Too Much Water???

NewMe80xoxo
NewMe80xoxo Posts: 172
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I was wanting to know if it is possible to drink to much water? I was thinking about drink a bottle of water every hour that equals about two cups of water an hour. Which is about 11 hours I would be drinking the water. So thats about 176 oz. of water i think! If I did the math right which I probably didn't.

I did 11 hours at 2 bottles of water an hour = 22 cups
22 cups at 8 oz a cup = 22 X 8 = 176

Is that right?

ANYWAYS IS THAT TOO MUCH WATER TO DRINK??? AND HOW MUCH WATER DO YOU DRINK???

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    That's only right if you weigh about 352 pounds.
    You should aim for about half your weight in ounces of water.
    More is OK, but not too much more as you could get sick or even die.

Google "water toxicity" and read about it.
  • This is what I found...

Can You Really Drink Too Much Water?

In a word, yes. Drinking too much water can lead to a condition known as water intoxication and to a related problem resulting from the dilution of sodium in the body, hyponatremia. Water intoxication is most commonly seen in infants under six months of age and sometimes in athletes. A baby can get water intoxication as a result of drinking several bottles of water a day or from drinking infant formula that has been diluted too much. Athletes can also suffer from water intoxication. Athletes sweat heavily, losing both water and electrolytes. Water intoxication and hyponatremia result when a dehydrated person drinks too much water without the accompanying electrolytes.

and

It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.

I don't know if that really answered your question, but at least it gives you some info to pounder. And I drink 10 glasses a day, usually. :)
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    It's a lot, but not too much. If that's what you want to do then it will be fine.
  • ComfortFoodAddict
    ComfortFoodAddict Posts: 278 Member
    You should not drink over your body weight in ounces. Example- You weight 200lbs. That means you need to get max of 100 ounces of water. (about 12.5 cups) Now this is if you are not exercising. If you are exercising, then drink as long as you are thirsty. I would not push water though. However, I know I have had those days that I topped 16 cups because I couldnt seem to quench my thirst. Just listen to your body.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    It certainly isn't necessary to drink that much water, but that wouldn't do too much harm. You could potentially cause an electrolyte imbalance. Too much water, as in water intoxication or death, usually takes a gallon in an hour or a very large amount like that. Unless you are working out, I would probably make that 1 bottle every 2 hours. That would be more reasonable.

I personally don't track my water as I have absolutely no problem getting in my 64+ oz per day. I drink water all the time. Weekends, I should track because I drink a lot less water, but at work no problemo! 64 - 100 oz per day.
  • sparkles321
    sparkles321 Posts: 107
    Drink as much as you want. Water intoxication is actually really hard to do. The few cases I have heard about are people who have done some sort of "who can drink the most water in a minute" sort of competition and downed way too much way too quickly. But one bottle an hour is nowhere near that sort of chug power.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    I was wanting to know if it is possible to drink to much water? I was thinking about drink a bottle of water every hour that equals about two cups of water an hour. Which is about 11 hours I would be drinking the water. So thats about 176 oz. of water i think! If I did the math right which I probably didn't.

I did 11 hours at 2 bottles of water an hour = 22 cups
    22 cups at 8 oz a cup = 22 X 8 = 176

Is that right?

ANYWAYS IS THAT TOO MUCH WATER TO DRINK??? AND HOW MUCH WATER DO YOU DRINK???

I'm suprised no one has asked, "Why would you want to drink that much water?" At first getting in my 8 cups/day was hard. Then I cut out ALL other beverages (maybe I'll have milk twice a month). Now depending on how much I work out I get in 10-16 cups a day. I don't force it down, I just make sure that I always have a bottle available and drink when I'm thirsty. On my 16 cup days I'm in the bathroom constantly and it is annoying. Unless you have a ton of free time I'd aim a bit lower.
  • NewMe80xoxo
    NewMe80xoxo Posts: 172
    Thank you all for your input...I have rethought and my new water goal is...

half my body weight (100) so divide that by 8 oz = 12.5 bottles...so I'm going to drink about 13 bottles of water a day...so now I'm going to aim for about a bottle of water every 2 hours!!!

Thanks again yall!
This discussion has been closed.