A pound a month, now its back

Options
So it took me 3 MONTHS to lose 3 pounds. I went down from 150 to 147. Last week I was back to 150, and this morning I weighed 151. My goal weight is 140-145.

I am eating 1500 net calories everyday and exercising regularly. I am just so frustrated because I have been at this for 3 months now. Am thinking about going back to 1200 for a little bit because at least that gave me some results, but it is well below my BMR so I know it is not healthy.... Why does it seem like my body is fighting me and it is just so much harder than it should be??

Edit to say my profile picture is me 15 pounds lighter than today, before you start telling me I don't need to lose weight :)

Replies

• orapronobis
    orapronobis Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Bump to see suggestions.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    When you are within 10 pounds of your goal weight it comes off waaaaaaaaaaay sloooooooooow. What kind of exercise are you doing? I was a cardio junkie, but until I started lifting heavy (for me) weights, nothing moved.
  • queenbee47340
    Options
    Even if I weigh the same... I am starting to see cottage cheese on my hips and thighs. I usually dont't go over 1500 cal a day, and at least i pay attention to what I eat now, but it seems like an endless battle of the bulge. I got tired of trying to fit into last years bikinis...so I gave in an bought a couple of 1 piece suits. It will make me feel and look better. I know it removes my motivation...but that point was moot anyways.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You have 5 pounds to lose... it's not going to come off easy, and it sure won't stay off easy.

Have you eaten a lot of sodium lately? Are you due to get your period soon?

Both of those can contribute to water weight gain. If it sticks around, then it's real weight gain... but if it comes off with in a week or two, then you don't have anything to worry about it.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i can lose 3lbs with a good poop
  • estrange22
    estrange22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

I like you Randy.
  • Annelies11
    Annelies11 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    When you are within 10 pounds of your goal weight it comes off waaaaaaaaaaay sloooooooooow. What kind of exercise are you doing? I was a cardio junkie, but until I started lifting heavy (for me) weights, nothing moved.

Hi Maria,

I do pushups, squats, lunges etc with heavy weights 20 minutes 4x a week. I do HIIT on my bike for 15 minutes 4 times a week on a high resistance. I know I could do a lot more but this is something I can maintain. I don't want to go crazy and then completely give up after a few weeks. Besides the HIIT (which I do at high resistance so it is also muscle), I don't do extra cardio. I have bursitis in my hips so I can't run for more than a mile without them getting inflamed.
  • Annelies11
    Options

LOL! I can't!
  • Annelies11
    Options
    You have 5 pounds to lose... it's not going to come off easy, and it sure won't stay off easy.

Both of those can contribute to water weight gain. If it sticks around, then it's real weight gain... but if it comes off with in a week or two, then you don't have anything to worry about it.

TOM just finished. And yes I have been having some carbs and sodium which can cause bloat. Today I am going to skip the bread, rice, pasta... and drink lots of water, and see what happens to the scale.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

TOM just finished. And yes I have been having some carbs and sodium which can cause bloat. Today I am going to skip the bread, rice, pasta... and drink lots of water, and see what happens to the scale.

Well theres your answer.

If TOM just finished, your probably seeing the after affects that aren't gone yet.

Couple that with sodium, and you have extra weight.

Drink extra water, and don't worry about the carbs too much... I mean, it may help to not eat them but I don't think it will make that much of a difference.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Sure, you could drop down to 1200 cals and you stand a good chance of losing more weight. However, losing at this level you also stand a good chance of regaining weight once you start to eat more again, then where does that leave you?

It's unlikely you gained 3lbs of true weight in a week. Stick with what you're doing and give it time. With less than 10lbs left to lose you should only be aiming to lose around 1/2lb per week.
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    try going high and low on calories. go over on the protein but keep everything under. up your water to 10 to 12 a day. i usually exercise everyday too but i will go high and low on that to and sometimes miss a day. I did those and started to lose after i plateaued. i think it kind of shocks your system
  • kmstieg
    kmstieg Posts: 58
    Options

This ^ totally made me laugh!!
  • tdelo7634
    tdelo7634 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you have to bread, rice, and pasta eat whole wheat, and earlier in the day opposed to later. Make sure you are not eating to many carbs.
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options

^^^ THIS (even more if it's fiber load day) & he's my hero.

Water weight. Watch your sodium intake. Also (not being sexist here) I'd avoid the scale around your period. Since you are close to your goal weight you MUST be very patient. Your body IS going to fight you for every single pound. That's what it is designed to do, store fat and keep you alive.

I'd focus more on body fat % at this point. Your weight can fluctuate 3-5 pounds daily just from water alone so just stepping on a scale should never be your only measurement tool if you are near your lean weight. For example... I gain 3 pounds after every leg day. It's pure water weight... period. I also gain 3 pounds the day after having a nice steak dinner... again water weight. It takes water to repair muscles and digest food. See?

So I always weigh myself on the same day of the week (once per week), first thing in the morning after the morning bathroom visit, in my underwear (i have kids), and NEVER the day after leg day or within 2 days of having red meat. This is also when I use my Omron meter to measure my BF% and BMI. Now I'm armed with accurate numbers.

Do your clothes fit better? Do you see results in the mirror? Etc...

I got one of these when they were on sale... http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-306C-Loss-Monitor-Black/dp/B000FYZMYK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1364476312&sr=8-7&keywords=omron

This is what I use to measure my progress along with how my pants fit and what I see in the mirror.

If you are hyper vigilant... check out these... http://www.bodymedia.com/explore.html

It really works (I have mine on right now). This can get you zoned in daily on your TDEE vs. intake very quickly. That way you are guaranteed to stay at your caloric deficit daily. For you I'd shoot for 500/day since you are near your goal weight.

Hope this helps.
  • Annelies11
    Options

^^^ THIS (even more if it's fiber load day) & he's my hero.

Water weight. Watch your sodium intake. Also (not being sexist here) I'd avoid the scale around your period. Since you are close to your goal weight you MUST be very patient. Your body IS going to fight you for every single pound. That's what it is designed to do, store fat and keep you alive.

I'd focus more on body fat % at this point. Your weight can fluctuate 3-5 pounds daily just from water alone so just stepping on a scale should never be your only measurement tool if you are near your lean weight. For example... I gain 3 pounds after every leg day. It's pure water weight... period. I also gain 3 pounds the day after having a nice steak dinner... again water weight. It takes water to repair muscles and digest food. See?

So I always weigh myself on the same day of the week (once per week), first thing in the morning after the morning bathroom visit, in my underwear (i have kids), and NEVER the day after leg day or within 2 days of having red meat. This is also when I use my Omron meter to measure my BF% and BMI. Now I'm armed with accurate numbers.

Do your clothes fit better? Do you see results in the mirror? Etc...

I got one of these when they were on sale... http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-306C-Loss-Monitor-Black/dp/B000FYZMYK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1364476312&sr=8-7&keywords=omron

This is what I use to measure my progress along with how my pants fit and what I see in the mirror.

If you are hyper vigilant... check out these... http://www.bodymedia.com/explore.html

It really works (I have mine on right now). This can get you zoned in daily on your TDEE vs. intake very quickly. That way you are guaranteed to stay at your caloric deficit daily. For you I'd shoot for 500/day since you are near your goal weight.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, it really does help. My clothes do feel a little looser, and I just feel better in general. I weighed myself a couple days later and the pounds were gone again. It MUST be water weight. I'm thinking about getting the Omron.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Scroll to the bottom & look at the last two pix -- she's heavier in the picture on the right, yet her body fat % is lower & she is 'smaller'