Leg Excercises

Options
I apologize if this has been posted before, I'm sure it has. However.

I'm not a HUGE workout fan. Well, thats a lie...I enjoy yoga, pilates and dance...and I do frequent the treadmill and stair stepper. I was wondering if there are any specific leg excercises aimed to help tone the back of the thighs...That doesn't include bulky gross workout equipment.

That is my one area that I'm wanting to tone up the most. The rest of my body is coming along quite well...however my legs don't seem to be quite getting the message...or I'm not doing enough for them! Either one!

What do you guys do?! I don't want to be HUGE, just lean and tone. :)

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• jdurham87
    jdurham87 Posts: 62
    Options
    It's very hard for a female to get huge due to the fact we don't have testosterone. The girl body builders on tv get huge from taking steroids. But anyways...Squats are the best leg work out! Unfortunately! They are my least favorite..I hate them with a passion but I do them because there's nothing better. Lunges are really beneficial also. Get some little barbells in your hands and do like 3 sets of 10-12 reps. Legs suck the worst out of all the muscle groups to exercise in my opinion. Good luck to ya
  • cullensbrunette
    Options
    According to Denise Austin this one is good for the back of the thighs and butt: Step forward with your right leg-slightly leaning forward-lift your left leg back behind you up and down keeping your leg straight. Repeat on other side. I hope I explained it good enough! I did it today in one of her workouts.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    first things first... ya gotta work all the muscles not just the back or the front they all work together.

that being said my typical "leg day" is:

Step ups: find a stable platform 12+ inches off the ground (or what ever's comfy to start) Step up with the right leg bring the left knee (bent) up toward the chest step back with the left leg never allowing it to touch the step up step down with the right leg. Repeat motion with the left leg as your stepper and repeat. (3 sets of 15... one rep is counted when both legs are done)

Lunges: I do walking lunges I walk the length of a raquetball court and back that's one... I do 3.

Side step squats: Standing sideways take a big step to the side with your front leg squat, stand, bring the legs together, take another big step with the forward leg, squat, stand, bring the legs together... I walk the length of the raquetball court (down and back) like that 3 times

Single leg dead lifts: (This requires a couple dumb bells) Adjust weight over the right leg. with your arms hanging in front bend at the waist keeping your right leg straight. your left leg should swing up behind you as you bend. final position dumb bells nearly on the floor. Straighten and repeat... switch legs. 3 sets of 15 for each leg. (these will REALLY work those hamstrings SO... don't hate me if you try this and can't walk the next day. you've been warned.)

Hope this helps. Some of these were hard to write out.

:drinker:
  • courtshort86
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for your advice! I will try these!

:):)