New and insulin resistant.. looking for support

Options
Hi!!

Im new to MFP and I am looking for people who can give me any tips on how to lose weight while being insulin resistant.

Im also looking for some great recipe ideas too.

Having this sickness really takes the flavor out of food.

Thanks!!

Replies

• tadlana
    tadlana Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi I was just diagnosed today, been doing some internet research, but I am also looking for others dealing with it and their diets.
  • AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    Options
    I have type 1 diabetes, which is quite a bit different than type 2 / prediabetes when it comes to diet (since I can just take insulin for whatever I want) but I think good nutrition applies to both. What I suggest is looking at a lot of low-carb options -- protein and veggies are great places to get nutrients that won't require your pancreas to shove out tons of insulin. It'll also keep you full so you won't eat as much, and hopefully your body will start to burn what it already has. Personally I'm Paleo and I know a lot of people have had great luck on their diet. In fact, diabetes and insulin resistance is one of the most talked about examples of why people become Paleo! I've lost 7 lbs and dropped my A1C by a full percent in just 3 months! It's pretty amazing, and I have insulin resistant qualities as well because I'm overweight (206 lbs.). Anyway, just something to think about. I'm happy to answer any diabetes questions... I've had it for 19 years, write about it professionally and I'm in school to be a diabetes educator!