Anyone with experience of varicose vein surgery?

Options
Hi

I have two varicose veins on the same leg which I have looked into getting surgically removed. I am living in Thailand and have some insurance coverage but would need to pay around 650 pounds towards the procedure. I was wondering if anyone felt that a) exercise made their varicose veins worse (this maybe just my vivid imagination) and also b) if people who have had their veins removed found that they got new varicose veins after having the surgery.

With Thanks

Namkeng

Replies

• missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I have had them removed more than once, if you are prone to them theres a good chance they will come back, I didnt notice whether they got worse or more visible with exercise or weight loss... I have had them since I was 15 and 20 yrs later and 2 surgeries and several saline procedures later I've just grown to love them, they are a part of me.. best wishes on your surgery
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have two varicose veins on the same leg which I have looked into getting surgically removed. I am living in Thailand and have some insurance coverage but would need to pay around 650 pounds towards the procedure. I was wondering if anyone felt that a) exercise made their varicose veins worse (this maybe just my vivid imagination) and also b) if people who have had their veins removed found that they got new varicose veins after having the surgery.

With Thanks

Namkeng

I have minor ones and had fluid retention in my lower legs. Leg exercises helped me remove the swelling and redness. Exersice / weight loss can only help not hurt this condition (I have this on personal experience and medical advice). Search it on WebMD for more info, among other sites.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Believe the previous posters are correct...that exercise would normally make it better, & that they would probably come back. There's no medical reason to have them removed, unless they are causing you discomfort. But I love the other poster's suggestion to just "embrace them." :-) I've gotten more as I've gotten older, but they don't hurt, so no big deal. Know someone that had the procedure, a pretty tough guy, & he said it was pretty painful to have done & recovery. I have to wonder too if it isn't bad for your leg to have reduced circulation in the area they are removed from.