Vacation help please

Options
In April I am taking my kids to Florida. Exciting right? but I am really nervous about the whole food/calorie thing. I know some of you are thinking just relax and go have fun. Well here is the thing I have worked way to hard to get where I am to not keep on track. I am worried if I get off track for over a week , I might never come back. Another thing is I am doing a challenge at my gym and we need to keep track of all our calories and what we are eating along with working out. I am not worried about my workouts because the resort we are staying at has a nice gym. We also have our own full size kitchen, which I plan on using a lot but how the heck am I going to keep track of what I am eating when we are out and about. You never know exactly what you are consuming....calories, fat, sodium. Any tips from you fellow disneylanders or vacationers........what did you do?

Replies

• WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I went to Puerto Rico recently for spring break and I wanted to be bikini ready. But what I did was do what I usually do. I'm in cheerleading, so I run, do hop squats, other exercises for abs and arms.

When I got to Puerto Rico, all I cared was having fun and eating great food. Just go have fun! You can get back on track when you get back home lol. Although, you can always cut your portions in half and save the rest for the next day. You'll do a lot of walking on vacation, of course, so that's a good calorie burner. Use the gym! Make your money worth it! :)
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot for work, usually I am away at least five days a month. I travel all over North America, and it can be hard.

My tips:

*order salads with some kind of protein for your meal. Always get the dressing on the side.
    *try to maintain a similar schedule to what you do at home. So if you normally eat breakfast at 8, lunch at noon, and dinner at 6, try to keep that schedule while you are away.
    *find somewhere to buy some healthy snacks and always keep something like an apple and some almonds in your bag.
    *drink water all the live long day. Then if you want to have a fancy drink (either alcoholic or not) with dinner or in the evening you can do that.
    *when going somewhere, ask your concierge how far it is. If it's within a reasonable distance, get directions and walk.
    *as was already mentioned, take advantage of your hotel's fitness facilities.
    *don't deprive yourself too much. You bet I had a cheesesteak when I was in Philly! And I enjoyed every bite. I ate it, I logged it, and I moved on.
  • jessykab74
    jessykab74 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great tips and suggestions, it is helpful.

Thanks Majope, I will. I was hoping there was something like this out there.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! Disney World is crap food heaven. It's a good thing you'll have a fridge to stock up on healthy snacks. Get yourself an insulated bag and put healthy snack in it and try to order good things and use portion control. I went to a Carribean island a couple of weeks ago and tried to eat lots of fish, shrimp and other proteins along with lots of fresh veggies. Of course, I did indulge in some island treats and drinks but no sugary drinks and I swam and hiked a lot. I only ended up gaining 4 pounds and I'm sure 2 of those pounds were duty free Lindt chocolate which I ate on the plane cause I'm scared of flying.
    In any case, I had lost it all within a week. Don't worry-have FUN!
  • theresamay
    theresamay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you're worried about keeping track, why not just log on your phone? We went skiing for a week and also cooked at the condo some, which was great. However, we also ate out a lot. I just did the best I could in ordering somewhat healthy and logging on MFP on my phone. I did go over my calories some but, as you said, I was on vacation. Also, you'll be walking a lot, so you'll be able to give yourself some leeway. I didn't record all of my physical activity.
  • xjckemx
    xjckemx Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! We go away at the end of may with the in laws who are food and drink junkies and we will eat out the whole week!!! I'm haven't worked this hard to lose these few pounds just to put it back on in 1 week!!! It worries me!
  • jessykab74
    Options
    I do log on with my phone now but its the whole idea with what the lady posted before you.......all I ever hear is how unhealthy DW food is. It is all the processed, high sodium crap that you don't know how many calories is in it. But I am going to over estimate everything and not log in the whole idea I will be walking all day, everyday. Everyone gave me a lot of good idea's, I appreciate it and that website is already very helpful. Thanks again, I am already feeling better about this trip

Jessica
  • jessykab74
    Options
    I know how you feel! We go away at the end of may with the in laws who are food and drink junkies and we will eat out the whole week!!! I'm haven't worked this hard to lose these few pounds just to put it back on in 1 week!!! It worries me!

Exactly! Maybe we should both print out pictures of before and after ...when the will power thing isn't working. haha
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    When we were in DW we stayed in a condo with full kitchen...I think we bought a Mickey Mouse ice cream once - just because - and nothing else in the parks...

We each had a small backpack type handbag which had enough space for a lunchbox, snacks and a small icepack...and hubby carried a little bigger backbpack tipe cooler for water and drinks.

We had a proper protein filled breakfast each morning - home made egg mcmuffins or something similar...Went to Walmart and got trail mix (almonds for me) small packets of chips, 100 calorie packs with cookies and other snacks, string cheese deli meat, cheese, buns and fruit...Oh and energade (with and without sugar) and pop (again, diet for the grown-ups)

Took 30 minutes each morning to pack everybody a sandwich, snacks, fruit and drinks..And everyone carried a frozen bottle of water which we refilled at the water fountains during the day...And the best thing was the ice cold watermelon we had on the warmest August day - on bench at universal, while people walking by were asking us where we bought it....Uhm, Walmart, last night!

Had a small BBQ at the condo and did that most nights, or made something quick before going back for the fireworks...And enjoyed the once or twice we ate dinner in restaurants....
    Gained maybe two pounds and lost it again a week after being back at home....And we walked so much that even the everyday beer and wine at night did nothing.....
  • jessykab74
    Options
    So you can bring in food!?! That makes me feel so much better and this is going to be so much easier and cheaper too :). You gave me a lot of great ideas. Thank you for taking the time to write all that stuff down, it was very helpful!!

Jessica
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Yep, you can bring food in...Just no booze and no glass bottles....
    Enjoy! We had loads of fun, ate lots and walked for miles....
    I am jealous! It was definitely a LOT cheaper that eating take outs all day...Can't remember how much we spent on food, but it was a lot less expensive than what we would have spent on buying takeouts all week long...And lots healthier for all...

Not sure how old your kids are - but the individual backpacks worked great - they can eat and snack when they want and where they want, and it really does not have to be big,,,
  • jolene_ca
    jolene_ca Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bring in the food you are comfortable eating. Not sure about D.World but D.Land has fruit for sale at carts here there and everywhere. Most all restaurants have salad available. They've always had low fat Italian dressing available when I've asked and you can customize if you want to knock off the higher calories things. Portions are huge so sharing with someone is easy to do too. I gained 15lbs in 2012 thanks to overeating Disney food. We're annual passholders so we're there a ton. Our trip in February I did really good. I had two splurge meals and that was it. The water weight I gained was gone in 2 days.