Nutritional information

Options
I have just started my weightloss journey this past week and I am doing well at keeping track of single items, but I am having trouble figuring out how many calories is in something I make with lots of ingredients or in something someone else makes or at a restaurant. I have scowered the internet and when I can't find something it frustrates me that I might eat too much of something since I don't know what is in it. Does anyone have any secrets or tips to help me out? I would appreciate any help and maybe I will get some new friends to support in the process. Thanks :smile: Nicki

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Use the 'Recipes' function to input your own recipes.

You input all the ingredients, state how many people your recipe serves and MFP calculates the nutritional data for that meal for you. You can then save it so it's there ready to use next time you make that meal or edit if you alter a couple of ingredients instead of having to re-enter it all again.
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I take a guess if I really can't figure it out, most of the time I can find something on the internet that will give me a good idea of total calories. When I am really concerned that the food prepared for me is too rich I will only take a small portion and load up on veggies.
    Also, don't eat at restaurants/takeout too often.
  • nicolen160
    nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I seen the recipes function on here and thought that it would help, but then I wasn't sure how to decide how many servings is in something I am making from scratch. How do you know what the serving size should be and how many your recipe makes? I am probably making this way more complicated than it should be, but I am just not sure. Thanks for all your help.
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I guesstimate the number of serving.
    When I make muffins it usually makes 24 minis, sometimes though it makes less for whatever reason, I still put 24.
    When I make cookies this is an issue but being close enough will work, it's not like you're eating 100 so under or overestimating by 20 cal can't be that big of a deal. Sometimes if I am eating a really rich food I will weigh it on my food scale and look for that item by weight is I can be as close as possible. Just the fact you are aware and watching what you eat will tranform the way you think of portions, at least it did for me. I don't eat mindlessly anymore.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I seen the recipes function on here and thought that it would help, but then I wasn't sure how to decide how many servings is in something I am making from scratch. How do you know what the serving size should be and how many your recipe makes? I am probably making this way more complicated than it should be, but I am just not sure. Thanks for all your help.

I usually dish meals out into 'portions'. I.e. I'll serve up myself and my partner and divide whatever is left into portions of a similar size to freeze for later. It's all going to be an estimate but it gives a good idea.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Use the 'Recipes' function to input your own recipes.

You input all the ingredients, state how many people your recipe serves and MFP calculates the nutritional data for that meal for you. You can then save it so it's there ready to use next time you make that meal or edit if you alter a couple of ingredients instead of having to re-enter it all again.

^^This and as far as resturants go.. if the calories aren't listed... I personally go simple like a salad (no croutons or cheese) and grilled chicken brest or steak with no dressing. I ask for a lemon wedge for the salad or vinegar and oil to add my own. The simpler the meal the easier it is too estimate the calories.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options

I usually dish meals out into 'portions'. I.e. I'll serve up myself and my partner and divide whatever is left into portions of a similar size to freeze for later. It's all going to be an estimate but it gives a good idea.

^^ this is how I do it too.
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Don't get too hung up on this - It's actually easy to change the serving size in the recipe function if your initial guesstimate is wrong. Generally, what I do though is estimate a smaller number of servings, so if I'm off, I'm overestimating my calories rather than underestimating. I generally estimate that I get 4 servings for most of my recipes (often fairly large servings....)

As for guesstimating for restaurant calories, I generally look for similar items within the database and try to fill out my diary that way (taking the highest calorie count, so, again, I'm over-estimating rather than underestimating). If I'm pressed for time, I'll do quick cals, and then in the "food note" portion of the diary, I'll set forth everything that I had. I don't like using quick calories though because I think it's easy to underestimate quick cals.
  • nicolen160
    Options
    I think I have been over estimating on things but better to over estimate than under.... I will try out the recipes function for my next meal and see how that works out for me. Thanks for everyone's suggestions, there are very helpful!! :smile:
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Also with the recipe function, if you have a smartphone it's easier to do it that way. I just use the scan function on the recipe creator on my phone while I'm making the recipe. Quick and easy, then you just have to guestimate how many servings it is.
  • nicolen160
    Options
    I completely agree with the scan function, LOVE IT!!!! That is the plan next time I cook :) I let you know how it works out, I have found a bunch of new recipes on Pinterest (which is my newest addiction) so can't wait to try some out.