Sugar In Fruits....

Options
OK! I know that we should try to keep our sugar intake to an absolute limit but what about fruits like grapes, bananas, pineapple & oranges? I mean they are sugar loaded and I'm just a bit confused whether this sugar has the same effects let's say, like candy? It's still sugar right? So how does our bodies differentiate between the sugars? Also, fruit juices & squash!! Can I get help please?

I know it sounds like an idiotic question but it's just one of those things bugging me. Thank U all for your answers...

Replies

• lindseymaekeller
    Options
    I'd definitely like an answer to this as well!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    With natural sugars you are getting the benefit of also eating the nutrients that come along with the fruit. With processed sugar, you are eating nothing but empty calories. For the record, I don't record my sugar intake because it all comes from natural sources. Unless you have a health issue, I wouldn't worry about natural sugars.
  • careydesignstudio
    Options
    With natural sugars you are getting the benefit of also eating the nutrients that come along with the fruit. With processed sugar, you are eating nothing but empty calories. For the record, I don't record my sugar intake because it all comes from natural sources. Unless you have a health issue, I wouldn't worry about natural sugars.

This is right. Don't worry about the sugar from fruits and veggies, just eat them.
  • LoveCR22
    LoveCR22 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I was always over on my sugar so just stopped tracking it as its no longer coming from junk food and pop.
    I just track Calories, Carbs, Fat, Protein & Sodium
  • Eeyore_Chick
    Eeyore_Chick Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I know for diabetics sugar is sugar, it doesn't matter what source it comes from. Your body will still turn unused sugars into fat - however with the fruits you are also receiving the nutrients & fibres which they contain naturally. It is usually best to offset any sugar with protein to help your body process it
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I keep an eye on sugars becasue I have reactive hypoglycemia. So I just monitor what I'm pairing with those sugars and seem to do fine. I don't sweat sugars from natural sources like fruits and veggies. Pretty sure none of us joined MFP because of our obsession with fruits and vegetables! LOL
  • taylorckt1
    taylorckt1 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    For the first 10 weeks of my journey, I included fruits...since then, I have eliminated them because for me, they somewhat stall my progress due to how my body processes sugar...every person will be different...I have 2 friends that eat it & still have excellent progress. I eat tons of veggies which provide the same vitamins/nutrients & take a multivitamin daily. I also drink 6 ozs of pure fruit juice daily.

You have to know what works for your body & the only way u learn is by experimenting.

Good Luck!
  • Gworkmanii
    Gworkmanii Posts: 19 Member
    Options
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    With PCOS and IR, even sugars in fruit can mess up my metabolic process. If you have no health conditions, I don't see a need to monitor.
  • spike90
    spike90 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I always make a note in the comment section of my diary how many grams of sugar were from fruit (as they always put me over) and I also eat some sugary snacks so I don't count the fruit numbers.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I know for diabetics sugar is sugar, it doesn't matter what source it comes from. Your body will still turn unused sugars into fat - however with the fruits you are also receiving the nutrients & fibres which they contain naturally. It is usually best to offset any sugar with protein to help your body process it

For a diabetic, carbs is carbs. Sugar is irrelevant.

You're better off eating strawberies (fruit sugar, but not much net carbs) than a baked potato (all starch, but a lot of carbs).
  • selina884
    selina884 Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I would be more concerned for those who completely cut out fruits than those who consume them.
  • arkgirl81
    arkgirl81 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I eat only whold food too. I don't have diabetis, so i don't worry with it. I don't crazy over do it either though. My advice would be just to avoid fruit juice. If you want juice, make veggie juices. I always go over on my sugar, i don't worry about it.
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I never monitor sugar from fruit/veg ...though I do eat a fair bit of fruit...ahh well

processed foods and CHOCOLATE and apple crumble and anything else super lovely I do check, not necessarily count but I check and decide whether it's worth it !
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Unless you are diabetic you do not need to limit your sugar intake. If you are worried for whatever reason, then at least follow the WHO guidelines and only worry about added sugars (processed sugar, syrup, HFCS and the like). Naturally occurring sugars in fruit and milk, etc. can be safely ignored and the nutrition benefit of those foods shouldn't be missed.
  • colorslide
    colorslide Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sugar is sugar, regardless of where it comes from. Yes, you're getting a ton of vitamins and minerals from them, so don't cut them out. I would however limit them to berries and only a couple of servings a day if you're trying to drop fat.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm over my sugars everyday. I don't even bother tracking my sugars because they all come from fruits and veggies. I'm not going to cut back on fruits and veggies because they have sugars. That would be kind of silly.
  • weatheredcheese
    weatheredcheese Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    great link, really good read