fitbit yes or no?

Options
I feel like.im posting a lot but...im new and have a lot of questions!
So i really wanna get a fitbit but is it worth it?
Wanna give me some pros and cons?
Anything really would be appreciated.

Replies

• ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I bought one and love it, I bought the Fitbit One. It seems overall to do a good job of tracking, although I am not so sure it gives an accurate read for a high intensity workout. If you don't care to monitor your sleep patterns, go for the Fitbit Zip. I wish I had either just bought that one or waited for the upcoming Fitbit Flex which seems far less intrusive.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I'm totally addicted to mine (Fitbit One). The only time I take it off is to shower, and well, for other activities :D

I got it because I was so confused by all the BMR/TDEE stuff. I have a desk job, but I work out 3 days a week and have a busy home life, so I wasn't sure where I fell in the sedentary/lightly/moderately/crazily active categories. This took all the guesswork out and I'm losing weight, so I am gonna say to get one!
  • alexisschmitt
    Options
    I have the fitbit Ultra (the old model that was replaced by the Fitbit One). I really like it - it's nice to be able to set a firm number goal for something like steps taken, and be able to check on how you're doing as the day progresses. I clip it to my bra; it's very unobtrusive and doesn't irritate my skin or anything.
  • FreeHugs0150
    Options
    I want the sleep tracking, but how does.it work and how can you improve your sleep knowing your pattern?
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Love my fitbit 1, as do all the others who I know who have bought either this or the Zip. It tracks sleep patterns based on how much you move, since it's strapped to your wrist. This is not a substitute for a sleep study, if you have concerns re: Sleep Apnea. As for improving your sleep, I would guess there are as many opinions on this as there are people, so I'd probably talk to my doctor or google a reputable site for ideas............. The one's I"m most familiar with and use are things such as: No TV in the bedroom, no Computer / reading or other stimulating activity prior to bed; Relaxation techniques if you have trouble falling asleep.......
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Love my FitBit, but I would recommend waiting a few weeks for the new one to come out. Mainly because its water resistant so you can wear it in the shower. Its silly, but I feel all the steps I take while showering and getting ready in the morning are wasted....
  • ze_hombre
    Options
    I want the sleep tracking, but how does.it work and how can you improve your sleep knowing your pattern?

It just senses when you aren't moving for a while. It doesn't have anything other than an accelerometer and an altimeter.
  • tyedyechick0930
    tyedyechick0930 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    So, I'm also interested in a Fitbit. This new one coming out, how do you check to see where you are for the day during the day? It doesn't look like you can read a screen like the fitbit one. Any ideas as to how the Flex will work?
  • lgstone
    lgstone Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been using a FitBit for about a year--started in Feb. 2012 with the Ultra, sent it through the wash while I was in Israel and so got the FitBit One when I got home. What I like is that you can set up your vital info on their site, and the calorie calculations, distance, etc. is personalized. You can adjust settings if you need to until it's right. Another thing I like is to have a single, standard measurement for my activity level. I imagine the FB is off by a certain margin, but using it every single day, I still have a very good relative measurement. I also like how it integrates with MFP. I log all my activity on the FB site, and all my food on MFP, and have had no problems with it.

I don't know much about the Zip, but I love the way the FitBit One connects to my iPhone for pretty constant synching.

I rarely use it for sleep tracking, so I can't comment on that.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with my Fitbit One. It was the best money I ever spent!
  • ze_hombre
    Options
    So, I'm also interested in a Fitbit. This new one coming out, how do you check to see where you are for the day during the day? It doesn't look like you can read a screen like the fitbit one. Any ideas as to how the Flex will work?

From the videos I have seen it has LED icons on it that light up as you progress. Sort of like a 10%, 20%, 30%, etc. I think if you want the actual number you either need to use the site or the app on a smart phone.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

From the videos I have seen it has LED icons on it that light up as you progress. Sort of like a 10%, 20%, 30%, etc. I think if you want the actual number you either need to use the site or the app on a smart phone.

Yes. I sync it to the app on my phone throughout the day. If I don't like my numbers I will walk round my building for a few minutes :)
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    big thumbs up. it won't track weight lifting but nothing is perfect. its my constant companion.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my Fitbit!! Things really started to change for me once I got it, figured out my TDEE and started eating 15-20% below it. The Fitbit is one thing I couldn't live without. Totally worth the $100 any day!
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I preordered the one coming out soon. I cant wait.
  • 20ever
    20ever Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I enjoy everything about the FitBit One EXCEPT the design. I lost it for a week, luckily only in my car, due tot he poor holster design. I would wait until the Flex is available May 1st. Amazon is taking pre-orders.

it is a great tool and the information it tracks is amazing and I believe is as accurate as anything out there on the market, however the design is less than desirable.
  • vcfervc
    vcfervc Posts: 28
    Options
    I've had my fitbit one for a little over a month and love it. it definitely motivates me to get moving.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Have one - use it to keep track of activity (steps taken, stairs climbed, distance). It works well for that. If you are looking for calories burned for other exercises - get a HRM - a fitbit is not the tool for that.

As far as the sleep track of the fitbit - I think it's a joke. I wore it for a few nights and it said I got about 2 hours sleep each night. I think that is because when you move it thinks you wake up - and that is soooooo not me!!!!
  • KellyJoMorris
    KellyJoMorris Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my fitbit!! I have had the Ultra model since August 2012. I have CFS and tracking my sleep means I know how much energy I have to use the next day, it helps me stay well. While sleeping, I wear the fitbit in a cloth wrist band on my non dominant arm and it measures large arm movements. It records them as 'awake' but it means that I just turned over! I love the fact that I can wear it all day and eat calories earned accordingly. I use the BMR of my goal weight as a calorie goal because that has a built in deficit and then I eat all exercise calories earned from my fitbit. It syncs really well with MFP and I have had no problems there. My base station has stopped working twice and both times it was replaced free of charge and in only a few days. I was very impressed by the customer service. I have lost 26.6 lbs in 33 weeks and even though that is less than 1 lb a week, it's slow and steady and I am very pleased with how my body is changing. I feel the fitbit is responsible for much of my focus and the success has followed. xx
  • KellyJoMorris
    KellyJoMorris Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Have one - use it to keep track of activity (steps taken, stairs climbed, distance). It works well for that. If you are looking for calories burned for other exercises - get a HRM - a fitbit is not the tool for that.

As far as the sleep track of the fitbit - I think it's a joke. I wore it for a few nights and it said I got about 2 hours sleep each night. I think that is because when you move it thinks you wake up - and that is soooooo not me!!!!

I had this problem too at the beginning!! I fixed it by changing the settings of the sleep tracker from sensitive to normal xx