I keep going over my protein?!?

Options
hig17
hig17 Posts: 159 Member
I have noticed the last few food days for me I went in the negative on protein. I was wondering how the amount of protein is set and if this is bad that I am going over? I always though protein wasn't a bad thing so why would there be a limit on how much you should have? HELP!

Replies

• NewImprovedCnbethea1
    Options
    How much protein are you allowed? What type of protein are you eating that takes you over? I have not met my protein allowance yet!!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I have noticed the last few food days for me I went in the negative on protein. I was wondering how the amount of protein is set and if this is bad that I am going over? I always though protein wasn't a bad thing so why would there be a limit on how much you should have? HELP!

The MFP allowance is low in general. Unless you have kidney problems, you are in no danger.
  • mom2mykiddos
    mom2mykiddos Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I don't know for you, but I always try to go over with my protein. I simply function better when I consume 80-100grams of protein daily....I don't always get that much, though. :-)

I'd like to hear others thoughts on this, too.
  • hig17
    Options
    well it says on here that my goal is 106 grams. I ate chicken for dinner and for lunch I had a lowfat BLT. I usually eat a high protein breakfast too! I wasn't sure if this will make me gain more or add extra calories? I am still new at this....
  • hig17
    Options
    actually my goal is 87 grams and I ate 106 today...opps!
  • hig17
    Options
    No I have great kidney function just had it tested :) Thanks for your response!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    My trainer wants me at 100 grams... more if I lift heavy. Just remember that with many protiens come fat. Keep an eye on that and don't sweat it if you go over by a few grams.
  • hig17
    Options
    I have been way below on my fat grams according to the food tracker, so hopefully the added fat from protein is calculated!!!
  • NewImprovedCnbethea1
    Options
    Msbanana I love that quote!!!

hig17 you may need to change your settings as far as protein carbs and fat what exercise program are you doing or what do you do for exercise? That seems very low if your doing a hardcore workout
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    Most recommendations I've read are for eating 70% of your lean body mass (how much your muscles, bones, organs, etc. weigh without fat) in grams of protein everyday for general health. For athletes and others that workout intensely, I've read they should eat 100% of their lean body mass in grams of protein daily.

Example:

I weigh 167, I calculate approximately 26% body fat, meaning I have approximately 43 lbs of fat on my body and 124 lbs of "other". (Rough estimates...) So, 70% of 124 is 89, as in 89g of protein to eat every day. I put my minimum protein around 100 g, however, just in case I calculated something wrong.

If I'm a little under, that's ok. And if I'm a little over, that's ok, too. As long as I'm within range.

What are your percentages for your carbs/proteins/fats set at?
  • hig17
    Options
    My daily totals are:
    1, 770 calories
    243 carbs
    59g fat
    66g protein

These are what MFP calculated for me based on height, weight etc and what I want to lose, plus three 30 min workouts a week.

I was told by my doctor to count calories and he wants me in the range of 1600-1900 per day and slow weightloss to occur. Like I said I am totally new to this so I am lost?!
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    My daily totals are:
    1, 770 calories
    243 carbs
    59g fat
    66g protein

These are what MFP calculated for me based on height, weight etc and what I want to lose, plus three 30 min workouts a week.

I was told by my doctor to count calories and he wants me in the range of 1600-1900 per day and slow weightloss to occur. Like I said I am totally new to this so I am lost?!

Sounds like you're right were you need to be calorie wise based on your doctor's recommendation. Right now your ratios are set at 55% carbs, 15% protein, 30% fats. Did your doc recommend where he wanted you getting your calories from? Many people go for a 40% carb/30% protein/30% fat ratio. More protein helps to increase muscle gain, which is actually a good thing. Try playing around with your ratios by going to "goals" and then click on "custom" and editing the percentages and see what works best for you.