To Draw or to Holster?

Options
ArtGeek22
ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
I am doing a paper on Firearms and would love people to share their ideas/thoughts about them. Such as "Did you have firearms around growing up?" "How did you benefit or not benefit you?" "What is the appeal of firearms?" " What are your views of the 2nd Amendment?" and so forth. I want to write a high quality paper with many different quotes and ideas from your average American. It would really help a bunch! So thanks to anyone who replies :flowerforyou:

(P.S please be respectful of everyone's opinions as I know this could get somewhat controversial)

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Grew up around guns, my dad was a hunter so I knew how to shoot and they were always around on outdoor activities. I like guns, I don't spend a lot of time thinking about them, but they are a part of life. It's just a sport to me.

I think it's important to allow people to arm themselves. I think in the U.S. it's impossible to get rid of guns at this point, nor do I think it would be a good idea to even try.

There are no easy answers to the gun problem in this country - the genie is out of the bottle not only here but worldwide. We have far too much gun violence but it's not entirely about the guns. No easy answers.

Good luck with your paper. That's a subject I wouldn't like to tackle.

• ArtGeek22
    Options
    Thanks and will need the luck! Anyone else????
  • ArtGeek22
    Options
    Bump..... still need some more statements :smile:
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I wasn't raised around guns, and wasn't exposed to them until I was about 13 and my brother joined the Army. Afterwards, he had a rifle in his room, and showed me how to load it and fire it if someone broke in. But he drilled into me the seriousness of firearms, and to always respect them and never play with them.

As an adult, I joined the military myself and received firearms training. I've owned guns ever since. I stick to handguns for home defense and concealed carry. I'm a single woman who lives alone, and I like the security of having weapons if needed. I also have a permit to concealed carry. There are no children in my house, and no children ever visit, so I keep my guns loaded and ready to go.

I agree with the previous poster that we can't go back - I don't think this country will ever outright outlaw handguns, and I honestly don't think it would make much difference anyway. However, I do think that the requirements to buy and own a gun should be stricter. I'd like to see a minimum amount of required training from a licensed, certified instructor, and a minimum qualification score on a shooting range. I think people should have to prove that they can handle their weapons safely. And stricter sanctions for those people who fail to keep their guns safe and allow them to fall into the wrong hands.

I'm confident with my guns because I've been trained to use them and have many hours of practice on the shooting range. I'm a responsible gun owner, and it chaps my *kitten* that a few morons are making us look bad.

Good luck with your research!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Do you only want comments from Americans?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I am doing a paper on Firearms and would love people to share their ideas/thoughts about them. Such as "Did you have firearms around growing up?" "How did you benefit or not benefit you?" "What is the appeal of firearms?" " What are your views of the 2nd Amendment?" and so forth. I want to write a high quality paper with many different quotes and ideas from your average American. It would really help a bunch! So thanks to anyone who replies :flowerforyou:

(P.S please be respectful of everyone's opinions as I know this could get somewhat controversial)

I'm not reading the other responses so I can just focus on answering your question. :flowerforyou:

I don't know if I qualify as the "average American citizen" though. I've been a police officer for 8 years, so I guess that adds bias to my personal opinion on guns.

My Dad had guns in the house, a shotgun and a rifle. I never used them, never really wanted to. But, I didn't care that they were there, either. He used to go hunting when he was younger, so that's why he had them. The safety was kept on, and they were nearby his bed so "just in case" things wouldn't turn out bad.

Being an officer and knowing what I know about criminals, I don't leave home without either mine or my husband's handgun (he's an officer too). Criminals don't give one crapola about gun laws and such, but they are certainly less likely to succeed at their crimes if the would be victims are able to defend themselves. Some of the crap heads I've taken to jail have said things such as "I would never try to rob someone I know has a gun" or "I would never try to break in to a house if I know they have guns." In other words, they prey on people who can't defend themselves! Banning guns will ONLY disarm law-abiding citizens. Criminals WILL ALWAYS HAVE ACCESS TO GUNS, gun laws or not. Cocaine is illegal, but the crackheads always manage to get it...same with guns. Only difference is, if you take away the guns of the people who would not commit crimes with them, you set them up to be victims because the criminals know better that to go after people who could defend themselves...and without a gun, you're an easy target for someone who thinks like that. And yes, they DO think like that.

I support the Constitution in its entirety and the amendments. The right to bear arms "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED." In other words, all those gun bans are unconstitutional as any law that takes away my right to bear this particular kind of arm infringes on that right. Period. Lawmakers must not understand what "infringed" means. Well regulated militia IS NOT THE SAME THING as the military. Again, lawmakers need to learn the difference. They need to study history. If they did, they would see and understand that the founding fathers were talking about regular citizens, not the Army. Also, studying history you learn that the amendment was written to protect the American people from a tyrannical government as they had under British rule.

I could go on and on about this subject...but instead of writing a book, I will just say as a police officer, I am an Oath Keeper. I will not enforce a law that violates the Constitution. I will never infringe on anyone's rights, including the right to bear arms.

