Water amounts?

Options
When MFP says I need a minimum of 8 cups of water a day, does that mean literal cups and in 4oz=1cup or 8 glasses as in an average 8oz glass? It's extremely ambiguous and I've done a calculator on another site that told me I needed about 75oz a day. I'm rather befuddled, ha.

Replies

• lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    A cup is 8 fluid ounces... So eight cups is one half gallon. As in I drink 16 cups per day... One gallon of water daily. Anyone is welcome to add me if they would like. Plan on being here for another 50 years keeping myself honest even after I do get down to goal.
  • shelbymkoenig
    shelbymkoenig Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I've never tried dieting or the like before. What weight I've added since high school has been slowly added, but I digress. I just know that proper water intake is vital to maintaining metabolic rates. Thanks!
  • Shance635
    Options
    I had a trainer that told me I should be drinking 1/2 my body weight in oz of water. So at the time I was drinking 100 oz's a day. That was a little over 1 1/2 gallons. I lost weight quick. I also stayed in the bathroom!!!
  • stevenbatl
    stevenbatl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that water can come from food sources as well. Fruits and veggies have tons of water, so they can add towards your water goals. Even drinks that are considered diuretics such as coffee or tea will hydrate you. I know when my body needs water because I feel thirsty/dehydrated. I've consulted doctors about this and they say the same thing, the eight 8oz glasses is a guideline, but doesn't have to be strictly followed due to the consumption of other watery food. Because of that, I don't even use that function of MFP.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You need to drink enough to stay hydrated. If your urine is pale yellow, you're hydrated enough. Drinking excessive amounts of water doesn't equal weight loss.