticed recently that if I just drink a coffee, the migraine goes away! If it is REALLY bad and the coffee doesn't take it completely away, I take 400 ibuprofen as well. I am very concerned about taking all of the ibuprofen I have, but can not tolerate being in that much pain that often. I had one neurologist advise me to let a migraine run its course without taking anything, and maybe it would break the cycle. I could NEVER do that. I would rather die. I sincerely hope you find something that works for you. :flowerforyou:
  • VictorianJade
    Options
    I had different brain scans done and tests done. Nothing was found for my migraines. They put me on so many different drugs. The only thing that works well and fast for me is Advil Migraine liquid gels. On the start of a migraine I take 2 with a big glass of water. Sometimes I need to lie down in a dark room until it fades away.

Forgot to mention this-

I have had sensorineural testing, been to a neurologist, and have had an MRI of my brain. All normal.

Migraine meds, and over-the-counters just don't work for me, and I'm allergic to half of them, as well- break out in quarter-sized hives, that hurt to even have clothing over.
  • cmurphy04722
    Options
    I become immune to prescriptions very quickly. Codeine, tramadol, and a lot of pain killers just don't work on me anymore. I still have Imitrex shots for when they're really bad, but even then it's a crap shoot if it'll work or not.

I've had migraines since childhood and I'm 23. I've been doing elimination diets since I was 15 to try and see if anything I'm eating/drinking could be dropped to help the migraines. I have always had daily headaches, I'd say 80% of the time I have a headache but am just sort of numb and don't think about it until someone asks how I'm feeling and I'm like oh, well yeah, my head hurts, but that's usual--so I feel fine.

At my worst, I was having migraines 4-5 times a month, lasting from 12 hours to 7 days. I remember missing more than 50 days of school one year. I get the full deal, the aura, the vomiting, the ocular pain, the restlessness combined with a weak body, the light and sound sensitivity, the rage you have deep inside for not being able to control the pain, and yes, would up in the emergency room on a number of occasions after the pain put me into shock. Even with an IV in my arm and a doctor by my side, sometimes the migraine wouldn't leave me for a few more days.

I have never had success with a migraine preventative and I'll just put that out there. But I've had mad success with the daily headache problem. And this has cut down on the frequency of the migraines I think, but not the severity.

But here is what has helped for me in terms of daily migraines and cutting down on the frequency of migraines. We are all different, but I recommend doing elimination diets where you cut out one thing at a time for 3-6 months and if it helps, don't eat it ever again. Otherwise, bring it back to your diet and try something else.

I went vegan about 4 years ago and felt absolutely amazing. I did it for 3 months and then started college and brought dairy and eggs back into my diet. I stayed vegetarian all this time because the stomach pains of the migraines were not nearly as bad. And it seemed like the daily headaches weren't as intense. Pretty awesome. And then about 2 weeks ago, I was thinking about how great I felt all over when I wasn't eating dairy...so I gave up cheese and eggs. And I haven't had a headache at all for the last week, save for one that was induced after eating kettle corn that was made with sucralose....damn Splenda. So for me, casein (the protein in dairy) was definitely giving me headaches. I haven't had a migraine yet, but that's normal...I get them about 1-3 times a month now and only for maybe 2 days or so. In a few weeks, I am going to bring back eggs into my diet to see if the headaches get worse or if it was just the cheese. I'm sort of guessing that animal products in general are not well received by my body....my stomach has been feeling SO much better-and no daily headache, can you believe it???

Also, red dyes. I don't eat anything dyed red, like candies or drinks. And when I did eat cheese, the aged ones were definite migraine triggers---gorgonzola in particular was an instant migraine for me. Also red wine, which is common for migraineurs. I obviously avoid nail salons and such where the fumes kill me, and try to avoid using A/C in the summer since sudden temperature changes are terrible for me.

So this was just a rant, but I hope that you get something out of this :-)
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're suffering through this :( I only get them about twice a month and they usually only last a day. My Dr. gave me imitrex and it works great, but that probably doesnt work for you :( I hope you can find comfort!!! Just drink lots and lots of water with all those meds and caffeine going through you! You wanna keep your liver and kidneys happy!! ~hugz~
  • VictorianJade
    Options
    I had this problem up until 1 1/2 years ago....I had the biggest migraine I had ever had and lost vision. I was so scared! About a month later I got a physical and I asked the doctor about it. She asked what meds I was on....in the list of meds were birth control. She immediately took me off of birth control and told me never to take them again cause the loss of vision was either a pre-stroke or a minor stroke!!! I have been off of birth control now for 1 1/2 years and I have been migraine free!!!

Are you on any type of birth control? Anything with estrogen?

Might be worth looking into....Good Luck!

Feel better soon! :flowerforyou:

The last birth control I took was Depo-Provera, which landed me in the hospital in 2004, with less than a week to live. My body had gone toxic. I have not been, and CANNOT be on hormones, as I have a diagnosed hormone imbalance - WAYYYYYYY too much estrogen. The women in my mom's side of the family have it.

