how accurate are treadmill calorie counters

Options
i weigh 145 pds, briskly walk at 3.7 with a 14inclind, when finished I am saturated with sweat and I can feel it in backs of thighs and buttocks, treadmill says I burn roughly 600, is that possible, O yea my HR sits about 120, normal resting for me about 55

Replies

• ChristinaK69
    Options
    I weigh 150 and my resting heart rate is 56. I did 5 miles running at 12 minute mile pace on the treadmill for about 600 calories but my treadmill said 1100. I use a HRM not attached to the treadmill and I was on 3% incline. Generally if I don't have a HRM I will calculate 100 calories per mile whether I run or walk
  • joyjay4fun
    joyjay4fun Posts: 160
    Options
    Ive been told if its calibrated regularly and you enter in your weight and info it should be fairly accurate.Curious what others say too.
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    NOT accurate!

We have brand new equipment where I work, I got on it Monday with my HRM on and it said I burned almost double. I trust my HRM more than that. It was for a HIIT session with sprints/brisk walking.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    not accurate at all.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    i weigh 145 pds, briskly walk at 3.7 with a 14inclind, when finished I am saturated with sweat and I can feel it in backs of thighs and buttocks, treadmill says I burn roughly 600, is that possible, O yea my HR sits about 120, normal resting for me about 55

For walking, commercial treadmills give pretty accurate calorie estimates, but ONLY if you do not hold on to the handrails. If you hold on to the handrails, you offset a lot of the work--but there is no way to tell by how much, so the treadmill calorie number is no longer accurate.

If you do that workload without holding on and without change for a full 60 min, the calorie burn would be 725.

As a comparison--If you can do that workout without holding on, then you should also have the fitness level to run at 6 mph for an hour.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    TBH, most of the readings from those machines are poor IMH, If I believed them, I muist be a Zombie, as I can run while having no pulse!

In general, I'd have the calories bunred at the least.