Just had gallbladder surgery

Options
Hey everyone!

I have been struggling with my gallbladder for nine years, not knowing what was wrong with me. I finally got an answer as to what the horrendous pain was on 3/10/13 (one doctor in the ER finally thought an ultrasound was a good idea, bless him!). I was scheduled for surgery on the 19th and woke up well, but with a ton of pain (surgery is not fun, I know it would hurt but omg). It was a rough gallbladder surgery, since the doctor almost needed to open me further to get it out. It was severely inflamed and, according to him, filled to the absolute brim with gall stones. So, I know my upper middle incision is going to be the most irritated from stretching more than was expected.

Well, today is day number 5 and things are still sore, which I expect, but I'm just curious as to when I'll be able to tell a distinct difference in getting my strength back. Like today I walked around more than I have at all in the past 4 days, so I'm figuring it's movement related, since I've been recliner bound for a while now (I sleep in it and spend my whole day in it, pretty much). I mean, I can tell it's getting better somewhat, but my upper incisions are still pinchy and I felt some weird almost sloshie feeling earlier. It's gone away, but I'm not sure what to expect with healing. I just don't want to get a hernia and have issues where the incisions are. I am not pussing and the wounds look clean. The stri-strips are still in place, with my belly button one curling just from where it's located. Nothing looks inflamed or infected, but I'm being a worry-wart about my innards, since they had to go through my abdominal wall and my boss just had to have hernias fixed because of gallbladder surgery a year ago.. SO! Being a bit paranoid and would LOVE some input.

Thank everyone!

Replies

• GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You'll feel better about a week afterwards and about 85% by two weeks, probably 100% by 3 weeks. Just take it easy and don't push yourself.
  • amandacook06
    Options
    Don't worry... you'll be fine. I had my gall bladder out when my son was six weeks old... I've had three c-sections and they are 10x worse then the gall bladder surgery.

The biggest thing for me was that I had to adapt my eating habits. Butter was a no-no for a long time. You'll be back to normal soon!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    You'll feel better about a week afterwards and about 85% by two weeks, probably 100% by 3 weeks. Just take it easy and don't push yourself.

^^ This. My upper incision was much larger than normal as well due to the size of my stones. I only had 2 but 1 was the size of a quarter and the other a nickle. Just take it easy and unless you see "leaking" don't stress yourself over it. Remember they inflated you like a balloon, it takes time for that to go away as much as it does for the incisions to heal.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention I had an extra 2" incision on my side since my gallbladder was too inflamed to fit out of the laser incisions and a had a drain for a week and still managed to heal up fine. I remember being scared to get the incisiin wet in the shower because I thought it would mess them up or something. The best part is no more gallbladder pain!!!!