MOLON LABE.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    k6KMWAv.gif
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    My mom couldn't stand the thought of firearms in our home, she hates guns. This was to the point I couldn't even own a water pistol or super soaker growing up.

Also I am so disappointed this thread isn't about drawing.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I grew up with an avid hunter and weapons collector, so there were a variety of guns, bows, and knives in our house. I can safely load, fire, and clean just about any rifle or handgun. I can also use a crossbow with a reasonable amount of accuracy. That said, I don't own any. I really don't see a need -- as I don't hunt or really feel like I need any type of weapons for protection. Plus I have a 3 year old -- so keeping any without a gun safe (which I have no room for) seems irresponsible.

As to the 2nd amendment --- I would classify myself as a strong supporter, but I am also a supporter in the greater good -- I do feel like certain weapons and ammunition should be either banned or harder to get.
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options

I'm not reading the other responses so I can just focus on answering your question. :flowerforyou:

I don't know if I qualify as the "average American citizen" though. I've been a police officer for 8 years, so I guess that adds bias to my personal opinion on guns.

My Dad had guns in the house, a shotgun and a rifle. I never used them, never really wanted to. But, I didn't care that they were there, either. He used to go hunting when he was younger, so that's why he had them. The safety was kept on, and they were nearby his bed so "just in case" things wouldn't turn out bad.

Being an officer and knowing what I know about criminals, I don't leave home without either mine or my husband's handgun (he's an officer too). Criminals don't give one crapola about gun laws and such, but they are certainly less likely to succeed at their crimes if the would be victims are able to defend themselves. Some of the crap heads I've taken to jail have said things such as "I would never try to rob someone I know has a gun" or "I would never try to break in to a house if I know they have guns." In other words, they prey on people who can't defend themselves! Banning guns will ONLY disarm law-abiding citizens. Criminals WILL ALWAYS HAVE ACCESS TO GUNS, gun laws or not. Cocaine is illegal, but the crackheads always manage to get it...same with guns. Only difference is, if you take away the guns of the people who would not commit crimes with them, you set them up to be victims because the criminals know better that to go after people who could defend themselves...and without a gun, you're an easy target for someone who thinks like that. And yes, they DO think like that.

I support the Constitution in its entirety and the amendments. The right to bear arms "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED." In other words, all those gun bans are unconstitutional as any law that takes away my right to bear this particular kind of arm infringes on that right. Period. Lawmakers must not understand what "infringed" means. Well regulated militia IS NOT THE SAME THING as the military. Again, lawmakers need to learn the difference. They need to study history. If they did, they would see and understand that the founding fathers were talking about regular citizens, not the Army. Also, studying history you learn that the amendment was written to protect the American people from a tyrannical government as they had under British rule.

I could go on and on about this subject...but instead of writing a book, I will just say as a police officer, I am an Oath Keeper. I will not enforce a law that violates the Constitution. I will never infringe on anyone's rights, including the right to bear arms.

MOLON LABE.

Fantastic response, I agree 100%.

I grew up around guns, my father and brothers hunt. The were of benefit to us because we used them to get something to eat:) My father always stressed to my brothers (because I don't hunt) that hunting isn't for sport or to just go kill things it was for us to get food, period.
  • goodenough13
    Options
    OOOoooh Fun Question.

Growing up we only had a bb gun in the house. Anything stronger than that was a bit scary. As I got older I didn't like guns. I thought police and military were the only people that should have them. I had a friend that had guns and I even got to shoot them a few times when I 18-19. I thought it was fun but very intimidating. My viewpoint started to shift at that point and I began to feel it was okay for people to own them but I still didn't see the point in the average citizen carrying one.

Then 2 things happened. I went to school for law enforcement and I started dating my boyfriend. He has his conceal and carry and pretty much always has his sidearm on him. I purchased my Glock shortly after we started dating. I keep it and a loaded magazine locked in my nightstand for protection. I don't carry yet, but it's something I'm considering doing.

After all these shootings like Sandy Hook and The Dark Knight shooter incident I feel stronger towards allowing non-criminal citizens to purchase and carry firearms. Taking away the public's right to bear arms isn't going to stop things like this from happening in the future. The criminals will still have access to guns. They obtain them illegally now, how is taking away the law abiding citizens' rights away going to prevent that? If more citizens carried, some of these incidents could be stopped in their tracks.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options

I grew up around guns, my father, brother, grandfathers and uncles all hunted. I can't say that the guns benefited me or didn't benefit me, but I do have fond memories of hunting with friends and family. Of course I have equally fond memories of fishing with friends and family. I was taught early to respect guns. I was taught how to handle guns safely and to treat every gun I handle as if it were loaded. I think the act of hunting helped teach me to respect what guns are capable of. I own several guns, a .357 revolver, a .22 rifle, a 30-30 rifle, a 20 gauge single shot, a 16 gauge double barrel and 12 gauge pump. I support the 2nd Amendment, but also think that it should be updated. I don't believe any citizen needs an assault rifle or armor piercing ammunition. I agree with the current push to close the loopholes that allow gun sales at shows and think that stricter background checks are necessary. I don't think it will solve the problem of all the illegal guns on the street and I don't know what will.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Okay. I guess that's a resounding yes.
  • knittinlady
    knittinlady Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I didn't grow up around guns, but since I got married I've been around them a lot. My kids are growing up around guns. We feel they are safer if they know how to defend themselves in the unlikely event that my husband or I aren't around to do so. We don't allow toy guns of any kind in our house; we believe guns are tools, not toys, and they demand respect. We teach our children gun safety, and only allow them to practice with our supervision.

