calorie burn comparisons

casshole
casshole Posts: 68 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I just got this MIO HRM that I used for the first time today. I went out for a walk/jog for almost 40 minutes, and my HRM said I burned 474 calories. I compared this to some websites that have calorie burn calculators, and they all say I have burned between 200-300 calories. I know that the HRM takes the percentage of your heart rate and such, but is this number still quite accurate?

Replies

• hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    It's closer to 400 calories ... you're supposed to subtract about 100 calories per hour when using a HRM. Else you can turn it on for an hour, do nothing, and claim that you "burned" 100 calories, hehe.
  • What your HRM (chest strap is the best) says is pretty close to accurate. Your HR is the best indicator for calories burned. A lot of the websites are average. If I go to the gym my chest strap syncs up with the machine I am one. When I am finished with my workout the calories burned on machine and those listed on my watch are very close together, even closer when i get up to 45 minute work out or so.
This discussion has been closed.