Carb cycling

Options
Hi,
I am considering trying carb cycling, just looking for a little advice. I have done the calculations from this article
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/build-muscle-burn-fat-simultaneously.htm
and on low days that actually puts me on 1078 calories a day, which goes against everything I know really. Is it ok because the other days make up for it or have I done it wrong? If I do 2xhigh, 2x medium and 3x low a week it gives me a deficit of 4227 calories from my TDEE a week, this seems a little high since I am already very light, just wanting to cut body fat? Maybe I should just do less low days? Other articles I have looked at give me similar numbers.

Anything else I need to know, or any other articles I should read? I am interested in low/moderate/high, not no/low/high.

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • zaneyard
    zaneyard Posts: 28
    Options
    I suggest you do some research into leangains. I'm not really sure what the whole low/medium/high thing is, but yes, 1000 calories a day is quite a big cut unless you're severely overweight. Then again, I shouldn't make any assumptions because you listed no stats at all.

Edit: wow I just read that article and it makes me think that the writer wanted to complicate the process as much as possible.

For information on leangains, check out reddit.com/r/leangains and http://examine.com/leangains-faq/

If you post more about your goals and stats, I might be able to help you more.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I zig-zag my cals not just carbs. I think carb-cycling is only required if one is relatively lean or been dieting for quite some time. For regular weight-loss though a plain deficit will do, but Google is your friend,
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Not severely overweight at all, in fact I would be bordering on underweight, don't want to be lighter as such, just have a lower body fat percentage (I am approximately 16%) and would love to have more muscle and therefore weigh more in the end.
    I am going to read those three links tonight and get back to you guys with more stats if I still feel like I need help
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    This is an advanced method of dieting and i think most people would do a terrible job of it... I highly recommend you succeed doing a more conventional diet before trying a carb cycling calorie cycling diet.... Not to mention, they are a lot of work.

I think its safe.. your weekly calories balance... these diets generally have you swinging in and out of ketosis.. if you dont have the work capacity to get back into ketosis its benefits will be greatly depreciated... if you dont eat enough on the refeed days it could be a catastrophe... i ighly recommend that nobody try this as a beginning diet... its extreme... well Ultimate Diet 2.0 seemed way too extreme for me.

I'm goin g to try it when i've finally accomplished ALL of my goals because I think I may enjoy it more than eating at maitenance everyday.... I dont want to bulk forever and at some point itll be time to just level off... having bigger calorie days contrasting smaller calorie days sounds nice... but the carb cycling still may be "off my menu".... sounds mentally taxing

ETA: that deficit sounds odd.... the cycling diets i looked at had you eating like 1100 cals 4 days a week and 4000 cals the other 3... average that out and its a bit over 2500 a day...
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Thanks for the info astronomicals :) I have been doing a standard calorie counting IIFYM cut for a while now, and have succeeded to an extent, I was originially going to bulk soon, but I think something like carb cycling might be more for me. Will probably still end up bulking in the end, but feel I need to get more lean first.
    I have read that scoobys workshop one, its great :) to me it seems much more realistic. However most pages i've read suggest working low/moderate/high days depending on when you are working out, am I right in understand that scoobys is 4 low then 4 high repeatedly, not relating to when you are exercising?

I haven't had time to read the other two links yet, but I will be doing so
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Not severely overweight at all, in fact I would be bordering on underweight, don't want to be lighter as such, just have a lower body fat percentage (I am approximately 16%) and would love to have more muscle and therefore weigh more in the end.
    I am going to read those three links tonight and get back to you guys with more stats if I still feel like I need help

is 16% considered lower? i had always thought stuff like this didnt matter much til around 10%
  • astronomicals
    Options
    Thanks for the info astronomicals :) I have been doing a standard calorie counting IIFYM cut for a while now, and have succeeded to an extent, I was originially going to bulk soon, but I think something like carb cycling might be more for me. Will probably still end up bulking in the end, but feel I need to get more lean first.
    I have read that scoobys workshop one, its great :) to me it seems much more realistic. However most pages i've read suggest working low/moderate/high days depending on when you are working out, am I right in understand that scoobys is 4 low then 4 high repeatedly, not relating to when you are exercising? i beleieve that getting to a point wehere my weak abs are defined will just give me huge mental barriers to deal with when i start bulking and it will be hard to eat enough calories without feeling guilt.... its the opposite of fat people undereating.. they wanna get rid of all that fat and they do anything to do it.... youll wanna maintain your skinnyfat weak chest look and it'll make bulking a psychological impediment.... at least for me it would...

im not familiar with scoobys.. ill go look into it...

