What is the root of your weight issue?

Options

Replies

• ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I like chocolate, junk food and wine. And I'm lazy.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Laziness, denial, emotional/bored eating, self hatred.
  • Sherae12
    Sherae12 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When I was 12 my life started changing drastically and I didn't adjust well. It went from just a small indulgence (to get my mind off things) to full blown binge sessions and before you know it I was wearing double digits.

Let's just say....Now that I've turned 20 it's time to kick the habbit
  • jstcallmecoco
    Options
    I would say poor time management and my undeniable sweet tooth.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I like to eat calorie-dense foods and sit on my butt. That's the root of it, but...

I've always been chubby-- I've always preferred to sit and read instead of go outside to play.

My dad used to drink nightly and when he'd go to the party store to buy his beer, he'd usually buy me a candy of some sort as well. I'd either go with him and pick out my own, or he would bring one home and hide it for me to find. It's pretty much the only positive interaction I remember with my dad, and in relationships I still tend to equate being brought goodie-type food with a sign of love. At least I recognize it now, even if I haven't completely got control of it. :)

I actually eat pretty well now for the most part, but I still don't like moving my carcass around.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I was always very thin (I'm petite and have a small frame). When I was a kid I was allowed to eat whatever I wanted in whatever quantities I wanted. I was never required to clean my plate or eat my vegetables (I always ate them anyway! Vegggiiieees <3 ). I always had a healthy relationship with food and a moderately active lifestyle just from being young and having fun.

Then the crap hit the fan. I graduated college (a year early from cramming 26 credits into my semesters to save money because I paid for it myself by working my *kitten* off), got married, had two kids and bought a house all in the space of 4 years. I married a very lovely man who would run and buy fast food and ice cream/candy at any hint of me being overwhelmed. So, I developed sedentary habits from being pregnant and breastfeeding for 4 years straight, and stress eating habits from being constantly overwhelmed and learning from my husband's eating patterns.

So the short answer is overeating and not moving enough, but those are the reasons behind why I developed those habits.
  • _AllieCat_
    _AllieCat_ Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I ate more than I was burning off.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    oreos and milk is just too good
  • JenniferLynx
    JenniferLynx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Grew up with an obese family that associates celebration with good food....I never learned portion control...or really any self control. Throw on some self esteem issues, teenage angst, and an internalized sense of failure and BOOM 230lbs
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    just having too much of what i fancied all the time
    no exercise at all
    i didnt start off this way at all, so all self inflicted.
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Eating sugar after dinner, it kills me
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    food is yummies and I want to stuff it in my mouth a lot.

laziness has never realy been an issue for me...except when i'm depressed I guess.
  • HealthyinAZ
    HealthyinAZ Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Obese family - and extreme physical abuse growing up. Nothing says overweight like feeling you aren't worth the effort and work to be healthy.
  • FitSuga
    FitSuga Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I didn't have any problems until I became a mom. I was fine with the first two but when I got pregnant with twins is when the weight really started giving me problems. I was on bed rest, ended up losing one of our babies so it just led to weight gain and all that.
  • llmcconnell
    llmcconnell Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    SAD: Standard American Diet< I blame it mostly on you (and my lack of self-control towards food and not exercising), but mostly my diet. I eat when I'm not hungry and sometimes because good memories are connected to bad food (junk/fast food), I think it tastes delicious, when in fact it is actually really nasty. I've also kind of gotten used to my body, since I've been this way for about 7 years now but I've always kind of had body image issues but now the pendulum swings in the opposite direction where I think I look good but my mirror lies, the camera is a much better at disclosing the truth... It's as much a mental challenge as it is a physical one.
  • jesslauraa28
    Options
    overall love of crappy food!
  • irisia99
    irisia99 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I just really, really like food.

ME TOO! I like all kinds of food and I like to eat lots of it! All the time. When I'm not hungry. I just like to taste. And chew.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I gained alot of weight due to binge eating which got out of control after I was raped as a teen and was in a domestic violence relationship for years....fear of leaving him and constant threats. He threatend me when I got thin and he thought that I would leave and be with someone else. Eventually I just had enough and took my chances and left.(first attempt at leaving was a nightmare, but then I got out of the situation some years later) I guess that food problems came from fear then and I still struggle when I feel not heard or not being in control of situations. It is a work in progress, but I will get there. Best wishes to everyone who is losing weight and changing for the better.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I enjoy food.:smile:
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    My parents and I immigrated to the US when I was about 9 and I left all my family and loving grandparents behind. My parents divorced shortly afterward and my mother became verbally and emotionally abusive, father had been a source of terror and after the divorce was largely absent from my life. I'm an only child and had no one else to turn to, so I turned to food for comfort. As I grew older my mother became competitive with me, similar to the Snow White story, resenting my youth, and the abuse worsened into my teenage years. Eating for comfort became a habit and a vicious cycle of shame. Also I was too sedentary as a kid, preferring to escape into my room with a good book.