Squats

Options
Any ladies do squats on here? How many sets and reps would you suggest a day to make a difference? And I heard crunches are pointless
...anyone do planks?

Replies

• KatManx
    KatManx Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I incorporate around 50 squats into my routine, but this is along with side squats, squats with an ankle touch and other thigh/leg related exercises (can you guess i have a problem with my thunder thighs? lol)
    With regards to crunches, i do 100, but again along with other ab related exercises.

K
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Any ladies do squats on here? How many sets and reps would you suggest a day to make a difference? And I heard crunches are pointless
    ...anyone do planks?

Do you mean weighted squats, or bodyweight squats?
  • Kristina661
    Kristina661 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    ...anyone do planks?

Do you mean weighted squats, or bodyweight squats?

general squats...no weights
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I do 2 warm up sets then 3 or 4 'working' sets with a heavy weight.

I occassionally do planks, but heavy squats and Deads are are great for your core.
  • xxanishxx
    xxanishxx Posts: 212
    Options
    girls squatting wouldwife/10
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I do Weighted squats as part of SL 5x5. Planks are great, but don't do crunches unless you're talking about the chocolate Crunch bar, lol. In week 4 of SL and not sure of PB but doing about 110lbs right now.

Cheers.

Sorry, yes Barbell squats with the oly bar
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Currently none... because I've temporarily screwed up my legs, but I was doing 3x12 squats with 20kg and I'm planning to start 5x5 weighted squats after my legs heal.
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I do squats with weights, you'd have to do loads unweighted to make a major difference I'd have thought?

I do 3 or 4 sets of 8 with 50kg (although I started with about 10kg) and have noticed a BIG difference in lower body!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    girls squatting wouldwife/10

This.

But only if they go down to parallel and use a barbell (or are doing goblet squats)
  • SpecialSundae
    Options
    Why not try doing weighted squats? They're fantastic!
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    There are several of us doing this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/918243-30-day-squat-challenge - you can join whever you like!

There is also a '30-day-squat-challenge' Facebook page
  • v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Planks
    Side Planks
    Elevated Planks
    Planks on a Ball
    Walk your hands out to a plank and in from a plank

Crunches are good for building explosive ability to pull your torso to your legs ... not something most of us need or use in daily life. However, everyone can use a stronger core.

Start with bodyweight squats to learn proper form of thighs below parallel, then grab the barbell and up your weights.

I second the deadlift recommendation, though found out I am much more comfortable with a sumo deadlift variation due to my long torso.

2 to 3 sets of 8 to 15 reps (higher reps with lesser weight builds endurance, lower reps with higher weight builds muscle strength)

And then it is time to get into power exercises ... but start with weight training and core development first.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Crunches are not pointless. They help strengthen your core, but in regards to having visible abs then yes, they are pointless.

I Find weighted exercise ball sit ups to be effective, but hold the weight behind your head. V-ups are good too.

And properly doing barbell squats and dead lifts really hit the core.
  • marzoh
    marzoh Posts: 9
    Options
    Squats are FAB!!! and crunches do make a difference, they strengthen your core, people think they are useless because they can't see a six pack straight away, once your body fat is down you will be able to see the the difference!!! Squats make a huge difference to your thighs and bottom... i do around 3 sets of 50 in my routine, they kill but it's worth it!
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Squats; It depends on what your goals are.

. Side planks are great, add some weight to your planks.... Kettlebell turkish get ups and russian twists and windmills are great... movements that your body would normally do in a given day.

You might want to read this in the New York Times about crunches...

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/17/are-crunches-worth-the-effort/
  • Kristina661
    Kristina661 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

what kind of weights? like hand weights or does it have to be a barbel at the gym?
  • SpecialSundae
    Options

what kind of weights? like hand weights or does it have to be a barbel at the gym?

Little 5lb hand weights aren't going to do much good, but you can use dumbbells or kettlebells instead of a barbell.

You need to use progressively heavier weights though i.e. once you can complete your full sets (3x8, 5x5 or whatever reps you're doing) with a weight then move up to a slightly heavier one.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options

You can use dumbbells, if you like. I don't belong to a gym and haven't (yet) bought a weight bench, etc., but I grab a couple of dumbbells and do 3x 8-10. So far, I've progressed from 15 lb. to 25 lb. each in 3 weeks, so I'm getting there. Good luck!
  • laurajcrampton
    Options
    ...anyone do planks?

Why don't you try the 30 day Squat challenge? I'm doing it at the moment and on day 11. I did up to day 7 all as one set, but now I do 2 sets of 50 squats and then today will be +10. I think the idea is to try and do them all in one go... But some people do sets of 10 - whatever works best for you! As long as they are done properly, with a 90^ bend in the knee, with feet facing forwards and no heel raising. My thighs and bum hurt... So I think it might be doing something good! I'm going to do the same next month for another 30 days, but use a small weight in each hand with each squat (maybe just 1kg or something).

Day 1-50 squats
    Day 2-55 squats
    Day 3-60 squats
    Day 4-Rest
    Day 5-70 squats
    Day 6-75 squats
    Day 7-80 squats
    Day 8-Rest
    Day 9-100 squats
    Day 10-105 squats
    Day 11-110 squats
    Day 12-Rest
    Day 13-130 squats
    Day 14-135 squats
    Day 15- 140 squats
    Day 16-Rest
    Day 17-150 squats
    Day 18- 155 squats
    Day 19- 160 squats
    Day 20-Rest
    Day 21- 180 squats
    Day 22- 185 squats
    Day 23- 190 squats
    Day 24-Rest
    Day 25- 220 squats
    Day 26- 225 squats
    Day 27- 230 squats
    Day 28-Rest
    Day 29- 240 squats
    Day 30- 250 squats
  • Dani19711
    Dani19711 Posts: 33
    Options
    I do full ROM weighted squats. Works the whole body but especially glutes, like a charm! I also do crunches (full ROM, straight legs), planks and vacuums.

Forgot the set/reps thingy. Mmmm, about 6-8 sets of 10-12 reps. If I have some energy left, I'll trow in some extra, if not I stop. Crunches 4 sets of 20 reps, planks and vacuums 5 x 1 minute