Calf ache help

Options
I exercise 4 - 6x a week early in the morning (6 am or earlier), mostly a mixture of boot camps and 3.5 - 6 miles of running on alternating days. Recently, I've been experiencing a pain in my right calf that lingers much of the day. The first 100 yards or so of running hurts, but after that I'm fine. Any advice on how to address this? The stretches that I've tried don't seem to work the right part of the calf well enough.

Thanks.

Replies

• MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Do you have a rolling pin? A good ole fashioned wooden rolling pin? Rub it before and after to roll out your sore spots (hard, it will hurt). It will get rid of built up lactic acid in the muscle. My trainer had this thing called a HAPPY MUSCLE which was basically a thin plastic rolling pin. I worked on a bad spot on my leg for about 20 minutes and then I was fine! You probably have a knot there and the lactic acid builds up more.
  • kpstacy
    kpstacy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    A foam roller works wonders. If you don't have one, from one runner to another, I say you should get one and use it for every muscle. But as previously stated, a rolling pin will work as well. What is happening is your calf muscles are tight an need to be "loosened" prior to. Foam rollers work with the myofacial tissue that surrounds the muscles. If you can get that to "let go" you won't have the pain. It is great to do before a run, especially on calves and the IT bands. Hope this helps.
  • SilentBobF3
    Options
    Awesome. Appreciate the advice.