Heavy Lifting Routine on Machines

Options
dp1228
dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
There was another thread that posted this question, but unfortunately the OP never got an answer to his question. Please note:

1. I know free weights are better for heavy lifting and that lifting heavy on machines causes an isolation issue and doesn't work out supporting muscles sufficiently.

2. I do multiple different types of exercises (total body bootcamp workouts, body weight workouts, workouts including free weights) that work out those supporting muscles

If anyone can help, what I am looking for is a heavy lifting routine that can be done using machines that will give a "full-body workout." I would only be doing a routine like this once or twice a week. All other times would be free weights or other body weight exercises.

Hope someone can help!

Replies

• jessincincy
    Options
    I'm not sure this is what you're looking for, but I have been rotating these routines for two weeks now, and although I'm a newb, I feel it is already working. Hope that helps!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-beginners-machine-workout-for-women.html
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Why do you plan on using machines?
  • dp1228
    Options
    I'm not sure this is what you're looking for, but I have been rotating these routines for two weeks now, and although I'm a newb, I feel it is already working. Hope that helps!

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ultimate-beginners-machine-workout-for-women.html

Thanks! That's exactly the type of thing I was looking for! I was also curious to hear from anyone who has had success incorporating machines for heavy lifting in their workout regiment.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

Thanks! That's exactly the type of thing I was looking for! I was also curious to hear from anyone who has had success incorporating machines for heavy lifting in their workout regiment.

The problem you're going to run into is that there is really no such thing as a "full body" workout based on machines. The way machines force you to move along a predetermined path/track to move the weight, a LOT of smaller muscle groups are going to be missed.
  • dp1228
    Options

I work out during my lunch hour twice a week. I only have an hour for lunch After a 2 or 3 mile run, I still want to get in some strength. And I've found that using the machines to do a strength circuit takes up less time then free weights. And it's easy to hop from one machine to the next. Idk why but setting up the weights and doing the free weight exercises seems to eat up a lot more time then I have during lunch lol!
  • contingencyplan
    Options

I work out during my lunch hour twice a week. I only have an hour for lunch After a 2 or 3 mile run, I still want to get in some strength. And I've found that using the machines to do a strength circuit takes up less time then free weights. And it's easy to hop from one machine to the next. Idk why but setting up the weights and doing the free weight exercises seems to eat up a lot more time then I have during lunch lol!

Actually, circuit training is more of a cardio workout than a strength workout. And when working with free weights sticking to compounds it's actually less time. You can get in a full body workout doing only three exercises with free weights. And it'll be a much better workout, too.
  • dp1228
    Options

The problem you're going to run into is that there is really no such thing as a "full body" workout based on machines. The way machines force you to move along a predetermined path/track to move the weight, a LOT of smaller muscle groups are going to be missed.

Do you think I'd be able to compensate for that with my other three weekly workouts? I do HIIT, running, kickboxing (including kettlebell) and free weights (twice a week). I'd be donig the machines twice a week.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options

Define "success."

The only machine I use is the lat pulldown. The rest is dumbbells and a loaded barbell. Provides an awesome full body workout.
  • dp1228
    Options

Actually, circuit training is more of a cardio workout than a strength workout. And when working with free weights sticking to compounds it's actually less time. You can get in a full body workout doing only three exercises with free weights. And it'll be a much better workout, too.

Okay so maybe if I can find more of those full body free weight exercises I can try that instead. Thanks! If you have any suggestions or links please share!
  • dp1228
    Options

Define "success."

The only machine I use is the lat pulldown. The rest is dumbbells and a loaded barbell. Provides an awesome full body workout.

Just meant people who were able to achieve a sculpted physique using the machines. Thanks! I def should be using the barbell more then I do.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

Okay so maybe if I can find more of those full body free weight exercises I can try that instead. Thanks! If you have any suggestions or links please share!

Look up the Stronglifts program. It's a free weights training program that uses barbells and only has you doing 3 exercises per day. Those exercises are the Squat, Bench Press, and Bent-Over Row one day, and the Squat, Deadlift, and Overhead Press another day. Three days a week doing this. But there's more details about the program you should know.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

IMO, you'd be much better served using that entire lunch period taking the time to lift with free weights than running and then using inferior machines. My .02
  • nguk123
    nguk123 Posts: 223
    Options
    Free weights have benefits for athletes, i.e. the supporting muscle training etc.

If you are training to stimulate the growth of your major muscles, for appearance, then I don't see why machines would be so inferior if we assume that your goals don't include maximum athletic performance and the avoidance of injury when engaged in a sport...

Plenty of 'bodybuilders' do a significant portion of training on machines and to great effect.

In terms of the order of your routine; you should probably warm up, then lift, with a focus on progressing from session to session, and then get your run in with your left over energy.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    ^^ This is a huge point. Don't run BEFORE you lift, particularly if you plan on lifting heavy. In any strength training session, compound barbell movements come first.

It seems like your exercise program is kind of "throw things at the wall and see what sticks." May I ask what your goals are?