How do you know if you are being scammed?

Options

Replies

• Imadarkswan
    Imadarkswan Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Alright people we all I am sure understand that many people on here are
    not who they claim to be right?? So how do you know if the person you are
    actually interacting with is who they say they are?

Could this person really be the hottie you think they are OR could they be that creep
    living in a dark basement somewhere thriving on pretending to be the person they are not!!

This site is great for encouragement and support but what about the internet scamers. The ones
    out there that prey on the vulnerable... just telling the unsuspecting pawn in their game what they want to hear.
    There is TONS of flirting going on around this site and I was just wondering if you all actually believe the
    one you are flirting with are who they perceive to be or does it even matter to you?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

You don't know if the person is who they say they are. They could be anyone for all you know.
    Scammers are everywhere, not just the internet. They just have access to more people on the internet.
    You have to be careful who you trust. As for the flirting, I do not read those threads so I am largely unaware of how much goes on.
  • shosho420
    shosho420 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Like they said on catfish "SKYPE IT OUT"
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

Could this person really be the hottie you think they are OR could they be that creep
    living in a dark basement somewhere thriving on pretending to be the person they are not!!

It doesn't really matter.
    It's not like you're going to give them power of attorney.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    It's always a risk on the internet. I learned my lesson back on AOL 4.0.

Now there is http://www.tineye.com/ and copying and pasting image URLs into google and doing and image search. It will pick up as many times that image is used as it can. Then you can kind of piece together a little bit.

But, I flirt with unattractive people anyway. :wink:

Yup, I got my internet wisdom back in the AOL and early yahoo days. Awesome site btw.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

This site is great for encouragement and support but what about the internet scamers. The ones
    out there that prey on the vulnerable... just telling the unsuspecting pawn in their game what they want to hear.
    There is TONS of flirting going on around this site and I was just wondering if you all actually believe the
    one you are flirting with are who they perceive to be or does it even matter to you?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Bonjour! Not sure it matters if people are who they say they are. If I know you or don't know you, I'll still evaluate what you have to say the same way.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    InternetLies.jpg
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options

Now there is http://www.tineye.com/ and copying and pasting image URLs into google and doing and image search. It will pick up as many times that image is used as it can. Then you can kind of piece together a little bit.

I never thought about doing that until I watched Catfish.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    InternetLies.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

I never thought about doing that until I watched Catfish.
    I've never heard of Catfish. I learned to do this here on MFP a couple years ago when a girl who was very successful with her weight loss was Photoshopping her face on to internet stock images. And really, with no need. She had legitimate pictures of herself that showed she'd lost the weight. Someone else figured her out, but I learned about image reversals then.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Always ask for video on Skype....problem solved.....
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I'm hot, wealthy, and enormously successful. I work as a well-known actress in Hollywood, have been a lingerie model, former cover girl for Sports Illustrated, married to a basket ball star, divorced from a current NFL player, and spend most of my time traveling between the French Riviera and the Greek islands on my 225-foot, private yacht. I've hung out with George Clooney and Brad Pitt has agreed to be my child's God parent.

Everyone wants me or is jealous of me for my perfect life. Don't be hating.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    My profile is completely made up. I even have a throwaway email address that I used to create my profile. I could never hope to be as exciting or handsome as the person I have chosen to be in my profile.

I'm really a 37 year old unemployed, socially inept, cosplay gamer living in my Parents' basement.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I'm really Elton John, but must hide my identity as not to attract attention.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I'm hot, wealthy, and enormously successful. I work as a well-known actress in Hollywood, have been a lingerie model, former cover girl for Sports Illustrated, married to a basket ball star, divorced from a current NFL player, and spend most of my time traveling between the French Riviera and the Greek islands on my 225-foot, private yacht. I've hung out with George Clooney and Brad Pitt has agreed to be my child's God parent.

Everyone wants me or is jealous of me for my perfect life. Don't be hating.

Pfft please.... you ain't got nothing on me.

I had subway.

'Nuff said.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    spoon pics.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

My basement is not dark!

LOL
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    my one internet rule.... no one on the internet is real. You are all a figment of my imagination and live in my computer to entertain me.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Actions. Trust peoples actions, not just mere words and looks
  • missyj1115
    missyj1115 Posts: 1,220 Member
    Options
    You guys are ALL hilarious this is just cracking me up!!! :laugh:
  • shosho420
    shosho420 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    If someone is pathetic enough to want to meet their soul mate from a calorie counting website they should be smart enough to use skype before they officially meet.