Joined a free weight gym, when I asked "Do you have...

2»

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    Yeah, why is that?

I've only seen women working free weights at college gyms.

I think as a general rule women aren't encouraged to lift heavy.. or at all... unless its under 5llb and pink! :)

I have to be honest. When I first started going to the gym which at the time was a VERY small fitness center where I worked I never was afraid to lift, I just didn't know what to do. I'd do classes for my cardio and fumble through weights. I actually got asked by one of the gals there if the classes were the only cardio I did and what was my weight routine. Eventually they expanded the fitness center and I always had the people who worked there give me programs for lifting. The best ones I had were made by the guys who worked there. They saw I was serious about lifting and lifted heavy and constantly would try and challenge me.

Oh, and you can't beat FREE. The fitness center I went to was free and I LOVED it.
  • ladyjoie
    ladyjoie Posts: 165 Member
    I go to my uni gym, and it's only ever been guys in the free weights section with me. I was so nervous the first time I was there but if you go in with confidence, it doesn't matter. Most of the guys at my gym are looking at themselves in the mirror more than anything else.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    FWIW, guys feel this too the first time they go into the free weight section. Or at least I did/do.
  • LJSmith1989
    LJSmith1989 Posts: 650
    FWIW, guys feel this too the first time they go into the free weight section. Or at least I did/do.

Really? I suppose you would really
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Yeah, why is that?

I've only seen women working free weights at college gyms.

Even in my university's gym, I'm usually the only girl. Sometimes there's one other. Sad :(
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    I've been using the 'weights' section at planet fitness, there are many women there. Also, due to lack of proper equipment at planet fitness, I am switching to another, much older gym where I didn't see many women. While checking the place out, I asked a few questions of some guys in the weight area (between their sets, of course) and they were very helpful and friendly and possibly a bit amused but... There is 'women only' section upstairs that SURPRISE! has a squat machine. Didn't seem to get too heavy as far as plates but it's enough for now. I'll ask if they can increase later, and if not, I will totally be working out downstairs with the guys.

New wave feminism? Kick them out of the weight room!!

LOL, nah, I like to keep them around in case I need a spotter. haha

Good point.. also some of them are quite nice to look at.. I mean to check on correct form :)

:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • mdn15
    mdn15 Posts: 145
    When I go to the free weight area of the gym... there is usually 100 muscle guys (think the "Rock") to me.... I got a lot of stares.... No sure if it is b/c I'm only 5' tall, there are a lot of guys, or a combination of both... I hold my head up high and do my work out... I know my purpose which is to workout....

Once the guys realize I can out lift a lot of them... they stop staring... They go back to what they are orginally there to do... lift weights.

So just go in there and don't feel intimidated... You deserve to workout just like the other guys.