Im in the same boat as you... i may be a coupld percent lower... i wanted to get more comfortable with my body image before bulking.... im sick of cutting.. i spend too much time thinking about muscle gain.. im in a caloric transition towards surplus now... if you're happy with your image I say just go for it.. next time I cut i'll have my 6 pack and cuts... im not gonna waste months cutting off that last bit now just to put it right back on.... i'm certain ill reach my final goal faster by switching to bulking now...
  • obsidianwings
    Options

is 16% considered lower? i had always thought stuff like this didnt matter much til around 10%
    Considered reasonably low for female, which I suppose I should have mentioned sorry. Its not extremely low though I just feel like this might be the extra boost I need
    Edit:
    Sorry just realised you might be questioning me saying my body fat is lower ( I thought you meant mine was not low enough to bother doing this), what I mean was I want a lower body fat percentage :)
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    I have read that scoobys workshop one, its great :) to me it seems much more realistic. However most pages i've read suggest working low/moderate/high days depending on when you are working out, am I right in understand that scoobys is 4 low then 4 high repeatedly, not relating to when you are exercising?

im not familiar with scoobys.. ill go look into it...

Im in the same boat as you... i may be a coupld percent lower... i wanted to get more comfortable with my body image before bulking.... im sick of cutting.. i spend too much time thinking about muscle gain.. im in a caloric transition towards surplus now... if you're happy with your image I say just go for it.. next time I cut i'll have my 6 pack and cuts... im not gonna waste months cutting off that last bit now just to put it right back on.... i'm certain ill reach my final goal faster by switching to bulking now...
    We do sound in a similar position. I have been stuck on a 4 pack for ages. The other thing thats kind of put the nail in the coffin for bulking with me is i've just been diagnosed with shoulder impingement and i'm waiting on a treatment plan, so not sure if i'm going to be able to work out enough to bulk or whether I will just end up fat. Building some muscle would be a bonus, but right now i'm just really trying to hold onto what i've got.
    Somebody posted the scooby article above, it made a lot of sense.
  • astronomicals
    Options
    well, as a FEMALE at 16% it might be worth trying.... u could also add mass to your abs in a bulk which would require less fatloss to make them all visible.... odds are you just dud a ****ty job working your transverse abdmomnius... wreck the rectus and then do things that are dedicated to the transverse abdominus (so the recuts cant do the work)... do it while in a surplus.... grow dat sheet

also work on larger ROM on rectus and longer hold with very slow eccentric releases... it could be that your upper rectus is doing all the work and the bottom abs arent getting enough activation

regardless.. you need to do this in a surplus or the growth will probably be slow
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Maybe, I can feel the lower ones under there though, just covered by fat and I guess some flabby skin (2 kids) but yeah I'm sure they could probably use some work :)
  • astronomicals
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-is-stubborn-fat-stubborn.html

could be that the cyclical diet is the answer.. ive never seen you.. im just brainstorming.... i say go for it if you like... you sound like youve done enough training to be competent in such an endeavor... good luck whatever ya choose to do

i have a zero pack.. wtf do i know..... lol.... i should be there by november... patience my friend :P
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, I will read the link :)
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    I have read the lean gains links now to. Its a great suggestion, but although it interests me I don't think any form of IF is for me to be honest. Thanks though :)
  • zaneyard
    zaneyard Posts: 28
    Options
    I have read the lean gains links now to. Its a great suggestion, but although it interests me I don't think any form of IF is for me to be honest. Thanks though :)

Was just a thought without knowing more of your goals.
  • astronomicals
    Options
    IF is just an eating protocol.. its not going to shed those last few pounds.... its doesnt even make any claims that remotely resemble that...

I did IF for a while and I enjoyed the larger meals I ate.... these days I just eat a few large meals a day and forget about the window.... ill admit that my body did get accustomed to not being hungry until the window.. nuff said.... this is off topic
  • astronomicals
    Options
    look into ultimate diet 2.0 OP... it may do the trick
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you wear a helmet.