Panera diet!

Options
2»

Replies

• peace_frog21
    peace_frog21 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I love panera. I used to go there almost every day on my lunch break. I attribute their healthy options to making a big difference in my first 50lbs of weightloss. I spent a lot of money but it was worth it. And honestly as expensive as some fast food is getting, there's not much of a difference. I only derailed a little when they had Mac n cheese on the menu during winter :-)
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    All you haters, leave the OP alone.....for me this is great info -- One who lives out of her suitcase for work and is rarely, if ever, at home.

You are obviously a special case. I don't think OP lives out of their suitcase though. People are just saying not to live off of fast food. (and whether you like it or not, Panera is fast food)
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I so do not get this mentality.

It is like the women at work who bring frozen meals EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

Do I eat Subway, Panera, and frozen meals? Sure, on occasion.

But eating that way does not teach you skills about sustaining this lifestyle. You don't learn how to shop for healthy food. You don't learn how to prepare prepare healthy foods. You don't learn what foods contain x amount if calories or which macros. All that teaches you is to choose between calorie options.

I'm stunned when I have 50 plus year old women asking me if diet cupcakes or frozen yogurt are ok to eat, then turning around and refusing my offer to share my nuts because they are "too fattening."

SO SPOT ON ^^^^
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Panera is one of my favs and has great healthy options. However, if you check out their nutrition listings, even their healthy items are very high in sodium and higher than you would think in fat. Their low cal chicken noodle soup is only 80-90 calories but almost half my daily allowance in sodium...its not a good balance.

Eating at Panera and Subway is a good choice if you do lunch out every day (and are careful with your selections), but having breakfast and dinner there as well does sound like a bit much...a bit much money, a bit much salt and a bit too much temptation (do they have to offer you something from the bakery every time you order????).

However, if that works for you, who are we to judge? I think most people here would tell you that you would have better results eating more well-rounded home cooked meals, but to each his own.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    http://www.panerabread.com/nc/slider1/hiddenmenu.php

There's the link. The carbs and protein are good, but as pointed out Sodium is definitely too high to make it your lifestyle. Unless you are going from three mc donald's meals a day, then I guess it would be a decent lifestyle change.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    No.

Make food at home, save money, save sodium, and keep unnecessary preservatives out of your diet.
    You can make food at home that is far more satisfying than Panera and Subway...

I'm pretty sure that most if not all of the things at Panera are organic...I could be wrong on that though I guess...

I'm pretty sure none of it is organic - pr if it is, its not at the CT or NH ones I've been too. Plus if it were organic, they're advertise the crap out of it and it'd be more expensive.

That is absolutely correct. Organic sells...it would NEVER be a secret. I have never seen anything organic come from Panera. Chipotle on the other hand... is organic and magical. :love:

From my understanding, all their food is not organic but they do use a bit of organic items in the menu.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I imagine that the OP was exaggerating when they said they were going to eat at Panera morning and night. Why is everyone so serious! I'll be sure to check out the hidden menu next time I go to Panera. But it doesn't matter how healthy I order, I'm still going to end up eating all of the left over Big Kid's grilled cheese sandwiches that my kids don't finish. Why can't the adult grilled cheese have bacon on it too!
  • cwashkowiak
    cwashkowiak Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, I had no idea =)
  • pohlcm08
    pohlcm08 Posts: 61
    Options
    http://foodbabe.com/2012/04/16/panera-bread-the-healthiest-fast-food/

Read this article. Panera's menu is really not anything to get very excited about, their food has MSG and GMOs among other things that shouldn't be consumed regularly.
    But as a treat, I do love Panera! So I was pretty sad when I read all that yesterday.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I used to have it as a treat... until they changed the french onion soup. I would always get that and a bacon turkey bravo. But they changed the soup and it is gross and while I liked their turkey sandwiches and I'm sure the salads are good I can get just as good or better for cheaper many other places (including my own kitchen).
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I agree with the majority here, while it is a healthy option, it should not be a normal go to for the simple facts already given:

1) I couldn't afford it twice a day 5 days a week. More power to you if you are able. One day I hope I can say I could afford to, but still wouldn't. Preparing food at home is by far cheaper
    2) food you prepare is going to be more healthy because it is fresh and you knowm beyond a doubt, what you put into making it. You can accurately measure your ingredients and know your totals.
    3) Preparing food yourself is committing to your change. It's learning how to prepare meals, it's experimenting in new ideas, and it's committing to your own success. If Panera runs out of fat Free dressing, you have to have that salad dry or decide on another dressing that may not be the fat free you would prefer...

then what decision do you make? Do you decide to dive off the wagon and go balls to the wall for the meal? Some people would, I'm not saying the OP specifically would, but there are some people who would allow this very idea to derail the remainder of their day...

I love Panera. Definately not saying never eat there. I am just saying that I agree there is a lot more value and lesson to be found in taking the time to prepare some egg beaters and a few strips of turkey bacon the night before and reheat when you arive at work as your breakfast. A Large container of Southwestern style Egg Beaters is $4.21; this one container will last me over a week and I have them at least 5 days per week, often everyday. I get 3lbs of Oscar Meyer turkey bacon for $10 at Sam's and that will last me over a month if my family leaves all 3 lbs to me, So figure if I use 3 containers of Egg Beaters and all 3 lbs of bacon in one month's time, breakfast for A FULL MONTH costs me less than $30... for the MONTH.

$1 per day or $5+?

Plus I know for certain that I use 3 tbs of Egg Beaters, there is no guessing as to whether or not the food preparation required unknown substitues..
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    No.

Make food at home, save money, save sodium, and keep unnecessary preservatives out of your diet.
    You can make food at home that is far more satisfying than Panera and Subway...

I'm pretty sure that most if not all of the things at Panera are organic...I could be wrong on that though I guess...
    wrong.
  • princesstweeble
    princesstweeble Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that we have quite a few organic items on our menu because I work there.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I love Panera for lunch. It makes a good after-workout lunch because there are some things that are high in protein, and low in calories and fat. I loooove their grilled chicken caesar salad (with dressing ON THE SIDE lol) and their cheddar broccoli soup is good when I can afford the fat and sodium. Otherwise it's garden vegetable with pesto :love:

That being said, I don't think I could afford to/want to eat it as a diet. It's only teaching you that you can go and get food rather than make a healthy, wholesome meal at home, yourself, cheaper :)
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Panera food tastes horrible to me personally. I agree with whoever said making your own food is part of the process of learning how to take better care of yourself. If your job doesn't require constant travel or late nights, try making those items at home.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump