Do abs change from the top down?

Options
Well I must say I've come along way in the sit-up department! In January I couldn't do one! Now I'm doing 3 sets of incline sit-ups and using the captians chair regularly :smile: Well today I was scoping out my abs after a short workout and I think I see the 2 of the 6 pack starting by my ribs! Yey!

So is this how it happens? Will I see results up top first then as more fat comes off I'll start to see more deffinition? Any killer ab moves you want to throw at me is nice also :happy:

Replies

• April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Cardio, Cardio, Cardio!!!!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    That's the opposite of what I tend to see, actually! I can easily drop fat on my lower abdominal area, but I have a chunk of fat right below my breasts that is so stubborn! I'm sure it just depends upon where you specifically store your fat.

I like the captain's chair myself (or hanging leg raises) and I love to do lots of plank moves. Burpees and mountain climbers are killer!

Oh! And I did this one for the first time the other day. I used a kitchen down to slide my feet on the floor. I did 5 sets of 20 reps and they killed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1cHX3l0G68
  • monilark
    monilark Posts: 42
    Options
    That's what happening with mine. I'm very thin but have that saggy Mommy pooch. :( My upper abs are getting very defined, but my lower abs still have a long ways to go ... maybe all the way to the plastic surgeon's office!
  • JeremyM3476
    Options
    Yep Cardio is the key.. Unless you have very little fat to begin with, its pretty much impossable to get a six pack without diong cardio.. Try google H.I.I.T. its a kill cardio workout that only last 15 mins, but burns more fat than doing regular cardio for 40 mins..
  • ComfortFoodAddict
    ComfortFoodAddict Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I would love to see abs period lol
  • jennab727
    Options
    Different types of ab workouts will target different zones of your abdominal muscles. If you want to see results besides the top portion, look up exercises that work lower abs and obliques. And definitely the more cardio you do, the more results you will see! Keep up the good work!
  • MyKidzMom
    MyKidzMom Posts: 97
    Options
    I have the mommy pooch too which i absolutely hate!!! Is there a way to actually get rid of that other than plastic surgery?
  • crystallite71
    Options
    I dunno, My son is almost 18 and he's been working hard to define his lower ab region. I think it takes time and persistance. Keep at it, you will see them soon i'm sure.

As far as me, well I have them somewhere under the 3 layers of fat ;)
  • JennaLee1486
    JennaLee1486 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! Lower abs are stubborn for most people. Ab exercises to target lower abs....

* Lay on a flat weightlifting bench (like it's a bed, not sideways!) with your butt at the edge of it. HOLD ON right near your ears. Then bring your legs up and try to touch your toes behind your head. Then bring your legs slowly down until they are ALMOST at the floor, then repeat. First time I did these I think I did like 7 and rolled off the bench in agony.

* Lay on the floor with your legs up and bent at 90 degrees. (your arms can go out to the sides if you are a beginner, or behind your head like you would for a regular crunch if you are more advanced) Try to keep your legs up and bent while lifting your butt up off the floor (kind of like you are going to roll into a backward somersault). Come back to starting position with your legs bent at 90 degrees. This one is a Jillian Michel's 30 day shred move, so you may be able to google it and get a better description!