I've also lost vision, and have had blurry vision for days, because of my migraines. The MRI revealed nothing.
  • panther87
    panther87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I too have suffered from terrilbe headaches.:sad: mine were a sinus/migraine blend. Mine were caused by a whiplash injury. between a chiropractor, Relpax and using a combo of 1000mg of Tylenol along with 800 mg of Advil/motrin i used a heating pad and a large ice bag on my head. I used the heating pad either to the front or the back and the ice on the other side. some times I used ice to the front and heat on the back and some times the other way around. you'll have to experiment for your self. Also i have now been put on Blood Pressure meds and have my blood pressure a lot lower and now only suffer the very rare headache. I suggest trying the ice/heat thing along with your meds and see if that helps. It was a suggestion from a long time Nurse in my local ER.:happy:
  • Valqis
    Valqis Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I can definitely say that I can feel your pain. I have had a migraine EVERY day this year. (yes, you read that right). my best day was yesterday, when I only had one for 20 minutes, but it was my fault, because I was standing in the sun talking to the kids in my youth group and then went straight in to praise and worship where the praise band was a TOUCH too loud. But I would not have traded it for anything.
    I have tried several medicines myself (amitriptyline, indomethacine, topamax, prozac [Topomax and Prozac I am on currently and am hoping will work together to give me the results that I need], butalbital, Excedrin Migraine, Magnesium, Imitrex, Zoloft).
    The one thing that I would suggest is to go get ya a bottle of Magnesium since they are actually inexpensive and are actually a prentative for migraines. I just started taking them again three nights ago along with my Topomax and Prozac cocktail and will keep ya updated if ya want.

Hope ya get relief soon, don't want anyone to be starting month 5 of this crap like it looks like I will be.

D
  • VictorianJade
    Options
    I too have suffered from terrilbe headaches.:sad: mine were a sinus/migraine blend. Mine were caused by a whiplash injury. between a chiropractor, Relpax and using a combo of 1000mg of Tylenol along with 800 mg of Advil/motrin i used a heating pad and a large ice bag on my head. I used the heating pad either to the front or the back and the ice on the other side. some times I used ice to the front and heat on the back and some times the other way around. you'll have to experiment for your self. Also i have now been put on Blood Pressure meds and have my blood pressure a lot lower and now only suffer the very rare headache. I suggest trying the ice/heat thing along with your meds and see if that helps. It was a suggestion from a long time Nurse in my local ER.:happy:

Both ice and heat make my migraines worse. My blood pressure is perfect. I have it checked monthly, and have blood tests for things like diabetes twice a year. My blood is perfect, except for the hormone crap.

I also lactate, though I have low prolactin levels, and am not pregnant, nor have I had a child recently. The lactating started about a year ago. I've been checked for breast cancer, and am clear.
  • VictorianJade
    Options
    I can definitely say that I can feel your pain. I have had a migraine EVERY day this year. (yes, you read that right). my best day was yesterday, when I only had one for 20 minutes, but it was my fault, because I was standing in the sun talking to the kids in my youth group and then went straight in to praise and worship where the praise band was a TOUCH too loud. But I would not have traded it for anything.
    I have tried several medicines myself (amitriptyline, indomethacine, topamax, prozac [Topomax and Prozac I am on currently and am hoping will work together to give me the results that I need], butalbital, Excedrin Migraine, Magnesium, Imitrex, Zoloft).
    The one thing that I would suggest is to go get ya a bottle of Magnesium since they are actually inexpensive and are actually a prentative for migraines. I just started taking them again three nights ago along with my Topomax and Prozac cocktail and will keep ya updated if ya want.

Hope ya get relief soon, don't want anyone to be starting month 5 of this crap like it looks like I will be.

D

I'll ask the doc about magnesium.

*hugs*
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Can't help w/ medicine info. My migraines are pretty tame compared to that. usually triggered by my sinus'. I take a load of nasal decongestant and a bunch of advil and slam some caffeine. Bad ones require my imitrex and a nap. I have found the OTC "head on" stick to help. It is just like a stick of menthol so it makes your head get cold. I got a migraine at work the other day and smeared some Ben Gay on my forhead. Like a mini ice pack, it helped. All I can say is keep calm and try not to think to hard about it cuz stress itself will make it worse. Hope you feel better soon.

-Mel
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

Forgot to mention this-

I have had sensorineural testing, been to a neurologist, and have had an MRI of my brain. All normal.

Migraine meds, and over-the-counters just don't work for me, and I'm allergic to half of them, as well- break out in quarter-sized hives, that hurt to even have clothing over.

I have a friend who takes Feverfew every day to lessen the migraines. It is a herbal remedy. It does not stop them or help when they come on but it does lessen the amount you get if taken every day. You can talk to someone at the health food store about this too.
  • jewelinvic
    jewelinvic Posts: 332
    Options

Forgot to mention this-

You haven't spoken to your doctor about the Botox yet, have you? I've been seeing it advertised at different clinics for treatment.
  • VictorianJade
    Options

Forgot to mention this-

You haven't spoken to your doctor about the Botox yet, have you? I've been seeing it advertised at different clinics for treatment.

No, keep forgetting., Remind me next wednesday!

EDIT: I'm putting that in my iTouch right now.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    My migraines seem to be brought on by two things 1) Stress 2) Allergies

A few years ago I found out that I am very allergic to cow's milk. That was a big surprise for me. I had never put it together before on my own. By cuttting back on the milk I have drastically reduced my migraines.

Have you been tested for allergies?
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    I have suffered from these horrid migraines since I can remember. Have tried EVERYTHING! The only pill that works for me is maxalt, and for me it is my miracle drug, but so expensive that I have to ration..... Other than that, I had some of the same suggestions as others. Botox was my first, I have heard many good things on this, so who knows, could be the answer for all of us!
    Also, feverfew, but what sucks about this is the best way for feverfew to work is to hold and slowly chew a piece of the leaf in your mouth. It is the most bitter tasting thing I have ever tasted! Cannot keep it in my mouth for more than a few seconds, so have no clue if that works. You can also steep the leaves and flowers to make a tea, so adding sugar takes some of the bitterness out.
    I take magnesium every day, started it about 2 months ago, and now I really think the severity of my migraines have lessened a little....
    I have also heard of acupuncture, Have you ever tried that?