Focus on just calories???

Options
Rivers2k
Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
Do you focus on other categories logged by MFP (fat, suger,sodium) or just the calories? I am down 10 lbs in 6 weeks so I am pretty happy. I was going back through my diary and I noticed I was often way over in Fat and Sodium due to all the protein type meals (nuts, meat, eggs) I have been eating.

My blood work is fine as far cholesterol and blood pressure goes should I worry about the fat and sodium intake as long as I am under my calories?

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    If your numbers are fine, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't look just at calories--I try to hit my protein and fat goals, and get at least close on calcium and iron. At the end of the week I'm almost always over on sugar but under on total carbs, so I don't worry about that. Or sodium, because my blood pressure is on the low side of normal--if I cut sodium, it goes even lower and I actually get head rushes when I stand up.
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My main focus is on my calories, but I also do try and stick to targets for protein (>100 g) and fiber (>30 g) daily. I track my sodium, but largely because I like to get a gauge on possible water retention if my weight fluctuates. As for carbs, sugar, and fat, I don't really take any notice of them.
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    The default macros are notoriously low in protein and high in carbs. You may want to reset them to something more appropriate for you.

I keep an eye on saturated fat (doctor's orders) and protein as well as calories. The rest sorts itself out over the week. I do take a multi to fill in any gaps; I take an anti-acid med so intake can be an issue.