Struggling with PCOS

Options
2»

Replies

• jessicae1aine
    Options
    Feel free to add me, as well.

After taking forever to get a doctor to take me seriously (and having one gyn tell me that one period a year was plenty!), I've finally been on Metformin for about 6 weeks. I'm frustrated, and just... yup.
  • emmalilypad
    emmalilypad Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed 2 weeks ago and I'm not sure what to make of it all! Anyone can feel free to add me, I'll give and take all the support I can get!
  • sheszamazing
    Options
    dont worry my little pcos warriors <3 i added everyone and we will start the process to beat this monster inside of us together
  • alglenn2013
    alglenn2013 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS in 1998, before the connection between ovarian cysts and insulin resistance was well known.I've been off and on Metformin for about 10 years. Originally, it helped a ton. I lost about 25 lbs and kept it off for about 3 years. Then the unthinkable happened. I got pregnant! Lol, talk about a surprise! Hubby and I had planned to NOT have kids, but I guess fate had other plans.Our son is now 5 and I have gained my 25 lbs back, plus an additional 15. Last year I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, ugh! Exercise alone isn't cutting it, so I came to MFP for the guidance I need to control my calories and support I need to stay focused.
  • nomorebamboozles
    nomorebamboozles Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,

I would like to invite any of you who are looking for new friends to also add me. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 15 (20 now) and Metformin luckily worked for me to bring back my periods. I've been off Metformin for years now and am unaware of my current blood and testosterone levels. (Yes, that is a little scary but I'm feeling great.) Nonetheless I'm doing the best to get healthy now while I am young and have more free time. I love to read others' stories with this disease and encourage all of you to fight for the best health you can achieve :) MFP is a great tool for just that - but I also encourage those with insulin resistance to also be checking the glycemic index of the foods they're eating for a more comprehensive look at how the food affects the blood sugar. It can be more helpful than just looking at the sugar content here on MFP.
  • nomorebamboozles
    Options
    Feel free to add me, as well.

After taking forever to get a doctor to take me seriously (and having one gyn tell me that one period a year was plenty!), I've finally been on Metformin for about 6 weeks. I'm frustrated, and just... yup.

I never understand why some people think it's okay to have infrequent periods. It is quite common in certain parts of the world but those parts are disease ridden and often the women are malnourished. I think menstruation is natural and skipping once or twice a year isn't a big deal but when you KNOW something is wrong it's best to go with your gut like it sounds like you did. Glad you finally got taken seriously, though. It's not THAT uncommon and more doctors should be aware and looking out for the disease (1/10 women... come on. That's a lot of women!)
  • nyscha
    nyscha Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello all,
    I was diagnosed with PCOS at 17 or 18. Was on medication for a couple of years and then for a while it seemed like things had evened out. I was 48kg when I got married (small frame) and within 3 years I've ballooned to 60kg and all of the PCOS symptoms are back. So I'm back on medication. Also been told by the doctor to lose weight before starting a family (which I'd like to do real soon).
    I joined a gym last year but quickly discontinued because I felt extremely judged by trainers who thought I was shamming when I nearly passed out with dehydration on the first day (which I probably shouldn't have bothered with in hindsight).

Anyway I'm sick of being called fat, unhappy with the side effects of the weight gain (back ache) and eager to have kids. So I've decided to start with small changes:
    a) minimize sugar intake to 1 spoon a day (previously was about 5-6)
    b) throw out processed food and restock kitchen with whole grains. We've had success with this in the past month
    c) incorporate some form of exercise for 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week. This is where I'm really struggling.

I'm hoping to find some motivation here and look forward to camaraderie during the weight loss efforts. Best of luck to all of you!
  • nomorebamboozles
    Options
    Hello all,
    I was diagnosed with PCOS at 17 or 18. Was on medication for a couple of years and then for a while it seemed like things had evened out. I was 48kg when I got married (small frame) and within 3 years I've ballooned to 60kg and all of the PCOS symptoms are back. So I'm back on medication. Also been told by the doctor to lose weight before starting a family (which I'd like to do real soon).
    I joined a gym last year but quickly discontinued because I felt extremely judged by trainers who thought I was shamming when I nearly passed out with dehydration on the first day (which I probably shouldn't have bothered with in hindsight).

