How has MFP changed your life?

Options
Aside from the obvious (weight loss) how has MFP changed your life?

MFP has definitely changed my life. I'm in my early 20s and while I've always been a relatively healthy eater, I've also been a BIG drinker. Since tracking with MFP, I drink so much less than I used to and feel so much better for it. I also make sure I earn my drinks now by doing lots of exercise.

It has also taught me about portion control, something I've never had a grasp on until now and that eating fat is good for me (in the past I always thought a low fat diet = weight loss)

Tell me your stories!

Replies

• herebeeri
    herebeeri Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's made me enjoy my food a lot more especially when I have treats. Last night I made 20g of chocolate last over an hour because I was really savouring it and taking the time to enjoy it.

On the downside though it has made me quite obsessive about calories, food and exercise. I think about it far too often a d it can be quite distracting and frustrating,
  • ChristineJJohnstone
    Options
    I can relate to this post and have only been doing MFP for a few weeks but definitely feel better and have lost weight etc. Can also relate to being more aware of portion control but also the amount of calories in things almost shocks me sometimes. I used to think I was doing alright (well doing very well actually!) if I had say a piece of quiche and a great big plate full of rice (on the assumption that there can' be many claories in rice - and I love rice!). Heck how wrong can you be - weighed my portions and it was coming in at around 600 odds simply for the boiled rice!

I'm also starting to get angry now at manufacturer's labelling - sometimes they state calories by the 100g, sometimes by the 'half a pack', sometimes by an 'average portion (whatever that is!) - very annoying (especially when you have to put reading glasses on while shopping just to see the calorific content!). Maybe I shouldn't say this online but there's really nothing that you can eat out of Starbucks which comes in less at less than a 350 calorie rating and that's before you even look at a latte (although I have had some strange looks in my local Starbucks with scanning items!).

I guess over the weeks with using MFP, I've learnt a lot about portion control, calories and the likes which now kind of explains why I didn't seem to lose a lot of weight before when I thought I should have been. Once I'm really into it, gonna start looking at the nutrient side of things - just feel that that has a large part to play in 'healthy eating' too (and I'm sure I'm losing out somewhere in that).
  • LaurenLouG
    LaurenLouG Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Haha, yep. Starbucks is a rarity for me now and so is sushi, I never realised how calorific sushi was until I started tracking.

I agree with the obsession side of things, but I'm a happier, healthier version of myself so I feel it's all worthwhile.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    I really think about my food choices and that food is fuel. I also understand now that I can keep my blood pressure under control with diet and exercise, lowering sodium and increasing potassium.

I have no fear of regaining the weight that's I've lost. I've got this down. No more yo-yo-ing for me.

And it's given me a wonderful circle of friends who value good health and fitness just as I do. Our gluttonous, sedentary society makes me feel out of step. My MFP friends reassure me that that's OK.
  • marc_s_johnson
    marc_s_johnson Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Its made me obsessive and educated about how my body works.

Its a good tool but is taking over, not sure how long it is going to be a good thing for.