How do you set mini-goals?

sroseber
sroseber Posts: 197 Member
edited September 20 in Motivation and Support
Hey all! I was just thinking about how in the past I have set mini goals and rewards for myself and that seems much easier/less intimidating and the rewards (though smaller that a big reward for reaching my ultimate goal) aren't so far away that way. I have always set my mini goals as either losing a certain percent of my body weight (say every time i lose 1% I get some preset reward) or by reaching a 5 or 10 lb. milestone (not so much losing 5 or 10 lbs, though I've done that before too, but say my starting weight was 174 so once I'm under 170 then I reward myself, then once I'm under 165, etc.)

I was just wondering how other people set their mini goals. Do you do it by "when I lose X amt of weight" or do you set a goal to "lose X amt or be at X lbs in X number of weeks"? I have never put to much of a time frame on my goals. Last year I set a goal to reach my pre-wedding weight by my 10 year anniversary but missed it by about 9 lbs and even though I had lost 21 lbs I felt discouraged that I didn't make my goal. So I find the time lines aren't good for me because I focus to much on the goal in time than all I have already accomplished.

Also, how do you reward yourself for reaching your mini-goals? I refuse to reward myself with food or dessert. I either pick out specific things that I'm wanting to get (a shirt, a bag, a pair of shoes, a book, etc.) and say when I reach this goal I will get this item that I was wanting. Although I think the best reward system I set up for myself was to say for every % of body weight I lost I would set aside like $5. Once I reached a milestone goal (like getting into the "normal/healthy" weight range, or getting to my pre-baby weight, or pre-wedding weight, etc.) then I could take the money I'd saved and get something big with it. This did two things, 1) I got a reward for reaching a mini goal and 2) I had the money saved up for when I reached a bigger goal and could use it for the bigger reward.

Anyway, just curious how others set their goals and rewards. Getting ready to set mine this time around and trying to decide which method to go with to be the most motivating.

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    I set my mini goals with fitness and clothe sizes. When I would go down a couple sizes I would buy a new pair of pants or shirts. When I reached completing C25K, I bought a HRM. When I could bike for 1hr I bought a new water pack. To me, how you feel is more imporant than what the scale says. Don't overfrustrate yourself by setting weight goals. Even measurement goals would be better. (In my humble opinion.) Hope that helps.
  • I agree with the mini goals. It feels so overwelming whenI think about the whole weight I need to lose. So I am trying to set it small and focus on getting to that. Rightnow I focus on weekly losing 1-2 pounds and if I make 2 pounds I add a few extra calories for one meal. Then when I reach my somewhat bigger goal. 210 by July 3rd I might treat myself to a little gift, maybe a new outfit or something. Good luck!
  • jhoyett
    jhoyett Posts: 92 Member
    I completely agree Chenoachem, about the qualitative vs. the quantitative measurements. My brother and I go back and forth about this because he's obsessed with what the scale says and weighs himself multiple times a day. My goal is to get fit and be healthy which is not easily measured by a scale. Sroseber, you definitely have the right idea about setting the mini goals--you have to give yourself little wins along the way to stay motivated, especially if you're approaching this as a marathon and not a race. I typically reward the things I can control (like a 5 day workout week or staying within my calories everyday) as opposed to the things over which I have no control. Even if I do everything right, the scale may not cooperate and that could get frustrating. My rewards are pretty exclusive to a new outfit or new pair of shoes...nothing fitness related whatsoever--although I may consider that for the future. :)
  • amasot
    amasot Posts: 86
    I just try to get through one day at a time. I set a mini goal every day to eat the right foods and stay within my calorie parameters. I can't handle more than that. The weight can take care of itself.
  • sroseber
    sroseber Posts: 197 Member
    amasot, I think the taking it day by day is a great attitude. I have to say when I make it through the day and have stayed within my calorie limit I don't reward myself but the satisfaction of making it through one more day of "doing it right" feels great and is kind of a reward in itself. Great job, keep it up!

Chenochem and jhoyett, I have to say I never really thought about setting goals for myself this way. Seems like a no-brainer but it never crossed my mind. I guess when it comes to weight loss I get to focused on the "weight" part. Jhoyett, I like the idea of "reward the things I can control", this would be especially helpful when you reach a plateau but you know you are still working hard and doing everything you are supposed to and you are just waiting for your body to catch up.

Thank you all for such great ideas. I kind of set some mini weight loss goals last night, basically weekly, 2lbs./week goals. But since I'm just starting out I don't know if I will be able to lose 2 lbs/wk or if 1 or 1 1/2 will be more doable for me so I may adjust those as time goes on, as long as I'm losing each week I don't really worry too much about the number, the 2 lbs/wk was kind of an ideal. Although I was surprised to see how fast I could reach my goal weight if I were able to do that! I was hoping maybe to reach it by Christmas or New Years Eve (my daugher's birthday) but when I figured it up at 2lbs/wk I would reach my goal weight by early October! So as long as I keep losing something maybe (1-1 1/2lbs/wk) I'm OK if it takes a little longer than that to reach my goal weight.

I haven't decided if I'm going to set some other, none weight related goals yet...I think I might. And I also haven't decide how I'm going to reward myself either...that's the fun part, I should think about that one. ;)

Good luck everyone, and let us know when you reach one of your goals or mini-goals and how you reward yourself for it!
This discussion has been closed.