High fat food and cholesterol

Options
366to266
366to266 Posts: 473 Member
Just received my lipid test results.

Mhe previous test was in October 2012. Through most of 2012 I was eating chocolate and wheat, potatoes, fruit etc. Then I started my high fat low carb diet. From January I went on to even higher fat and lower carb.

Since October, my overall cholesterol has dropped from 6.6 to 6. My serum cholesterol ratio has reduced from 4.4 to 4. Not bad for just 5 months. Be interesting to see what it is in a year!

My HDL and LDL are unchanged. This is interesting, since we are constantly being told that eating high fat, or saturated fat, raises cholesterol. Since October, I've been eating a diet that comprises 60 to 70 percent fat, almost all of it lard and dripping, and my HDL and LDL have not changed, and my overall cholesterol has REDUCED.

But the big news is, my triglycerides have dropped from 2.4 to 1.0. High triglyceride levels are associated with heart disease. Ideally, they should be under 1.7. So I have reduced mine to well below the healthy line. I'm pleased with that result. Again, on a very high fat diet.

For reference, it is said that perfect cholesterol should be: LDL 3 or under; HDL 1 or over; ratio: 4 or under and total cholesterol 5 or under.

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Did you change your exercise in that time at all? I'm interested since I have issues with cholesterol.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    How did your total cholesterol change if your HDL and LDL are the same? And what were those numbers and your ratio? Just curious.
  • 366to266
    Options
    How did your total cholesterol change if your HDL and LDL are the same? And what were those numbers and your ratio? Just curious.

I have no idea. I actually wondered the same! I am just quoting exactly what the doctor's receptionist told me. I have just phoned again and she says she does not know; I'd have to make an appointment and see a doc in person. I can't be bothered; I'll wait till I go in for some other reason and ask then.

But she confirmed that it has definitely dropped 0.6, which is a huge reduction.

I've been eating loads of eggs (about ten a week) and also quite a lot of prawns (about 600g a week) both of which the doctors say cause high cholesterol.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

I have no idea. I actually wondered the same! I am just quoting exactly what the doctor's receptionist told me. I have just phoned again and she says she does not know; I'd have to make an appointment and see a doc in person. I can't be bothered; I'll wait till I go in for some other reason and ask then.

But she confirmed that it has definitely dropped 0.6, which is a huge reduction.

I've been eating loads of eggs (about ten a week) and also quite a lot of prawns (about 600g a week) both of which the doctors say cause high cholesterol.

Eggs don't cause high cholesterol like we were once told.
  • pennydreadful270
    pennydreadful270 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

I have no idea. I actually wondered the same!

Your triglycerides are counted in the total. It's actually made up of 3 measurements.

But I think it's a bit odd for TG to change without LDL or HDL changing, I'm sure it would be nice to see your LDL drop a bit as well. :)
  • 366to266
    Options
    Your triglycerides are counted in the total. It's actually made up of 3 measurements.

But I think it's a bit odd for TG to change without LDL or HDL changing, I'm sure it would be nice to see your LDL drop a bit as well. :)

Ahhh, thanks for the explanation. My TG plummeted. I'm sure the other readings will change in time.

The point is, what about all the dire warnings we are given about high fat and saturated fat raising cholesterol? Mine has not changed in 5 months.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I have seen a tremendous improvement in my total cholesterol, HDL:LDL ratio and triglycerides in the past year. I think more and more doctors are changing their tune regarding high fat/low carbs vs low fat/high carbs.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Yes that is amazing. I'm a true believer that sugar, high bad carbs, have a serious effect on cholesterol. And that saturated fat is good for you, as long as it's not combined with a bad carb diet.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options

I have no idea. I actually wondered the same!

On all of my cholesterol reports there are numbers for Total Cholesterol, HDL, LDL, Triglycerides and "non-HDL".
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!