I, personally, really enjoy shooting, and I'm a pretty fair shot if I do say so. I've never had to defend myself, but I believe I could if the need arose. I used to carry concealed, but we moved and I haven't gotten my new permit yet, so I don't now. I'm working on that, though.

The second amendment was put in place to protect the rights of citizens to defend themselves, against anyone who would do them harm. I'm a big supporter of self-defense. When seconds count, the police are only minutes away...
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    In my household we didn't have any firearms, the first time I ever fired ANYTHING was a bb gun at the state fair. But i still thought guns were cool.

I'm in the military now and as such i've shot all kinds of sexy weapons. I'm also a safety officer at my College's pistol club and we offer all sorts of guns for people to try out.

All of that being said however, I believe people can have hand guns and rifles for hunting, I however, do not think that people need access to assault weapons. Like what is the point of a normal Joe owning an AR-15 or M4?
  • AliandTrev
    AliandTrev Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was leary of guns until I learned how they worked and how to handle them properly. My dad was shot which instilled that fear in me it wasn't until after learning about and handling them that I was comfortable with them. My husband has his conceal carry permit and carries daily. He is often alone and in some shady areas when working and luckily has never had a reason to have it on him yet but I feel much better knowing that he has it if the need was to arise. A few years ago I got a call from him not 15 minutes after he had left our home saying that he was in the gas station by our house and while he was standing at the counter a man walked in pushed him aside and tried to rob the place, he was able to stop the man because he did have his firearm on him. I couldn't have been more happy and proud that he does carry than that moment. I agree with what others have said I do think there needs to be stricter laws on who can purchase/carry firearms but trying to take the from everyone is not the answer. Criminals are just that criminals they do not follow laws as it is so creating more gun laws is not going to stop them from doing terrible things but having armed citizens that are responsible about it can definitely make a difference in how many crimes are stopped.

Assault weapons are a different story no private citizen in my opinion has a need to have that.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    The point of an AR-15 will make itself apparent as soon as you shoot one. Find a friend who has one and get them to let you try it at a range. Then you 'll get it. :happy:

OP, we did not have guns in our home growing up. Neither of my parents came from families with firearm ownership. My first exposure to firearms was when a boyfriend I had showed me how to use a rifle on his farm. His dad gave me an old .22 rifle for my own, and I got quite good with it.
    Fast forward to my getting married (to someone else) and having a child. While she was growing up we didn't have guns in the house (lots of travel as a military family, different laws and the child had what turned out to be bipolar disorder that showed up very early in her childhood). After the child was diagnosed and got appropriate treatment she grew up just fine, graduated high school with honors and graduated college with a double major. Now we have lots of guns - handguns, rifles, etc. We really enjoy going to the range to target shoot, as well as hunting.
    My approach to the Second Amendment is not that of absolutism. There are people who should not be allowed to own firearms. Those who have been convicted of violent crimes should not own guns. The issue of the mentally ill owning firearms is far murkier territory. Every mental illness is different, and every case of the same disorder varies too much for generalizations to be meaningful. Many mental illnesses are time limited. Someone with a severe case of clinical depression may be so ill they want to die and are a danger to him/herself and require involuntary hospitalization. At that point such a person should be prohibited from firearm ownership. Now, that won't last forever. They will get better. Should that person, once healthy again, still be prohibited from firearms ownership? Under the law as it now stands, they are prohibited FOREVER. As long as the law refuses to allow for a reasonable road back to firearm ownership for those who have gotten better it may well act to prevent some from seeking treatment they need at the time because of the cost in the long run. I've seen three separate cases of it among those I know. One of those cases involved a person who refused to get treatment for a crippling mental illness because they (rightfully) feared it would mean the loss of family heirloom firearms.
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Interesting question. My grandfather and uncles all own several guns each, which they keep locked in gun safes in their houses. I live in the South, in kind of a rural town, and hunting is a major thing here. My family members always eat what they kill, but it also benefits them in that hunting is sort of a family bonding activity. Hunting is a way to go out in nature and destress from everyday activities.

As for current gun laws and the Second Amendment, I think there should be some stricter gun controls. I think there should be stricter regulations regarding the gun sales, such as making it necessary for the buyer to take a gun safety course before buying a gun.

I also think a large part of the problem contributing to the high-profile school and public shootings is the failure of our mental health system. Clearly, many of these individuals needed help, and for some reason couldn't or didn't get it.
  • ArtGeek22
    Options

It would be great to have some people's opinion from others countries too! :smile:
  • ArtGeek22
    Options
    Thank you so much to everyone who has replied so far! All the opinions are very interesting and helpful :smile: