Should I have one day a weak where I eat whatever I want?

Options
Sometimes I overeat let's say by 1000 calories, but I make sure that I burn an extra 1000 during the week to make up for it. Is it better to just write it off or does burning an additional 1000 calories actually make a difference?

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    If it works do it. But track it anyway just to make sure you don't go way over what you plan on.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Is it easy for you to get back on track the rest of the week? for me, it's not. A free/cheat day tends to turn into a pattern of binge/restrict for me. I do better with tracking absolutely everything with one meal or so a week that's more lax. Either way, I do my best to stay in my calories no matter what.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    not if you want to lose weight, no
  • nmb0717
    nmb0717 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My trainer says it's alright because it resets your metabolism. If you eat at the same calorie allotment for a long time, your metabolism gets used to it and then runs at a lower level. Just don't get carried away and you'll be alright :)
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Unless your calorie goal is so high that 1000 calories is a small percentage, over eating by that much would be a red flag that your calorie goal is way too low.

If you feel like you need a "cheat day" then your diet is too restrictive to be sustainable, in my opinion.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    If you burn those 1000 calories over the week, then you are not actually over your calories for the week. So yes, it's fine.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    not if you want to lose weight, no

It depends on the person. If the math works out and he keeps losing weight, then why not? I know a few people who eat at maintenance one day per week or every other week, and they're still losing weight. I've noticed I lose more weight when I have one day per week where my calories are around 500 over goal. It keeps my body from becoming accustomed to the same intake and helps prevent plateaus.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I did that for awhile, but then I realized it took me nearly a whole week to burn off my binge. If you do it in moderation, it shouldn't hurt so bad. I'm just an all-or-nothing type of personality. So, I keep my calories at a generous limit that allows me to have what I want in moderation, while still losing weight. That's been a big life lesson for me.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Idk about having one day a "weak", but having one day a week should be alright. If you exercise off the additional 1000 calories that you overate, in the end, all things are equal.
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    I do a cheat day every now and then, though not once a week. Just helps me stay sane. It's reserved for things like pizza and waffles that I wouldn't be able to work into a regular day in a reasonable quantity. But I also still log everything and don't go too overboard based on looking at the whole week.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I suppose it depends on if you're ok with it, right? I eat pizza on Saturday night but work it off in the days around it. I am not ok having a total cheat day and not working it off. That would set me back.
  • xjckemx
    xjckemx Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you burn those 1000 calories over the week, then you are not actually over your calories for the week. So yes, it's fine.

I'd agree with this!! I sometimes have extra on a Saturday but only if I've got calories left from the week not eaten/ burned. So at end of week as long ad your not over calories I think it works!
  • KevinS62
    KevinS62 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I overeat let's say by 1000 calories, but I make sure that I burn an extra 1000 during the week to make up for it. Is it better to just write it off or does burning an additional 1000 calories actually make a difference?

I'll hit myself with an extra 1,000 calories every once in a whle, but I try not to. I'm set my calorie target pretty low and all it takes is a party or going out to eat, and BAM, I'm over my target by a bunch.

But to have a day set aside for allowing myself to eat whatever I want? No. Let's say I plan to go to a party and/or BBQ, and I know I'm going to eat, I budget my calories a bit prior to it. Save some extra calories, eat a light breakfast and lunch, get some sort of cardio burn, and then go to the BBQ.
  • kimm147
    kimm147 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i will only splurge first if i really really really want to, and i make sure it is on a KILLER workout day. no regrets, thats how i live. i never ever get down on myself. i do what i want, and i do it with purpose. every choice, every time!
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I do cheat meals rather than cheat days, that way I only go over by a little and it still satisfies my cravings
  • violinkeri
    violinkeri Posts: 212
    Options
    I eat whatever I want all the time....just in sensible portions and under my calories. problem solved.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    Options
    Yes but I would log it anyway.
    I have a cheat meal on Thursdays after my way in
  • MissySchwab
    MissySchwab Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    eat what you want but make it fit your personal goals .So maybe half the regular amount or do lower calorie substitutions in a recipe to make it work for you.I know I like some bad foods so I eat a hlf portion and fill up on low calorie veggies with it
  • he32002
    he32002 Posts: 1
    Options
    In my opinion not all calories are created equal just like all protein is not the same or all carbs are bad. It's not the calorie count you have to worry about but he quality of food. 1000 calories of pork ribs will have a different effect than soy protein. I ate one piece of cold pizza the other day at lunch and my body protested for the rest of the day. So, yes you can eat anything you want but it's going to cost you.