healthy sushi options?

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,976 Member
    Options
    What the heck are you all eating when you go for Sushi in order to be worried about the calories?

Just stay away from any tempura rolls and sauces. I can't understand why anyone would need to ask this question to be honest.

I seriously cannot grasp the idea that someone can eat 3000-5000 calories of sushi? How much of the stuff are you eating to net these kind of cals? :huh:
    Its all of the rice that raises the calories. Most sushi is loaded with rice. The rolls are rice with a veggie or veggie / seafood mix wrapped in the rice then with a seaweed wrap and usually more rice around the outside. While its very healthy its the rice that has the majority of the calories.

There are 422 calories in a cup of sushi rice. Who eats 6+ cups of rice when eating Sushi?! :-/

I'd be interested to know how many pieces everyone eats when they go and eat Sushi? Maybe it's the quantity? At the most i'll eat 5 rolls (like California rolls) and some Sashimi.
    There's about 190 cals in a cup of cooked sushi rice.......
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I order any roll I want without rice. Yum!
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I never thought to ask for the rolls with no rice. I skip the rice when I eat dinner there but now I'm thinking DUHHH. LOL. I have a favorite very spicy roll that I eat which isn't often. So when I do I consider it special and don't worry so much.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I always eat sashimi (raw fish slices) and edamame (salted soy beans). Super high in protein and pretty low calorie.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,976 Member
    Options
    I never thought to ask for the rolls with no rice.
    There's a reason why that wouldn't come to mind for the general population that eat sushi.
  • quirkyone1
    Options
    I hope I never see the day where I have to restrict so much that I'm afraid to eat sushi.
  • linaeve
    linaeve Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What the heck are you all eating when you go for Sushi in order to be worried about the calories?

Just stay away from any tempura rolls and sauces. I can't understand why anyone would need to ask this question to be honest.

I seriously cannot grasp the idea that someone can eat 3000-5000 calories of sushi? How much of the stuff are you eating to net these kind of cals? :huh:
    Its all of the rice that raises the calories. Most sushi is loaded with rice. The rolls are rice with a veggie or veggie / seafood mix wrapped in the rice then with a seaweed wrap and usually more rice around the outside. While its very healthy its the rice that has the majority of the calories.

There are 422 calories in a cup of sushi rice. Who eats 6+ cups of rice when eating Sushi?! :-/

I'd be interested to know how many pieces everyone eats when they go and eat Sushi? Maybe it's the quantity? At the most i'll eat 5 rolls (like California rolls) and some Sashimi.

I'm assuming you mean 5 pieces of rolls or 5 plates of rolls and not full rolls. A full California roll is going to be about 150 to 400 calories depending on how the chef makes it. There is a lot of sugar added to sushi rice and then if they do a krab salad instead of krab sticks in the cali rolls there is typically some mayo added. Which can account for higher amounts.

Now I am definitely not saying I am like the poster above and eat 3 to 5k calories in sushi however depending on how many calories you are trying to have in a day you may not want to spend 700 to 1500 calories on one meal! (A lot of which can come from the rice itself).

So I can definitely see why this question is asked. I LOVE sushi but typically can only get it for lunch unless I make it at home. I try to keep my lunches under 500 calories so sushi is typically not a good option for me.
  • linaeve
    Options
    I find that my best option is to just make it myself at home. This way I can control how much rice I use and eliminate any sugar in the rice. Also, i can enjoy using less rice and more yummy fish, shrimp and veggie filling so I get more of my favorite parts!

If you make it at home and want raw fish just make sure that you find a local shop that sells Sushi grade fish!
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    avocado and cucumber roll, or asparagus roll , and spicy tuna not to bad also
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    we always get the california roll, shrimp avocado roll, peanut avocado roll and usually a salmon cucumber roll. no fancy sauces, no crunches
  • stacetherainbow
    Options
    Boston rolls (salmon, cucumber, avocado) are yummy and light!
    Also, edamame is about 100 cals for a cup
    Edit: Not sure why anyone would want sushi without rice, but to each his own!
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Even thought I love it. Avoid deep fried; "spicy" tuna or "spicy rolls"; and Eel/Avocado Rolls

I just had 1 Eel and Avocado Roll yesterday with 6 pieces of sashimi - which gave me a 700 calorie lunch. The Eel / Avocado Roll was 375 Calories!!

You could always just order one roll and if you can be satisfied with that, keep that one roll as your meal. I can do that with my build your own roll which is about 400 calories top. It's salmon, avocado, ikura (large salmon roe), and tobiko (little roe). It is packed with flavor, and healthy fat and needs absolutely no sauce or anything to dip into.
  • fShaw86
    fShaw86 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Pretty much all sashimi and nigiri is healthy. Salmon and tuna are good I believe. Western-fusion sushi is a big no-no... I mean, mayo and philly cream cheese in sushi? Nope. You could stay away from the sauces, they're high in sodium lol.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options

5 rolls? or 1 roll of 5 pieces? You eat 5 rolls and I guarantee you hit near the 3k mark
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    My favorite roll now is a Sashimi roll. It's all different types of sashimi with no rice and comes with avocado and a miso/wasabi sauce.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options

I'm assuming you mean 5 pieces of rolls or 5 plates of rolls and not full rolls. A full California roll is going to be about 150 to 400 calories depending on how the chef makes it. There is a lot of sugar added to sushi rice and then if they do a krab salad instead of krab sticks in the cali rolls there is typically some mayo added. Which can account for higher amounts.

Now I am definitely not saying I am like the poster above and eat 3 to 5k calories in sushi however depending on how many calories you are trying to have in a day you may not want to spend 700 to 1500 calories on one meal! (A lot of which can come from the rice itself).

So I can definitely see why this question is asked. I LOVE sushi but typically can only get it for lunch unless I make it at home. I try to keep my lunches under 500 calories so sushi is typically not a good option for me.

The only things stoppping me from eating five rolls are cost and the server's potential reaction.
  • emc916
    emc916 Posts: 77
    Options
    If you must have the rice then a Chirashi bowl is in order. Nigiri pieces as well.

As what others have said, avoid the fried and saucy kinds (the fun ones)

Or what others have said that I live by.... eat whatever you want since you don't go everyday.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Sashimi is super low calorie. Sushi is a second best. Rolls can be good or bad based on what is in them... try to focus on rolls without sauces or tempura.

fish, avocado, cucumber, carrots, etc... all good.

tempura fried shrimp with dragon sauce not so much.
  • linaeve
    Options
    Trigger thread... After reading it and responding I went out and had some for lunch. Haven't had it in a while. Yum! lol
  • wwwdotcr
    wwwdotcr Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Sushi is awesome for carb up day... but besides that I avoid it like the plague.

For carb up day, I'll eat 30+ pieces easy. in one sitting -_-