cautions on exercise DVDs

Options
i bought the 30ds and i was slightly put off by the lack of health warnings & guidelines.
divina's work outs all make you listen to a 'consult your doc, do not exercise on pain killers, listen to your body, exercise x times a week.' before you can play the workout. i like that. it reassures me.
right or wrong, the lack of health cautions being thrust in my face makes me question the entire workout, makes me wonder if the advice given is as safe as it should be.

am i just the product of a nanny state?
or does it cross anyone else's mind?

Replies

• weatheredcheese
    weatheredcheese Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    am yet to have brought a fitness dvd as I prefer doing my excercise outside but if it doesn't have the usual standard warnings this would put me off slightly, but at the same time alot of it is common sense.
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me. To be honest, I didn't really notice. I always skip those messages anyways. LOL Maybe Jillian just takes it for granted that people will be smart enough to have the common sense to already know that. Besides, if a person is "that" out of shape, I'm not sure they could even get through the first 5 minutes of any of her dvd's. LOL
  • skinnyme444
    Options
    Hi, i've done the 30 day shredsand googled so many reviews - it seems to be people who are quite over weight tend to get injured, esp in the knees! I weigh about 152lbs and i've been fine with it! I guess it depends on co-ordination also, you need to put effort into the moves. You will see results, inches wise. Unfortunately I did not measure myself but could see a difference after one week, you probably won't see a big weight loss scales wise, maybe some weight gain as you will retain more water weight for new muscles forming! I have never stuck the 30 days but I am getting back on track and i'm going to start next week - good luck :-)
  • Sunny_fit4life
    Sunny_fit4life Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It creeps me out that it is mysteriously never mentioned how many days a week you should do the workout. It is not mentioned in the video or on the cover/packaging. It is implied that you should do it 30 days in a row, though, by the title and by the fact that she keeps telling you not to rest because you have to stress your body to get it to change fast. I just can't imagine working out 30 days in a row and not giving your body time to rest. Does that make me a baby? Maybe.
  • succubaeangel
    Options
    I never liked Jillian's dvds for that exact reason: very little is said about safety. I had knee issues for months after doing a couple of her dvds. Of course it was my fault for haivng bad form but I was just starting out! Anyway. That's just my opinion.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    there are warnings in the beginning of p90x. one of which says not to do it if you've ever had a knee injury...tony horton goes on about his knee replacement in one of the work outs.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    am yet to have brought a fitness dvd as I prefer doing my excercise outside but if it doesn't have the usual standard warnings this would put me off slightly, but at the same time alot of it is common sense.
    i would love to think that most people had common sense. i would love to.
    unfortunately, my observations do not reassure me.
    It doesn't bother me. To be honest, I didn't really notice. I always skip those messages anyways. LOL Maybe Jillian just takes it for granted that people will be smart enough to have the common sense to already know that. Besides, if a person is "that" out of shape, I'm not sure they could even get through the first 5 minutes of any of her dvd's. LOL
    uh huh. those messages are the background noise to me lacing my shoes & moving all the lego boobytraps that the kidlet has left out for unwary feet. they're irritating in that the disc will not let me skip past it, but i still like that it's there.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    Well they have those warning for a reason, some people don't know their medical condition and since they aren't there to physically walk you through and check your form it makes it a little harder.

My freshman year in college guy I knew who was over weight tried to lose it and started his own program without any advice had a heart attack and died because he over did it, so they might not have the answers on the dvd mainly because they don't know your medical history but always go see a doc get checked out before starting any program
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    i bought the 30ds and i was slightly put off by the lack of health warnings & guidelines.
    divina's work outs all make you listen to a 'consult your doc, do not exercise on pain killers, listen to your body, exercise x times a week.' before you can play the workout. i like that. it reassures me.
    right or wrong, the lack of health cautions being thrust in my face makes me question the entire workout, makes me wonder if the advice given is as safe as it should be.

am i just the product of a nanny state?
    or does it cross anyone else's mind?

My vote is "product of a nanny state." Personally, I get mad if I can't fast-forward them.
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    It creeps me out that it is mysteriously never mentioned how many days a week you should do the workout. It is not mentioned in the video or on the cover/packaging. It is implied that you should do it 30 days in a row, though, by the title and by the fact that she keeps telling you not to rest because you have to stress your body to get it to change fast. I just can't imagine working out 30 days in a row and not giving your body time to rest. Does that make me a baby? Maybe.
    i'm a baby too!

i quite like some of the segments so i'll pick & choose what bit's to do and i ignore her time frame. if you're knackered your form suffers, if your form is bad you're prone to injury. if i notice my form slipping then i stop and o something different. i listen to my body.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I agree about not exercising on painkillers. You want to really just sit back and enjoy those things. Maybe have a beer or two with them.
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    Well they have those warning for a reason, some people don't know their medical condition and since they aren't there to physically walk you through and check your form it makes it a little harder.

My freshman year in college guy I knew who was over weight tried to lose it and started his own program without any advice had a heart attack and died because he over did it, so they might not have the answers on the dvd mainly because they don't know your medical history but always go see a doc get checked out before starting any program
    that is so sad :-(

jeez... i don't know what to say to that.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I think most people probably dont take most of those warnings seriously or even bother to read them.

I would love to be able to do some of them and have tried to do some. But I have double knee replacements and after 3 days of Jillians 30DS, I found myself back at the ortho doc with a severe lecture about no running, no jumping, no hopping, etc. I wish there was an exercise video for people like myself because I really need an indoor workout when I cant swim or walk.

If anyone knows of one, please message me. Thanks.
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Have several of Jillian's vids and multiple others and in nearly every one the warning is on the screen to consult with a physician before engaging in activity, results not typical (which is a disclaimer on this site as well), ad nauseum.

I vote for nanny state. If you're too busy to read the warnings or ignore them altogether or don't pay attention to proper form during the excercises you are likely to injure yourself. This is even moreso for those not used to doing excercises.

Here I thought it was just men that didn't read or pay attention to instructions...
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    I think most people probably dont take most of those warnings seriously or even bother to read them.

I would love to be able to do some of them and have tried to do some. But I have double knee replacements and after 3 days of Jillians 30DS, I found myself back at the ortho doc with a severe lecture about no running, no jumping, no hopping, etc. I wish there was an exercise video for people like myself because I really need an indoor workout when I cant swim or walk.

If anyone knows of one, please message me. Thanks.
    when i give myself dumb leg injuries, i just play with my punchbag.
    it hangs on one post of my 4 poster bed and causes men to frown.
    you can really work up a sweat without putting strain on your legs.
  • succubaeangel
    Options
    there are warnings in the beginning of p90x. one of which says not to do it if you've ever had a knee injury...tony horton goes on about his knee replacement in one of the work outs.

Agreed. From the many dvds I've tried, P90X is one of the safest, especially if you do Cardio X instead of Plyo). Well, P90 is safer but that's too easy so it doesn't count. ;)
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    I vote for nanny state. If you're too busy to read the warnings or ignore them altogether or don't pay attention to proper form during the excercises you are likely to injure yourself. This is even moreso for those not used to doing excercises.

Here I thought it was just men that didn't read or pay attention to instructions...
    but there are no warnings to read! not on the dvd i bought.
    i actually went looking for them, because the lack of them troubled me.
    that is what the thread is about.
  • rsoice
    rsoice Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Have 30 day shread at home, bought it at Target, it has all the warnings. Not sure where you bought yours but if it's a reproduction they may not have copied all of it.
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    Have 30 day shread at home, bought it at Target, it has all the warnings. Not sure where you bought yours but if it's a reproduction they may not have copied all of it.
    ordered online from somewhere that seemed straight up.
    i'm not the only one in this thread to notice the lack, so perhaps it was cut from or added to certain editions...
    or maybe we've been hoodwinked!

but it's not the first US import i've noticed that with.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    We live in a law suit happy society. The companies are just protecting themselves.

Remember when McDonalds added the warning "contents are hot" to the coffee cup? They did it after being sued.