Best workout dvd's for extremely overweight.....suggestions?

Options
Any suggestions on good workout dvd's for me? I am more than 100 lb overweight and most of my exercise comes from brisk walking, step aerobics, and leslie sansone dvd's. I feel like I am getting stronger as I am exercising more and feel like I am capable of doing something a little more strenuous, any recommendations?

Replies

• Laura42012
    Laura42012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels Body Revolution. She starts you off slow and easy in the first phase. I'd say phase 2, depends on your fitness level, you can always re-do phase one, if you need to.

Good luck :)

Just take it one day at a time, honestly. You'll see quick progress if you stick with it. I did!
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Any of the Biggest Loser Dvd's should work well as show people of all fitness levels doing them and were intended to help those with bigger amounts of weight to lose! You are doing such a fantastic job!
  • malou1985
    malou1985 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I was getting ready to post a similar topic right before i seen ur post. so far i've noticed a lot of mfp users favoring the p90x, and the jillian michaels dvd's. i've been trying to research them to see which is the best to invest in. i'm leaning towards jillian michaels because she has multiple phases, but i'd like users in put as well.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    P90X
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels workouts or Biggest Loser workouts. 9 times out of 10 they have beginner modifications so you don't over do it.
  • tmuellenberg
    tmuellenberg Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I don't think P90X would be a great option if you have over 100 lbs to lose. If you want to eventually do that I would start with Power 90 as it's a less intense version of P90X and will help you get going.
  • redhatorade
    redhatorade Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    As someone who is also 100+ lbs overweight I can tell you that many of the videos people recommend are really hard for people that are as overweight as we are. I tried the Chalean Extreme and one of the Jillian Michaels ones and they were just too hard for me at this level of obesity. I am the type of person that needs to work my way up to that, because my weight restricts me from certain movements. I am not afraid to work hard, but I do think that many of these videos are a bit much for those of us who are extremely overweight.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Swimming. No joint issues.
  • succubaeangel
    Options
    P90 and P90 Masters Series, Kickboxing for dummies, Biggest Loser's dvds are all begginer/intermediate. I've personally done all of those and imo, the Biggest Loser's were the best for fast weight loss. :)

edit: I've done both P90X and Body Revolution. I wouldn't reccomend either to someone who has 100lbs to lose.
  • weightliftingchick
    Options
    I was 230 and started with Jillian Micheals 30 Day Shred and did the majority of her other DVD's after that.
  • mssierra2u
    mssierra2u Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I know this may seem a little retro, but Leslie Sansone has walking videos that are varied. When I was just starting out, I found these to be helpful. If you go to collage video, you get to sample short clips of most of the workouts, before you buy anything. You can start whereever you are and go from there. I agree with the comment about some workouts being extremely difficult to do for some body types. Frankly, it's hard to do a crunch when I'm an apple and there is "stuff" occupying the crunch area. :smile:

I hope this helps.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    If you can get them over there, Rosemary Conley DVDs give you an "easy" option (just walking it, no arms) which you can slowly increase (to a bit of lift and arms), right to full jacks - a place I will never go :wink:

If you get the 7-day slim down one, it is 7 short (20 mins or so) workouts including two with toning and one sitting on a chair. You don't need lots of space or fancy equipment, and she always has a bit where she says "if you're getting tired, just march it out for a bit" so you don't feel you're failing! The first one on this DVD even has a bit to "fast forward if you're very overweight or unfit".
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone DVDs and the original Power 90 are about the only things I can think of that are suitable for people who have that much to lose. Anything more intense and you risk knee injury. That being said, weight training or bodyweight training doing exercises modified to your fitness level combined with light intensity walks for cardio will do you even better.
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I know this may seem a little retro, but Leslie Sansone has walking videos that are varied. When I was just starting out, I found these to be helpful. If you go to collage video, you get to sample short clips of most of the workouts, before you buy anything. You can start whereever you are and go from there. I agree with the comment about some workouts being extremely difficult to do for some body types. Frankly, it's hard to do a crunch when I'm an apple and there is "stuff" occupying the crunch area. :smile:

I hope this helps.

I was going to suggest these too! You can find her walking videos on Youtube as well!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Retro, but Richard Simmons has lots of options even for folks with a lot to lose.
  • tmr57
    tmr57 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love Ellen Barrett. I would check out the reviews on Amazon and Collage Video and see which might appeal to you.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    You're already doing Leslie Sansone, or I'd recommend those to start with!

At the moment, I like the New York City Ballet workout 2 (I think 2 is easier to follow than 1). You can try it out on youtube.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I was able to do "Turbo Jam" between 300 - 350 pounds. Two members of the group behind Chalene do low-impact modifications you can follow, and the camera devotes a lot of time to them. The "Cardio Party" workouts are a lot of fun. Once you get stronger and feel more confident about not wrecking your joints, you can start following Chalene and all the others.
  • pcon1212
    pcon1212 Posts: 22
    Options
    I like the Ellen Barrett DVDs and the Jazzercise DVDs. I get them from collagevideo.com
  • talithacumi1
    talithacumi1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is also retro, but I started working out by video to GILAD videos when I was supporting a friend who needed to lose a couple hundred pounds--Gilad even has a beginner's workout video. Easy to follow, not too strenuous, and whenever he does high impact, he shows how to modify--even crunches! I lost 30 pounds the first time I did Gilad videos. And they are set in Hawaii with the lovely music and sunset in the background, so you can "travel" to another place while you work out.