Workouts and hair

Options

Replies

• babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    when you shower, just rinse it with hot water, and then use a conditioner for 'damaged' or 'dry' hair. Only use shampoo a few times a week

Hairstylist here! I would advise against hot water, as it can exacerbate the dryness problem. Warm/lukewarm would be better. :wink: .
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I have long hair and usually end up washing about twice a day - I use a mix btwn herbal essence (for color treated hair), Head and shoulders, and No Brand (from Sally's) "Paul Mitchell Tea Tree" Shampoo and Conditioner. Not at the same time lol I use Head and Shoulders at least twice a week. I also use either Organix Argon Oil or Fekkai gloss drops (mostly cause I have like 3 trial size tubes from when I worked at Bath and Body works) These help keep some moisture in the ends of my hair with all the washing - if I don't wash every day then my scalp is really greasy. I will say that doing a cold rinse at the end and a deep conditioning at least weekly with something like Aussie 3 min miracle helps a lot too.

I'm just curious... why do you wash your hair twice a day?
  • kellijauch
    kellijauch Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have super long, super thick hair. When I workout it can get pretty sweaty at times (running especially), but I only wash my hair every other day. When I shower, I just run hot water and my fingers through it, then keep it up until the nest time I wash it. It keeps your hair healthy, and once it gets used to only being washed every other day it won't look greasy or anything.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair every single day whether I work out or not, and I have for years and years. I also blow-dry my hair almost every day. Sometimes I skip on the weekend. I use a moisturizing shampoo for color-treated hair (which mine is) and condition EVERY SINGLE time. I use a heavy mask about 2 times a week and a shine product when I style it. My hair is dry but is very shiny and healthy. I work for a spa, and the stylists here even comment on it. :bigsmile:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I'll jump on the gross band wagon too - I shower and wash my hair every morning before work. I workout in the evening....and just let my hair dry naturally... sweat and all :blushing:
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Every other day sulfate-free shampoo, good conditioner, put it back in a tail for workouts.
  • seed_of_wonder
    seed_of_wonder Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    use hair products without sulfates, it makes it feel sooo much better.
    im stuck on organix
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Same problem here - I brush bicarbonate of soda thorugh it it in the mornings, it does the same job as dry shampoo.
    Still doesn't feel fresh but it takes the greasy look away.

Hate the feeling of dirty hair though :sad:
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I just shaved my head for a charity event, BUT I had extremely long, thick hair before. I HAVE to wash my hair when I sweat, it just makes me feel icky if I don't. I use a sulfate-free non lathering 'shampoo'/cleansing conditioner and my hair has no problems with dryness. Deva curl is my favorite :) for now it doesn't matter much though :D

Totally off topic but you are an extremely nice person for having shaved your head. Very brave.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    i make sure i only shower once a day max, and on my off days i really dont often take a shower. i do hop in the tub but keep my hair out if it. at the gym i shampoo my dirty head rinse and then i put in a leave in in condiotioner on, before towel drying and wide tooth combing.. i only Blowdry on special occasions. hope some of that helps
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    KERATIN.

I use TREsemme Keratin Smooth shampoo & conditioner. Huge bottle for like 4 bucks. I too wash my hair daily, and I have a TON of it.
  • thehka
    thehka Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    my hair is down to my butt and i workout everyother day, just like when i shower. i put on a high, tight ponytail and i pile on the hairspray to keep flyaways at bay while i run. this gives me no choice but to shower afterwards because i hate looking like a tomato and smelling like a can of hairspray lol i use mane n tail for both shampoo and conditioner :)
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    One thing I recommend to anyone is coconut oil. I absolutely love it. I have long, straight hair. Normal conditioners are fine, but when I have the time, I warm up some coconut oil until it's liquid form (doesn't take much) and brush it into my hair and then braid it for an hour or two. Then wash it as you normally would, condition it again, and it's soft and shiny for days.
  • FitSuga
    FitSuga Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Co-wash. It's basically washing with conditioner only. I co-wash about 3-4 times a week but I shower everyday of course. If I feel like it's necessary I'll just use a little dry shampoo. I use one by Suave ( smells kind of like pineapple). There is a period of your hair getting used to it though especially if you shampoo everyday because your hair is producing more oil to compensate for all the shampoo stripping it of it's natural oils. Rinse your conditioner with cool water. It will be shiner and not dry out as much.
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    I have the same problem. I got some Miracle 10 leave in conditioner w/ keratin and it seems to be helping alot! Good luck:smile:
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I just shaved my head for a charity event, BUT I had extremely long, thick hair before. I HAVE to wash my hair when I sweat, it just makes me feel icky if I don't. I use a sulfate-free non lathering 'shampoo'/cleansing conditioner and my hair has no problems with dryness. Deva curl is my favorite :) for now it doesn't matter much though :D

Totally off topic but you are an extremely nice person for having shaved your head. Very brave.

I agree. I don't think I could be that brave!
  • LiziAB
    LiziAB Posts: 55
    Options
    There are several brands, CVS has its own brand, Tre semme also has, but for me the best one is "Got 2 be Rockin it" dry shampoo by Schwarzkopf. It comes in a silver can. You can find it at CVS, Walmart or Walgreens.
    You can also use corn starch or baby powder with cornstarch, but this is mostly for lighter hair.
  • Jarice12
    Jarice12 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    when you shower, just rinse it with hot water, and then use a conditioner for 'damaged' or 'dry' hair. Only use shampoo a few times a week

This. You should definitely not be using shampoo every day. That is what's causing your hair to be dry and brittle. Cut the shampoo back to about 3 times a week and co-wash (wash with conditioner) on the other days.
    ~licensed cosmetologist
  • leilanieann
    leilanieann Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a hair-o-holic :)
    My husband and I run 3 to 4 days a week outside weather permitting, and lift at the gym 2 or 3 days a week. It is always extremely warm at the gym. I wash my hair every other day and I wash my hair with WEN(cleansing conditioner) every other shampoo. WEN is expensive but you can use less then the directions say (by as much as half) and use it every other wash and this helps with the expense. You can even wash your hair everyday with the WEN, I choose not to cuz it can build up at times. :love:
  • Kmanouchehri90
    Kmanouchehri90 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

I agree. I don't think I could be that brave!

Aw thanks ladies! I find myself missing it sometimes but it was so worth it! And it is already hitting the 80's here and it is much cooler with not a lot of hair. I just can't wait until I have a little bit more to give it some style because it is very militaristic for the time being.