Low Sodium Meals, Recipes, and snacks

Options
I've recently realized that I consume a lot of sodium every day. That wouldn't be a problem except I have hypertension and I'm supposed to stay within under my daily sodium goal.

I already know to avoid canned foods and the majority of frozen dinners, but now what?

I thought it would be nice to have a forum to post different recipes, snack ideas, and cooking tips that are low sodium, as it's not as easy to come by as one might think.

Here are few that I've come across so far:

-Frozen or fresh vegetables instead of canned vegetables

-Swiss cheese seems to be the melting cheese with the lowest sodium count. I'm going use that instead of cheddar from now on. If a recipe calls for a lot of cheddar, I'll put half cheddar and half Swiss.

-My recipe for Spaghetti sauce:

1 can Hunts diced tomatoes - no salt added
1 can Hunts tomato sauce - no salt added
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup of chunky salsa
1 cup chopped sweet green pepper
Season with oregano, basil and pepper.

Combine all in a pot and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Add meat and let simmer at least 10 more minutes

Without meat, the salt count if this is 787mg. I put that it serves 5 (but it could probably serve more), so at 5 servings, this sauce is 158mg sodium. I compared it to Ragu jar sauce which is average 450mg sodium per serving. I sometimes add a little sweetener, but that shouldn't change the sodium content.

That's all I have so far. Anyone have any ideas/recipes to share?

Replies

• GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Find the "eaten frequently" items in your meals that have higher salt content and make them from scratch yourself.

I went from 300% of Sodium RDA to 100% by cooking (every 3 months) and canning (or freezing) the following items:

Chicken Soup
    French Onion Soup
    Spaghetti sauce
    Belgium Waffles
    Chili
    Wheat bread
    Refried beans
    Salsa
    Baked beans

High salt diets for most people translate to higher medical costs in the later part of a shortened life span.

Side benefit: cost savings.

I have a large vegetable garden that produces 10 out of 12 months of the year (Southern California). I found that I save over 2 times more money by cooking many of my own foods from scratch, than I do from growing many of the ingredients.

Processed food costs you more money now (higher food bill) and even more later (higher medical costs), not to mention the social stigma of obesity and subsequent self image problems.

My wife and I now experiment with new recipes. We are having fun in the kitchen together (I'm the apprentice), enjoying more elegant tasteful meals, and saving our health and our pocketbook from early demise.

Your freedom to choose. Choose wisely.
  • jennderryberry
    jennderryberry Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too have recently started a low sodium diet. I am not sure what number I should be shooting for but trying to stay under 1,000 mg per day. My trainer at the gym has suggested watching labels and if it has over 70-80 mg per serving don't buy it. I too am looking for great recipes, stuff that I can make over the weekend and eat for lunch all week long at work.

So far I have found these favorites foods not necessarily receipes...
    Chicken tenderloins - baked in original (not seasoned) panko bread crumbs (check the label for sodium) and spices, usually crushed red pepper, black pepper, onion powder and minced garlic.
    Wing It sauce - Sweet and Tangy sauce (found near the buffalo wing sauce)
    Cream of Wheat - 1 minute variety cooked with 1/2 a banana and a Pure Via (stevia) packet. Smells like banana bread, this is my afternoon snack when I am working out in the evening.
    Gia Russa - Low sodium spaghetti sauce (for fast and easy)
    Food for Life - 7 Sprouted Grains Bread - you find it in the freezer section at the grocery and I keep it in the fridge; toasted with
    Boar's Head - low fat Muenster cheese (I don't like swiss so this was a great find for me)
    Boar's Head - Low Sodium Top Round Roast Beef (this and the no salt turkey are the only deli meat I am allowing myself)

These aren't exactly recipes but maybe will help inspire some, I am still figuring out what works well but they are some of my favorite foods right now.
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I too have recently started a low sodium diet. I am not sure what number I should be shooting for but trying to stay under 1,000 mg per day. My trainer at the gym has suggested watching labels and if it has over 70-80 mg per serving don't buy it. I too am looking for great recipes, stuff that I can make over the weekend and eat for lunch all week long at work.

So far I have found these favorites foods not necessarily receipes...
    Chicken tenderloins - baked in original (not seasoned) panko bread crumbs (check the label for sodium) and spices, usually crushed red pepper, black pepper, onion powder and minced garlic.
    Wing It sauce - Sweet and Tangy sauce (found near the buffalo wing sauce)
    Cream of Wheat - 1 minute variety cooked with 1/2 a banana and a Pure Via (stevia) packet. Smells like banana bread, this is my afternoon snack when I am working out in the evening.
    Gia Russa - Low sodium spaghetti sauce (for fast and easy)
    Food for Life - 7 Sprouted Grains Bread - you find it in the freezer section at the grocery and I keep it in the fridge; toasted with
    Boar's Head - low fat Muenster cheese (I don't like swiss so this was a great find for me)
    Boar's Head - Low Sodium Top Round Roast Beef (this and the no salt turkey are the only deli meat I am allowing myself)

These aren't exactly recipes but maybe will help inspire some, I am still figuring out what works well but they are some of my favorite foods right now.

Be careful. If you're concerned about sodium, talk to your doc, not your trainer. Your body needs a certain amount of sodium per day, even those of us with hypertension are advised to cap it at 1500. Your body needs sodium for your spinal cord and other important body parts.