talk to me about protien powder

Options
WHy do people use it? Why not just eat protein rich foods. Does it have other benefits to it.

Replies

• clairegogogo
    Options
    Of course other protein rich food is important, but I love my protein powder.
    Quick, easy, can add to most shakes/smoothies, taste good (rich chocolate flavor is my favorite and it stops my sweet craving), you can trust and be sure it has low carb, low sodium and very high in protein. You name it.
  • tammymusic1
    tammymusic1 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    what are some good brands there is so much out there
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes because after working out at 545am, nothing sounds good to eat, but I want to get something in my system before I get to work. I use GNC Total Lean Vanilla Bean (I think that's what it is called), it's in a white and blue canister and I mix it with almond milk. It's a meal replacement, so I have that around 7am and then have hard boiled eggs and some carbs around 10. So far it works for me
  • Swanie76
    Swanie76 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    unjury.com
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    very convient. most other high protein sorces need to be cooked. its also phenomenally more inexpensive per gram then any other protein source
  • writetomab
    writetomab Posts: 226
    Options
    Protein shakes are there as a supplement if you are not getting enough protein in your diet and also for convenience for pre and post workout etc... That's it really. If you already get sufficient protein in your diet then there is no need to incorporate protein shakes. If you workout and in particular do any form of lifting then it's likely you will have protein shakes for post workout purposes to aid muscle recovery and repair. You can also use it to create your own protein bars, flapjacks etc so it can be a good way of increasing your protein intake throughout your diet.

There are thousands out there andtto be honest they are all much of a muchness so comes down to personal taste. My favourites are PHD, Bodytronics and Reflex. A lot of people use My Protein as well.
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    what are some good brands there is so much out there

I use the "Muscletech" brand, which can be bought in 5-pound bags from "Le Club de Sam" for about $34. I use one scoop per 8 ounces of skim milk. It's tasty and easy to grab first thing in the morning. You have to keep it in a container where it's easy to shake the hell out of it, though, because it settles pretty badly. One of those 5-pound bags lasts you approximately forever.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I use Syntrax Matrix shakes. Protein shakes give you large amounts of protein for low calories, carbohydrates, fat, or sodium (or should). Whey protein is the fastest absorbed protein and has the highest Biological Value (BV) score and rates among the highest of pretty much any scale for metabolized protein.

BV Of Common Proteins
    • Whey=104
    • Whole egg=100
    • Egg white=88
    • Casein=77
    • Soy=74

Different Types of Protein in order of protein efficiency ratio (PER) scores:
    Whey (3.0-3.2) – highest quality protein
    Bovine Colostrum (3.0)
    Casein (2.9)
    Milk Protein (2.8) (80% casein, 20% whey) – low cost
    Egg Whites (2.8) - expensive
    Beef/Poultry/Fish (2.0-2.3)
    Soy (1.8-2.3)
    http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/foods-high-protein-efficiency-ratio-1288.html

But you can really do either whole lean protein foods or a protein shake. A shake is really just for convenience and speed.
  • arkgirl81
    arkgirl81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use Jarrow Formulas Brown Rice Protein. Love it! There is like two or three ingredients. Not gritty, not clumpy, no crap in it, no taste- so i can mix it in anything! Organic and awsome!
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    WHy do people use it? Why not just eat protein rich foods. Does it have other benefits to it.

I actually used to use it a lot more than i do now, i like to chew, so i seem to find better progress by eating protein than drinking, that being said its quicker and more convenient to have a shake than make a meal at times.
    Protein higher intake relates to preserving muscle mass during dieting and encouraging fat loss, combined with exercise, its a one two punch
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I use premier protein chocolate and vanilla whey protein shakes for smoothies and in plain shake form post workout and as evening snacks. I also use pure protein protein bars. Its quick and easy and tastes good. I also use lean animal and veggie protein sources but it is difficult to get enough protein in just consuming food and it really is very convenient after a workout to just drink and go on a walk or do yoga to keep down the lactic acid buildup post workouts. That's why I use it...
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    I'm not a fan but I am always coming up short on my calories, my protein, and my carbs so I have started adding a scoop of vanilla protein powder to a cup of OJ. (Tastes like Orange Julius) and this brings be up 300 calories without adding fat since I am always going over on my fat and its set to 30%.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I have been using the Muscletech and have had no issues. I just started with the shakes a couple weeks ago and haven't tried anything else yet so will take suggestions as well.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    For me it's convenience: A high-Quality source of protein in a meal that's made and ingested in like 2 minutes total... Compared to how long it takes me to make and eat eggs or something, it's a no-brainer.

The only thing I like to say about protein powder is do NOT get a cheap one, or you're often wasting your money. High-Quality whey isolates (at least 90% protein, mine is 95%) are much better for you than cheap whey concentrates. They also usually taste better and are often better-digested by most people.
  • James_1954
    James_1954 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Am I mistaken or is Muscletech a protein not for the every day person.

I personally use ON, but only when I need a protein boost.

I don't think there's anything special about it. A few years ago, my nutritionist recommended the use of whey protein powder to me. I first tried the Jillian Michaels brand, and thought it tasted pretty bad. Then I tried the Muscletech brand (the chocolate), and liked it pretty well. They make vanilla too, but I've never tried it. Once I find myself a rut that seems to work, I stay in it.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

I don't use mine often, but sometimes I just don't want to eat anymore, so a protein shake is easy and quick.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I use it when I'm having a hard time hitting my protein goals through food alone. I use BSN Syntha Six in the vanilla ice cream flavor. My gf researches all this stuff and recommended the brand based on her research and I can vouch for the taste being excellent (in general, not even just "good enough for a protein powder"). It's especially good mixed with coconut milk.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I live in a small rural town with few shopping venues (HEB and WalMart). They both carry EAS protein powder products. Does anyone use this product?

If I have to, I will travel to the "big city" to get what I need, but would rather save the 1.5 hr drive.