Anyway I'm sick of being called fat, unhappy with the side effects of the weight gain (back ache) and eager to have kids. So I've decided to start with small changes:
    a) minimize sugar intake to 1 spoon a day (previously was about 5-6)
    b) throw out processed food and restock kitchen with whole grains. We've had success with this in the past month
    c) incorporate some form of exercise for 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week. This is where I'm really struggling.

I'm hoping to find some motivation here and look forward to camaraderie during the weight loss efforts. Best of luck to all of you!

I totally know the struggling with exercise part. What I've found helps me, and hopefully you, is to not put so much pressure on yourself to do 30 minutes in the beginning. In the beginning it's always really difficult and that's when you really feel like you're dying and want to stop and not continue in the future. Simply putting on your gym clothes in the morning (or whenever you work out) is a big step and that's the initial motivation I think you're talking about that's hard to get. If you can do half the time in the first week or two you're going to get into a better habit of working out and it will take the initial "OH GOD not this again!" away from exercise. Yes, it will slow your progress down a little bit, but it's more important to build healthy habits slowly and surely than to force them and hope you can continue with them.

What I'm doing right now is telling myself "okay, just do 15 minutes on the stationary bike today and tomorrow if you feel strong and like it's going good then I'll do 20. If not, I'll just do 15 as best as I can." I do this because I have absolutely no healthy exercise habits or desire to work out and this is way to slowly bring it into my life without my body and mind rejecting them completely... (which has happened on other failed weight loss attempts.)

Really hope this helps someone :)
  • DesireeAshley90
    DesireeAshley90 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss! I've had PCOS since as long as I can remember! Anyone feel free to add me :o)
  • JackiLean
    JackiLean Posts: 62 Member
    Options

I never understand why some people think it's okay to have infrequent periods. It is quite common in certain parts of the world but those parts are disease ridden and often the women are malnourished. I think menstruation is natural and skipping once or twice a year isn't a big deal but when you KNOW something is wrong it's best to go with your gut like it sounds like you did. Glad you finally got taken seriously, though. It's not THAT uncommon and more doctors should be aware and looking out for the disease (1/10 women... come on. That's a lot of women!)

I have had every single one of by Gyny doctors tell me this is ok. I'm actually a firm believer that is actually is medically ok.

I tried Metformin for 3 months and after no results, my doctor promptly took me off of it and put me on an extremely low dose birth control pill. That has regulated me and since I HATE periods, I've been taking three packs, one right after the other without the placebo week. Finally, after 3 months, I take the placebo week and get a small, light period.

And because of this, I feel as regular as I want to be and am losing weight! I also have PCOS but since my fiance and I are far from thinking about having kids, it's really just a weight frustration issue to me now, but I'm sure when it comes time, I'll be glad to have all of you ladies around.

I started at 185 and am down to 175! Just 20 more pounds to go before my goal date of May 25!
  • zeey52
    zeey52 Posts: 5
    Options
    can you advice me on how to loose weight i am 20 n tired of trying :(
  • jenhanke
    jenhanke Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    About a year and a half ago, I had a job close to home and decided to walk there every day. It was only about a 10-12 minute walk each way, 5 days per week. I was SHOCKED when, after doing that for one month, I got my period (it had been 5 months since I had a period)... and even more shocked when I got my period again the next month! Even without changes to my diet (which is now my focus), the walking had such a positive impact on my circulation, hormones, and mood. Before that, I hadn't had a normal cycle in close to 5 years. I wasn't even feeling like a woman anymore.

I would encourage everyone to just try to walk 20 minutes per day... walk it fast, sweat a teeny bit, and watch the changes happen! =)
  • jeannievsmith
    jeannievsmith Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi to all fellow PCOSers, I hope you are all doing well. I am new to this and have only been doing it for maybe a month ( had to figure out how to work the site), but it has become a very useful tool. This is one of the hardest things I have ever had to deal with but I take it all one day at a time. I have diabeties and high blood pressure as well. I have found that a low carb diet helps me out a lot. Exercise is a great way to combat high blood sugar levels and high blood pressure. Please feel free to add me :smile: