C-section moms -- will scar fade???

Options
i had a csection a lil over a yr ago and i was wondering for those who have had one how long it took, if ever, to fade enough to barely be noticeable.

my twins were very small so i got lucky and my incision scar is maybe 3inches in length and it is low enough that my underwear/bikini bottoms hide it, but i am due with another baby in 8 weeks (or less) and the doctor wont decide until my next scan in 2wks whether or not i can deliver naturally or if i need a repeat csection. i am stressing out horribly about the thought of another csection for many reasons.
1- i have twin toddlers at home to care for as well as the newborn and a 6yr old, which will make things very difficult during healing time as my young ones arent old enough to understand mommy needs to heal and cant pick them up and is not a big playtoy etc. also im due shortly before my daughters dance recital so it gets very busy time of yr, lots of running around and i have no one else who can fill in for me.
2- im sooo motivated to workout and finally get in shape and reach my goal this yr, i have all my post -baby workout schedules planned out and am looking forward to wearing my bikini this summer and my shorter shirts etc. if i have csection i know they'll have to make incision above the previous one which will make it visible and it will be bigger. i am so self conscious about the one i have already and i can hide it and its small i cant imagine my insecurities and frustration if i had one that i couldnt hide without giving up my bikini and belly bearing clothing.

sorry for the long rant, i tend to babble a lot, esp when stressed. what im getting at is will it fade or always be noticeable? will my bikini wearing days be over if i have another?

thankyou.

Replies

• GreenLaura22
    GreenLaura22 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I had a c-section for both my pregnancies. They were able to cut along the same scar line. Mine are about 5-6 inches long, my first c-section was 6 years ago, my second was 4 years ago. I had pain along the scar and numbness due to some incorrect stitching.... This has totally gone away! I have full feeling back and no pain... It is much much softer and lighter. Start masaging the area now daily with cocoa butter... I wish I had! I understand how it is with little ones and newborns after c-sections! My daughter was just 3 when my son was born, I also was caring for my 2 year old niece at the time. You are a mom to twins! You are strong, capable and obviously organized and proactive. Just take it one day at a time, and when it gets tough you take it minute by minute. Good luck!
  • JenS2586
    JenS2586 Posts: 85
    Options
    thankyou :) with my twins they removed my staples prematurely and after a trip to the ER i had to get homecare and antibiotics for a week cuz one part was reopening. so my healing sucked, but my boys were born at 30 weeks and were 2lbs and 3lbs so they spent some time in hospital before coming home so i didnt have to worry about caring for newborns while i was healing, just puppies (we had recently bred our saint bernards and still had a few remaining at this time). i didnt get feeling back in lower stomach for the longest time. its still very tender, esp now that baby is moving down so low. i can no longer see my scar to see if it is fading hahaha.

i didnt think they would do a repeat incision over an old scar because of scar tissue?
  • kimmynw1
    kimmynw1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi Shelley!
    I had 3 c-sections and yes they go through the same scar everytime. They just clean up the additional scar tissue with each one. Your bikini wearing days are not over! :smile: As long as your scars don't keloid sp? they will fade quickly and be hidden beneath your bikini bottoms. Congrats on the new baby! :flowerforyou:
  • JenS2586
    Options
    thankyou that is good to hear! i thought i read somewhere that they go above. still have fingers crossed i wont need another! as long as this baby cooperates and is head down and isnt too big for me than i should be ok.

did your scar fade over time?
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Knock on wood I've never had a csection as I am pregnant at the moment. I have a cousin pregnant. She is not delivering at a particular hospital as they don't do VBACs. So you may want to check into that.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Heh. No.

I had 2 c-sections over 20 years ago. Yes, it does fade a bit, but I've often considered plastic surgery for the pooch. Really though, nobody sees it and nobody cares all that much.
  • Supastarrnikki
    Options
    I've had 2 csections exactly 14 monthes apart, and went along the same scar area. In august it will 5 years since the first one, and the scar is still there and really noticeable. Although I had issues with my scar area tearing open, so i dont know if that has somthing to do with it... it looks disgusting..

I also have a horrible uneven pooch that I dont think will ever go away... ill probably never be able to wear a bikini again..
  • TamaraGraceS
    TamaraGraceS Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    3 c sections and the scar is there. Last one was the worst!
  • lstok873
    lstok873 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Just had my second csection in October. They went through the same scar as my first as well. My first scar faded nicely, it looks pretty decent now too. I also ended up with an infection with my first (ER trip with daily home nurse visits following), but this csection went smoothly. One tip I have (had a 2.5 year old at home when I came home from hospital), is to wear the abdominal support wrap at home. I bought a fancy one, but it sucked & just used the one from the hospitak. It really gave me the support to be able to take care of my toddler when I could. My doc permitted me to pick her up after the first week off. But I did so only when necessary, I was scared of another infection! Good luck, hope you don't have to do the repeat C!
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think it depends on the doctor. I had an amazing doctor.

I had my c-section January 2012. This is what it looks like now....

515448.jpg
  • Supastarrnikki
    Options
    how can i post a pic to this?
  • Supastarrnikki
    Options
    your scar looks nice... mines horrid
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options

Use lowercase, but LINK
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Had a csec almost 8 mos ago and the first 10yrs ago. I honestly don't care about the scar. They went over the first one. I didn't mind and actually wanted the repeat. I healed faster the first time around as I was more fit back then. Let myself go with this one lol. Anyway, good luck and just try and have your support system in place for whichever outcome.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    Everyone is different. :smile: I've only had 1 c-section, but my scar is almost invisible. And that is cool, because I seemed like I scarred so bad in the past. I hope you heal well and get the rest you need! Congrats on the new baby!
  • Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    i had a csection a lil over a yr ago and i was wondering for those who have had one how long it took, if ever, to fade enough to barely be noticeable.

my twins were very small so i got lucky and my incision scar is maybe 3inches in length and it is low enough that my underwear/bikini bottoms hide it, but i am due with another baby in 8 weeks (or less) and the doctor wont decide until my next scan in 2wks whether or not i can deliver naturally or if i need a repeat csection. i am stressing out horribly about the thought of another csection for many reasons.
    1- i have twin toddlers at home to care for as well as the newborn and a 6yr old, which will make things very difficult during healing time as my young ones arent old enough to understand mommy needs to heal and cant pick them up and is not a big playtoy etc. also im due shortly before my daughters dance recital so it gets very busy time of yr, lots of running around and i have no one else who can fill in for me.
    2- im sooo motivated to workout and finally get in shape and reach my goal this yr, i have all my post -baby workout schedules planned out and am looking forward to wearing my bikini this summer and my shorter shirts etc. if i have csection i know they'll have to make incision above the previous one which will make it visible and it will be bigger. i am so self conscious about the one i have already and i can hide it and its small i cant imagine my insecurities and frustration if i had one that i couldnt hide without giving up my bikini and belly bearing clothing.

sorry for the long rant, i tend to babble a lot, esp when stressed. what im getting at is will it fade or always be noticeable? will my bikini wearing days be over if i have another?

thankyou.

I had 4 c-sections and they went over the same scar each time. No one will ever see it in a bikini. As far as healing goes you will probably recover quicker than the last time. I think I did with each one.
  • JenS2586
    Options
    Thanks everyone. And wow your scar looks great already! My boys are 17months now and last I could see mine was still very noticeable and inflamed, and it hurts a lot. But it hasn't had much time to heal I guess given I got preg 3 months post csection, lost the baby at 3months and few months later after my first period post miscarriage I got preggo again. So my bodies been through a lot in past year.
    Did any of you use anything on your incisions? I've been using straight vit E cream on my belly, mostly my scar for the past few months, hoping that it'll help. I can't stand the smell of lotions esp shea butter and it makes my skin break out so I won't use that.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I did not use anything on my scar.
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I've had 2 and its been 4.5 years since my last. I could barely find my scar the other night ( to show my daughter lol )
  • Supastarrnikki
    Options

Use lowercase, but LINK

tried posting a pic but it wont?